SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-30-22, 03:19 PM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default Easy Red 2

Got this indy game for less than ten coins including two additional map packs in the current sale.

Its a one man team doing all this, all himself, all alone. Impressive. Huge maps, one of the better AIs for this kind of games (and certainly much better than the AI in Bohemia Interavctive AI total failure games). Destructible environment, squad management, good sniper mechanisms. Difficulty levels ranges from "just trail your squad and stay alive" to insane suicide action. The maps are huge. The old graphics must be forgiven, as already said, its just one single lonely Italian doing all this, and he is still fully engaged to support his baby. You fight as a German, American, British, Japanese or Russian soldier. Complex inventory management, you really can play in varipous styles and in various functions, with various weapons, including vehicles, fixed weapon positions, planes.

I would say this is a hidden gem of indy gaming. And it seems I am not alone with that assessment.

I had to reset the controls to better fit my preferences and to intuiotively find the right keys to lay, crouch, and run. Another mission or two was needed to leanr how to adapt to the madness unfoldsiung aorudn me - rarely only I played somehtign where I died this often and in siuch quck succession. But after some time I adapted, respected the rules in this chaotic world and lived by them - and reduce the number of my deaths dramatically.

This game is cheap currently. It does much better a lot of things where ArmA 2,3 terribly sucks, especially in SP. With the current sale, there is no loss in trying it out. Many videos at Youtube.

Old 12-30-22, 11:12 PM   #2
Oubaas
中国水兵

Downloads: 65

Thanks for the tip, Skybird! I'm going to have a look at this one.

More and more lately, I'm finding what I like coming from small independents and one-man operations.

Oubaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-22, 07:39 AM   #3
Skybird
Soaring

Happy dying! Often I landed on that Italian beach, the ramp went down, and game over.

My tip: do not directly race for the beach, but in a 60° angle run away from your squad for some seconds and almost parallel to the beach, because they are attention getters. Then turn and go to the beach. Once in cover, find your squad and then continue.

Reset your controls so that you comfortably and according to your intuition and habits reliably can use the keys for prone, crouch, and running without thinking about it. I did not change that early on, and ended up standing when I wanted to run, or runnign when I wanted to drop to the floor. With the to be expected results and an expression of surprise on my face...

Note that your squad depends to varying degrees on you, depending on the function of the soldier you have chosen to start with (usually it changes soon once the lad drops down). There is leader, sniper, radioman, medic, machine gunner, rifleman. If you are a squad member, you can mor eor less run your own show if you want. If you are the leader dont wonder that the rest of the squad tends to stick to you.
Dont forget that leaders and radiomen can call down artillery, tanks and air support on targets. Use that.
Old 01-08-23, 01:09 PM   #4
Oubaas
中国水兵

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Happy dying! Often I landed on that Italian beach, the ramp went down, and game over.

My tip: do not directly race for the beach, but in a 60° angle run away from your squad for some seconds and almost parallel to the beach, because they are attention getters. Then turn and go to the beach. Once in cover, find your squad and then continue.

Reset your controls so that you comfortably and according to your intuition and habits reliably can use the keys for prone, crouch, and running without thinking about it. I did not change that early on, and ended up standing when I wanted to run, or runnign when I wanted to drop to the floor. With the to be expected results and an expression of surprise on my face...

Note that your squad depends to varying degrees on you, depending on the function of the soldier you have chosen to start with (usually it changes soon once the lad drops down). There is leader, sniper, radioman, medic, machine gunner, rifleman. If you are a squad member, you can mor eor less run your own show if you want. If you are the leader dont wonder that the rest of the squad tends to stick to you.
Dont forget that leaders and radiomen can call down artillery, tanks and air support on targets. Use that.
Thanks for the tips, Skybird. I've got this one on my wishlist and will most likely pick it up soon. I had an older cousin who was at Anzio and was awarded a Silver Star for his actions there. I wasn't even born yet, but the family said that when he came home after the war he refused to ever speak about it.

Old 01-11-23, 01:45 PM   #5
Oubaas
中国水兵

I just picked this up on Steam with the DLC. Downloading now while listening to jazz, LOL! I'm looking forward to giving it a try.

Old 01-11-23, 03:48 PM   #6
Skybird
Soaring

Dont be a hero. Heroes all are dead soon. And if the dice are against you, you are dead, too, no matter what you are.
Old 01-13-23, 01:40 PM   #7
Oubaas
中国水兵

First time out, I made it ashore at Anzio, scored a bunch of kills as a marksman, and was finally killed by a grenade while sniping from inside a ruined building. I shouldn't have gone in. There were already two guys in there drawing attention to the position. But I thought that I might get off a couple of rounds and use the building as a shortcut over to the next street. But then the grenade...

Great game! Thanks for the recommendation, Skybird!

Old 01-13-23, 04:21 PM   #8
Skybird
Soaring

There is no rioght place on a battlefield. Inside building, outside building - the outcome of your choice defines which decision is right. And its always a new bet. especially when battleships snipe on your position.
Old 01-13-23, 06:12 PM   #9
Oubaas
中国水兵

I should have listened to my gut. I had a feeling that cutting through that wrecked building was a bad idea.

I like the game very well. I like the sniper role best. I shoot and move, shoot and move, and don't give them the chance to home in on me. That works pretty well in-game.

I should try Sniper Elite or Ghost Warrior. I like sniping in ArmA 2 and 3, too.

Next time, I'll listen to my gut when it warns me against a shortcut in Easy Red 2.

Old 02-17-23, 10:57 AM   #10
Oubaas
中国水兵

Lots of updates recently. I've been having a lot of fun with this title.

I finally won at Anzio the other day, LOL! This is a great title and highly recommended for those who like a challenging military shooter.

Thanks again for the recommendation, Skybird!

Old 02-17-23, 06:14 PM   #11
Skybird
Soaring

Old 05-27-23, 10:13 AM   #12
Skybird
Soaring

Easy Red Two gets a new DLC in a week: "Normandy".
Old 05-30-23, 07:59 AM   #13
Skybird
Soaring

Old 11-28-23, 05:17 PM   #14
Skybird
Soaring