SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-12-22, 11:11 PM   #1
PregnantGuppy
Swabbie

Downloads: 7
Uploads: 0
Default SH4 and Mac with M1 Max chip

My old standby powermac of ages ago that I used to use bootcamp to run windows and SH4 is now a hard kill. I want to know if there is a way I can run SH4 on my Mac Powerbook with the M1 Max chip. I've heard about something involving "Crossover" and "Wineskins", but I know nothing of them. I was also wondering if I could use Parallels and Windows 11, or any other flavor of Windows I can install with Parallels. Absolutely loved the game, no matter how terrible a skipper I was. If possible would love to install a Mod I used to use occasionally for fun, that gave me ADCAP torpedoes. Any help or guidance appreciated.
PregnantGuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-22, 03:03 PM   #2
Mike
Swabbie

Downloads: 8

I have Silent Hunter 4 v. 1.5 (no mods) running apparently successfully on an M1 Mac mini with 16GB or RAM running Ventura 13.0.1, using Crossover 20.0.1. I've run it using both a native install from CD and from the Steam client (again using Crossover). It takes a bit of time to load because Crossover makes use of Rosetta2 to "translate" intel machine language to M1. Once things are started, it seems to run fine without much lagging.

That's not an M1 Max machine, but it's pretty close.

I have not logged a lot of hours on this platform because I have Silent Hunter 4 running on my new Steam Deck. That is working well - either as a hand held or connected to a monitor.
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-22, 09:21 PM   #3
PregnantGuppy
Swabbie

Downloads: 7

Thanks Mike, I thought the world was just going to let this one sink.
PregnantGuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-23, 01:23 PM   #4
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome back!

Mike! (15 years!)& PregnantGuppy! (9 years!)

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-23, 11:35 AM   #5
1Patriotofmany
Commander

Downloads: 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by PregnantGuppy View Post
Thanks Mike, I thought the world was just going to let this one sink.
Windows holds a significant market share compared to Mac systems. About 3 out of every 4 computers (77.74%) that people are using globally right now use the Microsoft platform. MacOS currently holds a 17% part of the market, while Linux and ChromeOS clean up the remaining percentages.
1Patriotofmany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-23, 03:17 PM   #6
boapiu
Seaman

Downloads: 51

I have no solution but I share your pain in that I was a die hard mac person until a few years ago when I was reintroduced to the world of flight sims - of course, on a windows computer. Prior to then I owned many macs, all the way back to the ‘classic’ on which I played Gato, a sub sim from Spectrum Holobyte released in 1984. My experience trying to enjoy computer gaming on the various macs was frustrating as the market was so small compared to windows and the best games mostly skipped the mac platform. You are not asking for advice but I bought a windows gaming computer and now can enjoy all the computer gaming I missed out on earlier.
And after several years I almost know how the windows operating system works!
boapiu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crossover, mac m1, parallels, sh4, wineskin