SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-31-08, 01:26 PM   #76
cowboys98
Mate

Downloads: 108
Uploads: 0

What Exactly Did You Do To Turn It Off,well It Shows Auto On So I Cannot Turn It Off?
cowboys98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-08, 01:56 PM   #77
Meridian
Frogman

Downloads: 625

If it's only showing auto and the box in the top left doesn't have a check mark in it, then it's already turned off.

AORUS Z390 Ultra, Intel Core i5 8600K, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4096mb, 64.0GB Dual-Channel DDR4, Soundblaster Z.
Meridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-08, 10:27 PM   #78
LukeFF
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 5

One thing I've noticed about Anti-aliasing with the 8800-series cards is that the effect goes away in bad weather (e.g. rain/fog) in all other weather states it works fine. Anyone else experience this?

ROW Sound Effects Contributor
RFB Team Leader
LukeFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-08, 07:02 AM   #79
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Transformation! Repost from an unresponsive thread.

The monster went into surgery tonight for the first stage of the conversion. Out came the mondo slow Athlon 64 3700+. Someone mentioned that a machine may be either processor-bound or graphics card-bound. How do you know? Well, by pure dumb luck I'm in a position to find out.

Configuration before: Motherboard, Asus A8N32-SLI DeLuxe. Processor, Athlon 64 3700+. Memory 2 gig go fast OCZ. Graphics, EVGA 7600GT. No overclocking on anything. This is no state of the art machine. It runs SH4 fine, wide freakin' open. 1152 x 864 millions of colors (that's Mac talk in case you want to pause to be impressed. I thought not) . External camera, looking at the sub, 19 fps. Not too shabby and very playable. Wouldn't want to see half that though, it would be nasty!

I switched for that beautiful Opteron 175, no other changes. Outside view looking at the sub is now a solid 30/31 fps! So, was this computer graphics or processor bound? I'd say we have a solid case of choking on the processor there! What's that mean for any SLI tests I might have been able to make? I most likely would have said SLI didn't gain me much because my processor couldn't handle one graphics card, much less two!

Results: Athlon 64 3700+ to Opteron 175 = 58% improvement in frame rate with the same 7600GT graphics card.

Ouch. There goes a lot of seemingly rock hard conclusions about relative performance under SLI. Looks like a good processor might be necessary to see big improvements.

I'm going away now to tear my computer apart again and install the 7900GS. Nothing can beat what I just did..........can it?
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-08, 07:06 AM   #80
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Help, Mr Wizard! Help!

It's disaster time. Let's take a look at original configuration

EVGA 6500GT and Athlon 64 3700+ 19 FPS. Nice and playable but we always want better so...

Opteron 175 plus 7600GT 29-32 fps. Much better!!! 58% improvement with the new processor. Can't wait to see the 7900 GS strut her stuff!!!!!!!!! (is that insipid enough?)

Yup, you guessed it, one frame per second increase and funky stripes everywhere. This is a disaster! Any ideas? Rubini? Help?............ check out this sky:

Oh, and the water. How do you explain that? Interior views look OK. Everything else looks good: text, photos, movies, etc. I can't explain it. Any ideas?
Old 02-01-08, 07:51 AM   #81
Meridian
Frogman

I posted the cure for this in post 74 of this thread.

AORUS Z390 Ultra, Intel Core i5 8600K, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4096mb, 64.0GB Dual-Channel DDR4, Soundblaster Z.
Old 02-01-08, 08:49 AM   #82
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Default No joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meridian
I tried it both ways. No change. I still have the funky stripe camouflage and the water still has the synchronized parallel waves.

Test results: I can fix the funkiness, although it grows on you after awhile

Here's the orginal Rubini settings with no changes except for inserting the 7900GS card. This has 200000000: EA Strategy Games Anti-aliasing compatibility on.

Well, that's a no-go. But we already knew that. Let's turn that EA compatibility off by unchecking the box:

Looks like the stripes might be a bit more contrasty, but no joy in Mudville here. It's time to explore nHancer and find out what I can make worse. I'll spare all of you the gory details. Then!

Normally nHancer just bulldozes (technical term) the game setting with its own. Infrequently this causes weirdness (another technical term). Checking this box uses your settings within the parameters set by the game! Looks promising, so:

Yessssssssss! I have my sub back. Let's pop on that EA compatibility setting we thought was the problem to begin with:

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeyes!!!!!! We're back to all of Rubini's gains using the EA compatibility and no tiger boat. Now my only problem is that I have no frame rate gain from my 7600GT and if I had two of them I'd SLI them and have better fps than the 7900GS. Why? Inquiries are in to EVGA.

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 02-01-08 at 02:17 PM.
Old 02-01-08, 09:21 AM   #83
Fishie
Loader

Downloads: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meridian
I tried it both ways. No change. I still have the funky stripe camouflage and the water still has the synchronized parallel waves.

