SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-02-19, 07:33 PM   #1
MadMike
Watch Officer

Downloads: 232
Uploads: 0
Default Proposed conventional Subroc and Mk 45 discussed in 1968

Declassified US Navy documents provide some interesting background on the detection levels of US submarines, and a discussion on producing a conventional Subroc w/homing torpedo, and non-nuclear Mk 45 homing torpedo in 1968. However, given the focus on developing the Mk 48, these programs fell by the wayside.
So, in effect the use of non-nuclear modded Subroc and Mk 45's is entirely plausible in "Cold Waters" for some of your US subs in a 1968 campaign.

"Submarine vs Submarine Exercises" by the Defense Science Board ASW Task Force", 12 Apr 1968. Declassified from "Secret".
MadMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-19, 04:42 AM   #2
Julhelm
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 189

I once put the conventional Mk45 into the game but this caused such an uproar we removed it in the next patch. I think it is still there in the files, only commented out.
Julhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-19, 09:10 AM   #3
MadMike
Watch Officer

Downloads: 232

Julhelm,
I have that mod, lots of fun, no big deal. I only load two Mk 45's per mission, makes a patrol more challenging in 1968 using a historical loadout along with Mk 37's (especially in a Skipjack class sub).

I find the "uproar" about the Mk45 rather stupid (I recall someone writing on a forum they were "shocked" when they saw it in-game). Seriously? These folks need to get a real grasp of history, or go crawl back to their safe space. I worked on nuclear weapons for fifteen years, nothing shocks me (other than Skybird's rants, lol).

The Soviets had a large number of ship and sub based nuclear weapons, to include ASW bombs, an ASW rocket, several torpedoes, the Shkval, SSM's, and of course their version of Subroc. Putting nukes in game would make for some short scenarios, especially with such a large damage radius.

Yours, Mike
MadMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-19, 08:02 PM   #4
AllQuiet
Watch

Downloads: 20

I do my own modding to the vanilla release, and the RU boats I use in campaigns carry the Mark-45s. Granted, I tweak the speeds, sensor angles and range, but not so much that its a game breaker. I like the risk factor knowing that my torp might miss its target or find that I'm a better target than it was intended for.

I run a modded Victor 1 as well as a Charlie, and the Charlie is well suited to be upgraded to use tasm and tlam in her VLS system.
AllQuiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-20, 12:59 PM   #5
Raptor_341
Loader

Downloads: 35

What mod is this that adds the Mk 45?