Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Atlantic Wolf

Hello everyone!

UBoat simulator I'm working on:
http://atlanticwolf.gigacities.net/

Notes:
*** It requires FrameWork ***
1. The demo contains, for now, only 1 destroyer, which is crippled.
2. Most of the UBoat controling options work.
3. You can fire torpedo by pressing [Enter]. It will be shot at the angle of the view, so make sure you are watching directly on the ship.
4. There might be some bugs. But nothing particular I've noticed.
5. Another cool option is a Spitfire striking your sub (by pressing [A]). If you want it to hit you, you need to stop any movement of the sub, and to be at depth less than 5 meters.

The graphics are not in high quality, because my programming skills are hobbyist.

Please give me comments!
Wolfnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-08, 08:31 AM   #2
Deamon
Commodore

Downloads: 5

Neat! Holly crap there are more folks out there

Welcome on board mate

Always nice to see what other people are doing out there.

Tell us something about you. Are you a student or something ?

I understand that this is just a hobby project or do you have bigger ambitions with that ? There is only so little information on your site. You seem to be very new here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfnon
*** It requires FrameWork ***
Just for less hassle for the users, provide a download link on your site to that framework.

Quote:
The graphics are not in high quality, because my programming skills are hobbyist.
Is there a screenshot of the u-boat ?

Quote:
Please give me comments!
Will check your demo out and give you a report.
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-08, 09:59 AM   #3
Wolfnon
Swabbie

Yes I'm new here. I've looked out for a place to publish my project and get fair comments, because I put a lot of work on making it realistic as posible. The common gamer can't tell the difference between the newest nuclear submarine and the oldest diesel.

I am a student for accounting (nothing to do with computers). Thats why the project is only a hobby. Though, if the right oppurtunity will apear, I will be glad to join it.
And by the way, if someone needs help in making a simulator (of any kind. In the programming side, not the graphics side) i can help.

The FrameWork coming with every Windows XP and above. (The reason it requires this framework its because it is programed in VB.NET).
Here's a link http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/net.../aa569263.aspx

Screenshots on the website. There's no "Out View" of the uboat. Maybe I'll add that kind of option in the future.
Old 01-19-08, 04:29 PM   #4
Deamon
Commodore

Quote:
Yes I'm new here. I've looked out for a place to publish my project and get fair comments, because I put a lot of work on making it realistic as posible.
Hear hear. You are working on it since just a month right ?

Quote:
The common gamer can't tell the difference between the newest nuclear submarine and the oldest diesel.
The implementations are mostly grossly simplified indeed. So much gets lost through it. So much cool stuff is left out. But I will take care of this.

Quote:
I am a student for accounting (nothing to do with computers). Thats why the project is only a hobby. Though, if the right oppurtunity will apear, I will be glad to join it.
what do you mean with join it ?

Quote:
And by the way, if someone needs help in making a simulator (of any kind. In the programming side, not the graphics side) i can help.
I hope you are aware of what a serious commitment this is and how much it will affect your life.

Quote:
The FrameWork coming with every Windows XP and above. (The reason it requires this framework its because it is programed in VB.NET).
Here's a link http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/net.../aa569263.aspx
Oh, if it comes with XP then never mind. Does it also run on WinME and stuff ?

BTW Are you from the US ?

Quote:
There's no "Out View" of the uboat.
But there is a boat isn't it ? And you can surely stand on the bridge and see it ? ( Sorry I haven't tested your game yet. )

Quote:
Maybe I'll add that kind of option in the future.
That is a must have imo. Not that I like it, infact I play always without but other will be not so forgiving about it.
Old 01-19-08, 05:07 PM   #5
Chad
ACE

Downloads: 60

Your website download doesn't load

Also, did you email me about my project?
Old 01-19-08, 05:23 PM   #6
Deamon
Commodore

Loads here nicely.
Old 01-19-08, 06:22 PM   #7
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Welcome to SUBSIM Wolfnon

Nice project by the way.

RDP

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-08, 01:07 PM   #8
Wolfnon
Swabbie

Quote:
Does it also run on WinME and stuff ?
Yes, if the windows is less than XP, you'll need to install framework unless it's already installed.

Quote:
I will take that as a compliment for my english, but no. I'm from Israel. If you are curious about that, i can tell you I don't have a problem to adore anything in WW2 which doesn't related to the Concentration Camps (for example- uboat warfare).
My great grandfather was a doctor and the commander of a military hospital of the german army during WW1. Though, it's quite a shame that 20 years later the germans have completely forgotten the loyalty of the german-jews all along the modern history of Germany.

