SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Indie Subsims
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-27-12, 11:00 PM   #1
magicstix
Captain

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default New indie project (with screencaps)

Hi all, just thought I'd throw up some screencaps of my 3D engine in the works (nicknamed Fabulous Max).

It's not quite to game level yet (it only renders), but the first game I do with it will probably be a military sim of some sorts, something along the lines of a combination of Dangerous Waters and a flight sim.

CG-47 at dawn in the Persian Gulf. The blue isn't really water, but the bottom of the ocean. I'm using some 30 arc-second resolution bathymetry and land elevation data.

A kilo in the Straits of Hormuz, north northeast of Khasab looking south.

Here's a sunset over some mountains in Iran. The sky model is accurate to any time and location on the planet. In this shot we can see advanced effects such as the Earth's shadow as the sun sets.

Here's a shot from 155,000 feet showing the curvature of the Earth as the sun rises.

The next thing I do with it will most likely be to add a water model (the lack of water is why the ships seem to float in air . After that it goes to making it playable and adding all the game logic...

As you may have guessed, the game's setting will be a conflict in the Persian Gulf. I plan to add as many pieces of military hardware as I can for a full-up theatre sim. Players will be able to take any open position they're qualified for in the game, from a sonar operator, to ship captain, to fighter pilot, etc... The game will rate players based on how they perform in their position, allowing them to qualify for higher positions. In other words you won't be able to start out as a ship captain, you'd have to qualify for it by doing a good job as a sonar operator, etc...

The game world will be persistent, with AI taking up unused player slots. There will be campaigns lasting days or weeks, where each side will try to achieve their goal. When one side achieves its goal or is unable to continue fighting due to combat losses, the campaign will end, the winning side will get bonus points for qualifications, and a new campaign will begin.

Aaaanyway, this is all really ambitious so who knows how far I'll get with it. I figure the hardest part will be non-programming stuff like 3d models and artwork for the terrain...
magicstix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-12, 03:09 AM   #2
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

Looks like a great start, good luck with it.
Old 10-28-12, 07:57 AM   #3
Julhelm
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 189

You should get in contact with WhiteBoySamurai over at the Combatace.com boards. He has made a ton of modern/coldwar naval assets which are pretty decent.
Julhelm is offline   Reply With Quote