SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-21-22, 04:43 PM   #1
Pagan_PL
Watch

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 0
Default Need help with TMO difficulty!

Hello guys!

This time I have another trouble. After learning how to hunt Dots on the map () Now I am confussed. This difficulty is unplayable for me - I mean the sub hunters and destroyers around the ports. There is no way I can runaway from them. No matter how and what ( the actual depth or silent runing) they ALWAYS seems to detect me. It is not fun. Even when storm is raging. Damn It is near impossible for me to sink the destroyer who is coming from left to right. My best solution - In the vanilla there was no need for that , but only solution is to avoid them by sticking near to the land and just stay out of their range - but as I said I hate that. They ALWAYS finds me.

Any advices , guys? It is great mod , but I am in despair and think about just dumping down the AI. Please advice!

Thank You.
Pagan_PL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-22, 05:23 PM   #2
Pagan_PL
Watch

Ok Guys! I Just stopped the boat at long range and decided to observe. So that destroyer just HAD the course plotted near the port. My patience is rewarded by now. One hit from 4900 meters! ))

Still, If You have any hints for me it will be greatly appreciated!
Old 11-22-22, 09:31 AM   #3
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Don't raid harbors??... lol

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-22, 11:05 AM   #4
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagan_PL View Post
Ok Guys! I Just stopped the boat at long range and decided to observe. So that destroyer just HAD the course plotted near the port. My patience is rewarded by now. One hit from 4900 meters! ))

Still, If You have any hints for me it will be greatly appreciated!
i have to agree with PB on this one.
it is a bad habit to get into because the really good mod-sets have mines and subnets in addition to nasty patrol craft protecting harbors.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-22, 08:44 PM   #5
Pagan_PL
Watch

Thank You guys! For Your replies. In fact, I am familliar to vanilla vesion only (I am playing ocasionally from 2007) Bought it on release date - Still getting experience on this one in TMO. previously mastered the manual targeting like 20 ships sunk on single patrol. Now it is a challenge!

I like that! SO! Can U tell me the other mods that is working with TMO? Any will be appreciatted!

Thank You!
Old 11-25-22, 10:31 PM   #6
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Thank You guys! For Your replies. In fact, I am familliar to vanilla vesion only (I am playing ocasionally from 2007) Bought it on release date - Still getting experience on this one in TMO. previously mastered the manual targeting like 20 ships sunk on single patrol. Now it is a challenge!

I like that! SO! Can U tell me the other mods that is working with TMO? Any will be appreciatted!

Thank You!
if you are playing CapnScurvy's TMO, then, I believe you can tack on either Run Silent, Run Deep (RSRD) or Real Fleet Boat (RFB).

if you are playing TMO ala Bubblehead, i do not believe you should add any mod not specifically documented in BH's Support folder.

glad to hear that you are making progress.
Good Luck!

LAA enabled

Last edited by KaleunMarco; 12-06-22 at 03:33 PM.
Old 11-25-22, 11:12 PM   #7
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Don't raid harbors??... lol
This lmao.

I did a lot of work to make harbor raiding in most cases a likely death trap between mines, nets, and patrol craft. Harbor raiding in most cases irritates me lol.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-22, 09:58 PM   #8
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

I can remember when I first started playing TMO how hard I thought it was. It's sort of a balance because the game has a lot of hardcoded stupidity that makes many aspects too easy, so TMO sort of made some aspects hard. However, once you understand how the AI works connected to numerous factors and to attack when factors are in your favor you can pretty much easily beat the AI as long as you don't make dumb mistakes. Course like most games you'll learn tricks or tactics to make it easier to beat the AI. Once you get use to it and still sinking 100k tons of shipping per patrol, you'll add more realism such as no contacts and cams and go for the full difficult experience.

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-22, 01:39 PM   #9
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

If you are after a TMO-style of play, but slightly de-tuned AI, you could always try Trigger Maru Overhauled with Training wheels (TMOwTw) by Dave Grayson (Florida Sailor). It is a Bonus Mod, so you do have to be a paying member of SubSim, but along with several of the other Bonus Mods, is over and above worth the money spent to help support SubSim.

This is not to say that TMOwTw is "easy", not by any stretch of the imagination. In fact, it is still more difficult than most other mods, but it is generally not as difficult as regular TMO, though you can still be sunk all too easily if you do not tread lightly through the waters...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-22, 10:30 PM   #10
Pagan_PL
Watch

Guys! First Thank You for sharing thoughts!