Hmmm. I'm sure I'm probably repeating the obvious, but I have had a similar case, so here goes-

Check AS and AA filtering- make sure they are not set any higher then 2x. Anything above that results in strangeness (like a rainbow colored nav map W00T! )

Another thing is it could be tearing, so check your v-sync and make sure it's selected both in SH and in your Nvidia control panel (force on).

I'm assuming you have the new 169 drivers from the website, right?

What you could also be facing is a probable heat issue. I know my old 7800 did that kind of thing quite a bit when my cooling wasn't up to par.

All things to keep in mind.

Fishie, Commander SS-215
Fear the Growler!
Fishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-08, 10:08 AM   #84
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Default :)

Nope, 4x multi-sampling works fine. FPS also went from 30 to 45 to 52 with Photoshop running in the background! All screenshots were at that setting. One failed test from someone else's video follies:

OK, I added the Yellow Submarine. All together now! We all live in a yellow sumarine.....
Old 02-01-08, 10:58 AM   #85
capt_frank
Watch Officer

Downloads: 0

Ah yes, Peter Max at his best!

Pretty kewl graphics when video cards start their slow spiral of death...:p
capt_frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-08, 07:13 PM   #86
Faamecanic
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 44

Quote:
Funny, I thought everything looked great. I'll try the nhancer and check back.

Why in all our screenie postings do the nVidia cards consistently have better renderings than ATI cards. Time after time ATI owners say that even though they don't see the solar halo they like their images. I have never encountered an nVidia owner saying they have a problem with sun halo, and seldom with any of the other problems mentioned. Color me skeptic, but I'm checking anyway.
Back in the day when I "upgraded" my ATI 7800 PRO to a NVIDIA 6800, I noticed waves in the distance shimmered and were jaggy. I bet this is why... (the compatability mode).

Then when I bought my new rig with twin 8800GTs I still have the crappy wave shimmer/jaggies in the distance, as well as now with SH4 I have a HALO around my sub.
Faamecanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-08, 03:47 AM   #87
Meridian
Frogman

Yeah, I have that luminus white halo at night and just can't get rid of it. Bloody annoying and looks terrible, almost looks as if the subs been lit up with a flare.

Tried the fix that was posted elsewhere in the forums but it didn't work.

Old 02-14-08, 07:06 AM   #88
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faamecanic
Quote:

Why in all our screenie postings do the nVidia cards consistently have better renderings than ATI cards. Time after time ATI owners say that even though they don't see the solar halo they like their images. I have never encountered an nVidia owner saying they have a problem with sun halo, and seldom with any of the other problems mentioned. Color me skeptic, but I'm checking anyway.
Back in the day when I "upgraded" my ATI 7800 PRO to a NVIDIA 6800, I noticed waves in the distance shimmered and were jaggy. I bet this is why... (the compatability mode).

Then when I bought my new rig with twin 8800GTs I still have the crappy wave shimmer/jaggies in the distance, as well as now with SH4 I have a HALO around my sub.
Yes, this is what I have tried to say with this thread: the guys that already had an ATI card note the difference in image quality at the first moment that they start the game with a Nvidia card: jaggies and impossible to have the same quality than we had with ATI (even because if you try to use the same very good type of AA you will end in poor FPS or little bugs).
Old 02-18-08, 01:14 PM   #89
Faamecanic
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faamecanic
Quote:

Yes, this is what I have tried to say with this thread: the guys that already had an ATI card note the difference in image quality at the first moment that they start the game with a Nvidia card: jaggies and impossible to have the same quality than we had with ATI (even because if you try to use the same very good type of AA you will end in poor FPS or little bugs).
Actually it was a 9800Pro that I had...and Still have in an old system. Just for grins I loaded SH3 on it and even though that card is 3 yrs old, it STILL makes SH3 look 1,000% better that my 2 8800GTS'es in SLI....

Wish I would have thought of that before I built this system...but at the time I wasnt playing SH3 anymore

Needless to say my next PC will have ATI card(s).

So basically there is no cure for the distant "shimmering/jaggy water"? I tried the recommended optimizations here and it still looked poor. I even tried Supersampling (and did not notice a huge fps hit).... looked the same to me. Or is SSAA 4X4 and Supersampling with 4XAA different? EDIT: Ooops...reread your post rubini and forgot to set the EA strategy game mode ....need to try that next.
Faamecanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-08, 01:26 PM   #90
Doolittle81
Commodore

Downloads: 6

Just a thought: have you tried using just one card and NOT trying to run SH4 in SLI?? I have a single Nvidea 8800GTX 768Mb and have never had a problem with Jaggies or the other problems mentioned.
Doolittle81 is offline   Reply With Quote