BTW, my grandfather served in the "RAF Pilots Rescue Boats" in the Mediterranean during WW2. After Israel was established, he joined the israeli navy and was captain of destroyer (1948-1964). Then he became a captain in the merchant-fleet.

And me? First as tank-gunner, and later as combat medic in the infantry corps, IDF (2002-2005).

Last edited by Wolfnon; 01-21-08 at 02:09 PM.
Old 04-08-08, 03:07 AM   #9
Deamon
Commodore

Quote:
Quote:
I will take that as a compliment for my english, but no. I'm from Israel. If you are curious about that, i can tell you I don't have a problem to adore anything in WW2 which doesn't related to the Concentration Camps (for example- uboat warfare).
Great

Quote:
My great grandfather was a doctor and the commander of a military hospital of the german army during WW1. Though, it's quite a shame that 20 years later the germans have completely forgotten the loyalty of the german-jews all along the modern history of Germany.
Very interesting. Although I do not know what the germans had forgotton and what not. Maybe they were never aware of it since how much were the jews an issue for the average germans ?

I guess everyone was happy to just stay alive and survive the chaos into which germany collapsed after WWI.

And I think therer were not few germans who risked their own lifes by hiding jews at their homes from the Nazis. But I guess this is not so spectacular than the holocaust itself and don't get so much attention.

Quote:
BTW, my grandfather served in the "RAF Pilots Rescue Boats" in the Mediterranean during WW2. After Israel was established, he joined the israeli navy and was captain of destroyer (1948-1964). Then he became a captain in the merchant-fleet.

And me? First as tank-gunner, and later as combat medic in the infantry corps, IDF (2002-2005).
There was at least one in my bloodline who served in the SS

INVALUNTARY, however. So after the war got emprisoned and sent into sebirian hell. I think he was there for 5 or 7 years or so. But it's interesting to met the offsprings of this generation and hear their stories

Ok but now some late feedback about your subsim project.

Well I tried it a couple of times now and wanted to share my thoughts with you:

The positives first:
Well, I liked how you have embeded the historical images into the menu screens and stuff and the funky music.

Using car sounds for the subs engines was also kinda funny.

Now the negatives:
Well given what you have said above, that you have made it in only one month, I can't really criticise it.

The only real thing I can criticise is that you release the sim only after one month of development :p

My suggestion, and this is by no means a rule but only my suggestion, spend at least 6 months on the project and then showcase it, cause at the current state the intro and menus are more interesting than the game itself and this is not the state in which you want to release a demo. However I cannot ignore the, at least to me obvious potential, that you have in you. Cause the way you made the menue background and the intro screen with the briliant images shows that you seem to love this subject and have some ambitions and at least believe that you could pull something out and that is always a good sign.

However, I just feel you rushed it out to fast. It's to early for fair comments. I think the result of a to fast release will be that simple no one will comment it at all because no one want to discourage you with negative feedback or will simple lack any interest given the lack of content. You need to consider that you are making a WWII u-boat sim. That means it need to bear comparisons with games like SHIII & IV and soon a V. This games have set the bar much higher again.

So when you make your first release make sure there is something that keeps you engaged for at least 30 minutes. Put in something that makes us smile. There should be at least one thing that is fun to do.

Currently the game lacks just any content and ontop of that is buggy and unpolished as hell. I hope I do not sound to harsh for you, cause I do not want to discourage you. Rather I want to encourgage you to put the sleeves up and go back to the drawing board for at least 6 months and then unleash it upon as again.

Keep in mind there should be at least one thing that is engaging for at least a short time. Being it some challenging engaging maneuvers in a confined port or a target that you can desintegrate in to its atomic parts with the deck gun or even if it's just the possebility to walk throughout the whole boat in 3D or at least some good models in the scene to look at. But what ever it is make sure it is somehow unique or it will be "just another sim" case. Although there were so many times u-boat sims there is still so much untouched potential due to the stagnation in this genre. So this is your chance.

And I see there is something remarkable about this game or rather awekward. It is not 3D!!!

Have you choose it in order to make it fast and want to switch to 3D soon or are you intending to continue like this ?

If so than let me say, if you want to make something remotely realistical then go for 3D, hush hush!

While the sprites certainly bring back some fond memories from my childhood it is hopelessly outdated for a realistic sim by todays standarts. Making a sim based on 2D grafics is like making a cartoon. Noone will take it serious. For a sim this is a dead end.

I could share a lot of experiences and insights I gained during my own voyage. If you are interested.
Old 04-08-08, 12:40 PM   #10
Wolfnon
Swabbie

hi!

First of all- thank you for replying, though in a little delay. I thought you would never try it.

