SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-22-19, 11:39 AM   #1
Lymark
Swabbie

Downloads: 96
Uploads: 0
Default Sonar is showing incorrect info?

I'm new to DW(with RA) and have been practicing in some training missions. There's this odd phenomenon that I often encounter and I can't tell If it's me doing something wrong.

Picture attached is a screenshoot of the broadband with a designated target S-08 at 072 using towed array. The target's engine noise is clearly audible. However, the next picture with truth enabled shows that there's nothing at 072 at all.

Would someone please enlighten me? Thanks!

Lymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-19, 01:22 PM   #2
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 136
Uploads: 6

You should read manual:

Quote:
Towed Array Contacts

Because of the way the physics of the towed array construction, an ambiguous contact, a mirror image of each true contact, appears on the display along with the true contact. If you have a contact at the same bearing on your bow array, you can be fairly certain a contact at a bearing on your towed array display is on contact’s true bearing.
If the contact is not visible on another array, changing the course of Ownship allows you to determine which bearing is the actual and which is its mirror image on the display. After you maneuver, one contact remains at a consistent bearing and one appears to move in the display. The contact’s true bearing is that of the contact that remains constant.
When numerous contacts are present or the contacts are close together, this process can be very challenging!
Old 12-23-19, 02:10 AM   #3
Lymark
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by p7p8 View Post
You should read manual:
Thanks! I tried looking it up on the manual before posting, but I wasn't aware of the origin of the problem nor did I understand the meaning of mirror target due to my lack of understanding in the towed array. Did some digging and it all makes sense now!
Old 12-23-19, 11:51 AM   #4
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Sorry bacause i hadn't time for better explanation. Of course you don't need to read full manual - just sections for platform you will play.

Also you can check FPSchazly tutorials. Its good source for learning basics:

Link

My channel is for more advanced playing - focused on MP sessions. But my videos are without comment - for archiving of played sessions (mostly). Still you can learn how to play DW with RA mod.

Link

Old 12-24-19, 12:38 PM   #5
Lymark
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by p7p8 View Post
Also you can check FPSchazly tutorials. Its good source for learning basics:

Link

My channel is for more advanced playing - focused on MP sessions. But my videos are without comment - for archiving of played sessions (mostly). Still you can learn how to play DW with RA mod.

Link

Just finished watching the list of tutorials, and I'm getting more confidence with my solutions now!

Anyway, do you happen to have some videos of Sub vs Sub or maybe some advice too? I've been playing the 'Mano a Mano' training mission and I find it rather difficult to get a solid solution on the enemy sub. The first and very weak low frequent doesn't usually appear until maybe less than 8nm(within the same layer). By the time I'm able to calculate its range and course accurately, It would have fired a torp my way and changed course. And the only way I could kill it is to launch a counter attack, in a 'carpet torpedoing' style based on my TMA and direction of its torpedoes.
Old 12-26-19, 06:51 PM   #6
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

MP battles we play with auto TMA. Manual TMA would be hard barrier for most of players.

Auto TMA in DW is NOT perfect and sometimes long tracking increases "error". Experienced players knows when solution is good. Auto TMA updating is sometimes delayed or problematic. But works for all tracked contacts - you can save much time for commanding.

In other hand - manual TMA needs longer tracking. Most important is knowledge how to rebuild your TMA work when enemy (or you) make evasion.

Here is single player mission played with manual TMA. Enemy position and range is random. Its almost sub vs sub duel: Akula I imp vs LA Flt III

Old 12-30-19, 03:15 PM   #7
Lymark
Swabbie

I've recently introduced the sim to some friends and we're having great fun with manual TMA, though missions last quite a while without time compression!

Do you guys make your own MP/Coop missions or is there somewhere else to download them? There's only a few missions in the download section here and the only place where I can more is from Subguru. But I think most missions over there are outdated, since we often run into problem like game freezes, stuck in loading screen etc. We just spent two hours trying to get the four of us into a mission, but to no avail.