But I have another questions. First:
I think the upgraded deck gun 5.51 is bugged in TMO - my dumb crew are better then I to shoot the target. despite the calculation of mine ((

Second - sometimes the destroyers spawn in riddiculously fast time after I destroyed them - 2 hours in game? really? (harbors guardians)

And finally - the medal fix implemented with the TMO - my crew ALWAYS obtain the two kind of medals - thee asiatic pacific campaign medal and that second one (can't remember which) ALWAYS! no matter If my tonage is 20,000 or 100,000 tons!!!

Guys please help me with this, because I am starting to think like the other guy who call this game "Bugs Of The Pacific"

I am playing this game from 2007 - the release date - and I love it so much, but I hate Ubisoft for making so buggy game. TMO eliminates much of the BUGS but not all of it...

Please help me!

Thank You!
Old 12-24-22, 11:41 PM   #11
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Guys! First Thank You for sharing thoughts!

But I have another questions. First:
I think the upgraded deck gun 5.51 is bugged in TMO - my dumb crew are better then I to shoot the target. despite the calculation of mine ((
manually firing your deck gun will always be more accurate than your crew on auto-fire. always. the only time your crew will consistently hit a target more than miss is when you are within 2000 yds and you do not want to be on the surface and only 2000 yds from an enemy.

Quote:
Second - sometimes the destroyers spawn in riddiculously fast time after I destroyed them - 2 hours in game? really? (harbors guardians)
stay out of harbors. i thought we covered that topic previously.

Quote:
And finally - the medal fix implemented with the TMO - my crew ALWAYS obtain the two kind of medals - thee asiatic pacific campaign medal and that second one (can't remember which) ALWAYS! no matter If my tonage is 20,000 or 100,000 tons!!!
yep, we all live with that feature.
occasionally, a silver star or navy cross will appear. i've seen it after a tough mission where the boat takes bad damage and lots of crew are seriously injured AND you are fairly successful sinking enemy ships, but it it rare. that's a lot of ifs, too.
in fact, in real life, the crew, other than the CO and the XO, rarely received decorations, not that Ubi worried about that.
in the game, medals are meaningless for future play. decorated crew perform no different afterwards than before.
so, bottom line, hand out the awards that appear and go sink some ships.

LAA enabled
Old 12-25-22, 02:12 AM   #12
1Patriotofmany
Commander

Downloads: 95

I've been playing Sh4 since it came out and I find TMO too difficult for me. I resorted to TMOwTW, I find it easier. No slight on Bubblehead but TMO is just too difficult for me, maybe he would tinker a little and make an option for TMO in the settings for much easier play for sub standard skippers like myself But fact is, I've been playing Dark Waters the most for some time now.
1Patriotofmany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-22, 05:12 PM   #13
Pagan_PL
Watch

Thank You for making all that clear for me.

But cause my english is terrible I need to write again for my 5.51 deck gun problem.

So what I had in mind was:

-Previously with standard deck gun, 3.50 or 4.50 everything was fine. I could easily hit the target from over 4.000 meters.

-Now with 5.51 this damn gun is going crazy. I have bearing and distance calculated , BUT: Manualy set the gun to 2500 meters and.... Every shoot fired by mine is like 50 meters forward to the water or like 8.000 away forward.

Hope You understand me now better

It just looks like this gun is firing randomly when I am aiming.
I do not understand that.
Oh - of course I was thinking it is just because high water shaking, but all this happen even when weather is completly calm.
Old 12-25-22, 08:14 PM   #14
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Thank You for making all that clear for me.

But cause my english is terrible I need to write again for my 5.51 deck gun problem.

So what I had in mind was:

-Previously with standard deck gun, 3.50 or 4.50 everything was fine. I could easily hit the target from over 4.000 meters.

-Now with 5.51 this damn gun is going crazy. I have bearing and distance calculated , BUT: Manualy set the gun to 2500 meters and.... Every shoot fired by mine is like 50 meters forward to the water or like 8.000 away forward.

Hope You understand me now better

It just looks like this gun is firing randomly when I am aiming.
I do not understand that.
Oh - of course I was thinking it is just because high water shaking, but all this happen even when weather is completly calm.
that is new behavior for me. never seen that before.
must be NGS (nervous gunner syndrome).

LAA enabled
Old 12-25-22, 09:06 PM   #15
Pagan_PL
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
that is new behavior for me. never seen that before.
must be NGS (nervous gunner syndrome).
Ok my bad! Shame on me. It was really the bad weather! That was the cause.

But despite of that - I was able to sink two fat Maru class ships when the swing of the boat continues. haha! Skills...