Quote:
Well, I liked how you have embeded the historical images into the menu screens and stuff and the funky music.
Thanks. The music is from "Das boot"

Quote:
Using car sounds for the subs engines was also kinda funny.
I have never heard a sub engine before, so I can't tell the difrense... But I'll take your word.

Quote:
That means it need to bear comparisons with games like SHIII & IV and soon a V.
:hmm: That wasn't exactly my goal. I was trying to make something BIG with my programming skills. And a uboat sim is a big project. That month I worked very hard and a lot of hours to get to the point where it is now.

Quote:
So when you make your first release make sure there is something that keeps you engaged for at least 30 minutes. Put in something that makes us smile. There should be at least one thing that is fun to do.
The Spitfire is fun! You can also fire the deck gun and the torpedo...

Quote:
And I see there is something remarkable about this game or rather awekward. It is not 3D!!!
Well... I can't say that you are wrong. I call it "Old-school 3D". The models are in 2D, but the general view is in 3D. Meaning, that the positions of the sprites in the landscape is 3D. Giving us "Eye-view" sight.
I'm sorry, but I don't know how to handle 3D models in my program...
The graphic engine of the "2D sprites, 3D Eye-view" was made by myself, using 4 code lines of trigonometric functions. That is something I'm proud of.
Though I must agree it is not the most uptodate graphic option for simulator.

I think some of the newest sims like Danger from the Deep are too much 3D, because it doesn't even work on my computer...

Maybe I should've said that before, when I said realistic, I meant the speed, the fire range and so on...
Old 04-08-08, 02:58 PM   #11
Wolfnon
Swabbie

By the way, the destroyer has 72 diferent images. An image is changed every 5 degree.
Old 04-08-08, 03:47 PM   #12
Deamon
Commodore

Quote:
hi!

First of all- thank you for replying, though in a little delay. I thought you would never try it.
Sorry, I always have more to do than I can and usually someone have to wait then. I am an very busy indi.

Quote:
I have never heard a sub engine before, so I can't tell the difrense... But I'll take your word.
There are some samples from the Type VII somewhere on the net. Don't remember the link now though.

Quote:
Quote:
That means it need to bear comparisons with games like SHIII & IV and soon a V.
:hmm: That wasn't exactly my goal.
Yes I know but people know SHIII and alike and it's simple the reference and naturally they will compare it with them.

Quote:
I was trying to make something BIG with my programming skills. And a uboat sim is a big project. That month I worked very hard and a lot of hours to get to the point where it is now.
You still working on it ?

Quote:
The Spitfire is fun! You can also fire the deck gun and the torpedo...
Ah yeah that Spitfire. Also consider the phenomenon that a developer will always find his work good already only because he did it with his own hands in many hours of work. As a rule of thumb consider that others will find your game probably not nearly as funny as you would.

Quote:
Well... I can't say that you are wrong. I call it "Old-school 3D". The models are in 2D, but the general view is in 3D. Meaning, that the positions of the sprites in the landscape is 3D. Giving us "Eye-view" sight.
Yeah, noticed.

Quote:
I'm sorry, but I don't know how to handle 3D models in my program...
You don't even need to know it. Have you C++ skills ?

Quote:
The graphic engine of the "2D sprites, 3D Eye-view" was made by myself, using 4 code lines of trigonometric functions. That is something I'm proud of.
Though I must agree it is not the most uptodate graphic option for simulator.
Ahh, yes. The first steps in game making are so innocent

Reminds me on my self as I tried to make a simple sub command clone in ascii

Quote:
I think some of the newest sims like Danger from the Deep are too much 3D, because it doesn't even work on my computer...
I don't think it is too much 3D but there is rather a problem somewhere. Perhaps you simple need brand new drivers that supports the latest OpenGL version which DFTD uses.

Quote:
Maybe I should've said that before, when I said realistic, I meant the speed, the fire range and so on...
Ok I see. Maybe we have somewhat different expectations from the word realistic.
Old 04-08-08, 04:29 PM   #13
Deamon
Commodore

Quote:
By the way, the destroyer has 72 diferent images. An image is changed every 5 degree.
I am sure that 18 years ago it would have been a winner

But don't let you spoil your joy of your first game development steps from me.

I was also very proud on my ascii combat system for my never finished ascii/text adventure. Damn, that was my first achievemnts after barely learning C. What a highlight it is when you finally have managed to make your first crappy game!
Old 04-08-08, 11:02 PM   #14
Wolfnon
Swabbie

Quote:
You still working on it ?
No. You are the first to give me a fair feedback. I don't think there's a point to continue working on it...

Quote:
You don't even need to know it. Have you C++ skills ?
No. I use VB.NET