Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Indie Subsims
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-29-08, 11:58 AM   #1
Chad
ACE

Downloads: 60
Uploads: 0
Default Hiring a programmer for IC

Right now, I've got several contacts at the BlitzBasic site that I'm talking and discussing about my plans for Iron Coffins. I'm getting to the point where the programming is over my head, and need to reach out for help if I ever plan on getting this thing done.. Included is some new renders of models I've been working on, and unannounced (till now) plans that I plan on implementing

Tell me what you think!

Quote:
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=75833

There's a link showing some screenshots of the project 10 months ago. It's a World War 2 submarine simulation, so you can see why I was watching your progress on your underwater scene.

Somethings I will need help with is re-doing some of the water. Currently, I love the way the water looks, except whenever something is below the water line, it doesn't distorn correctly. I want the water plane to be somewhat transparent but not like it is now.

There will also be some camera controls. One of the things I'm striving on is a no HUD game, everything will be available though that is normally found in the hud. So instead of having a clock on the HUD, press "t" to bring up a watch that the player is holding. Also zooming in on the mousewheel to zoom in binoculars mode.

I own a license to particle candy, and have not found an effective way to implement this without destroying my frames per second when having 20-30 ships on the screen at once. I might just have to overhaul the entire smoke particle.

I'd like to be taught, (I learn by example so you'd have to do one, then I could always use it as a reference) how to create way points for the ships. Right now I'm just using translateentity ship1,0,0,90 and it just travels a straight line to the end of the map. I'd like to be able to make some ships travel different patterns, such as zig zag, or go from port to port, etc.

Lighting is a big one, I don't really need real-time stencil shadowing, but, on the boat I'd like 2 lightmapped scenes, the normal white light, and the rigged for red light. Then, in the code archives I found a Day to Night transition code. I'd like to be able to implement that. I don't know where to begin with that so I'd wait for directions from you if I need to buy a pack of skyboxes or whatever.

Everything I have so far in the project, you will recieve. I will not hold back anything, so then we're on the same page. I'd like a weekly build (hopefully it doesn't take much longer than a month). There are some more ideas I will need finished, but this is just to let you know kind of what you will be doing.

Thanks for your time!
Chad

As mentioned, here's some extra model renders I've made as of recently. Untextured at the moment but coming along nicely.

First render is of an untextured LOW-RES VII-C U-boat. This will be used as a static boat, that you see in port or in the open sea. Not a lot to it, and that's why I like it.

Next is the hand/watch thing I was talking about. The hands on the watch I'll have to program, but shouldn't be a biggy.

Last but not least, a mean Destroyer.
Old 12-29-08, 09:27 PM   #2
Deamon
Commodore

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad
Somethings I will need help with is re-doing some of the water. Currently, I love the way the water looks, except whenever something is below the water line, it doesn't distorn correctly. I want the water plane to be somewhat transparent but not like it is now.
Perhaps you should post some screenshots that show the problem.

Quote:
I own a license to particle candy, and have not found an effective way to implement this without destroying my frames per second when having 20-30 ships on the screen at once. I might just have to overhaul the entire smoke particle.
What haven't you been able to implement effective ? I find your describtions somewhat diffuse.

Quote:
how to create way points for the ships.
Simple define a destination coordinate.

Quote:
Right now I'm just using translateentity ship1,0,0,90 and it just travels a straight line to the end of the map. I'd like to be able to make some ships travel different patterns, such as zig zag, or go from port to port, etc.
Well the first thing you should learn is how to make a ship follow waypoints.

The basic thing you need for this is of course is a destination coordinate and a function that turns the ship towards it.

Obviously for this you need the current orientation of the ship in question and the relative bearing to the waypoint.

If the bearing is a negatigve value turn the ship to port till the bearing is 0, if the bearing is a positive value then turn it to starboard till the bearing is 0.

You will also need the distance between the ship and the waypoint. When the distance become smaller than a certain treshold you switch to the next waypoint as a destination or do whatever you need the ship to do at this waypoint. So the way point object need to contain orders of what the ship is supposed to do next.

This is of course a simplified describttion but when you got this the rest will come natuirally. How such operations like taking bearings or read out the orientation of an object in blitz3d, I don't know. It's long back that I worked with it.

For this stuff you need vector math but as far as I can see blitz don't seem to provide this sort of functionality. So I guess you are on your own then

Perhaps there are some vector math libraries for blitz out there, but what do I know ?

Quote:
Lighting is a big one, I don't really need real-time stencil shadowing, but, on the boat I'd like 2 lightmapped scenes, the normal white light, and the rigged for red light.
If you don't use real lights in your boat then you could simple put a red transparent texture over your normal texture and switch it on whenever your rig the boat for red.
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote