SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-26-19, 03:38 PM   #1
prozac919
Sailor man

Downloads: 47
Uploads: 0
Default GWX keep crashing when trying to load a saved campaign

GWX keeps crashing when I try to load a saved campaign. It takes to or three attempts before it sucessfully loads. I have uninstalled and reinstalled SH3/GWX. I have deleted every SH3 folder and it still does this. I even purchased a new gaming machine last week (not for this issue) and it is still doing this after doing a clean SH3/GWX install and starting all over from scratch (ie starting new campaign). Is this a known issue and does anyone know how to fix this? This has done this on two seperate computers.
prozac919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-19, 03:58 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

If you have a 64-bit OS and 4 gig or more or RAM, do you have one of the 4Gig patches activated on the SH3.exe file? That flips some bits to show Windows that the SH3 app is able to address more memory, which makes things more stable. Also, if you've changed the mod list after Saving a game, that often will interfere with reloading.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-19, 04:05 PM   #3
prozac919
Sailor man

Downloads: 47

I do have 64 bit and a whopping 16GB of RAM and 6GB of video RAM. How do I change the settings? This is a steam install so I assume it is the latest patch.
prozac919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-19, 04:19 PM   #4
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

I thought there was a 4 gig patch included inside GWX, but I don't remember where it would be (I'm not near my SH computers). If nothing else, you could download "4Gig patch for SH3, or any one of a number of different similar utilities. The SH3.exe file has to have to "Read-only" tick box cleared on the Windows "Properties" page for the file.

Also, you mention Steam - where is your SH3 game installed? Steam defaults to the "C:\Program Files (x86)\ Steam \SteamApps \common \SH3" folder, which prevents proper mod activation due to Windows "self-protection" scheme. The SH3 game will need to be in a Steam Library folder that is not part of a Program Files or any other Windows "protected" folder. See "Moving a Steam Installation and Games for the official skinny on that.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-19, 10:07 PM   #5
masonrobison
Nub

Downloads: 4

I have the same problem. Sometimes after 3 tries it will load, sometimes not. I am trying to fix this problem right now too, because I have a great U-boat right now; I am trying to get to December 1941 for my Operation Drumbeat! Just finishing reading the book. And want to follow U-123. Oh an maybe use my deck gun on Aruba!
masonrobison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-19, 01:44 AM   #6
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

MASONROBISON!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-19, 03:05 PM   #7
masonrobison
Nub

Thanks! Just Finished the book Operation Drumbeat. Ordered U-48. I've been playing Silent Hunter III for years. Love submarine simulations. Hope to get the bug fixed on Silent Hunter III that has started.
Old 09-29-19, 03:46 PM   #8
masonrobison
Nub

got the 4 gB patch to load properly. GWX SH3 crashes the same it did in the past or it will just stalls around 75-80% loading career.

Would it be wise to just uninstall from Steam? I read the how to move a steam installation. I don't want to chance that. Sounds like to much work if I screwed it up.
Old 09-29-19, 04:16 PM   #9
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > masonrobinson
Subsim <> Make A Donation <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
SH3 – 4 - 5 Tutorials > Downloads > Other Useful Information > See Links in My Signature Below
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-19, 11:08 PM   #10
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 490
Uploads: 4

I have the same ctd problem at times loading saved games. Other times, it loads first try.
I just keep trying and eventually it loads.

Or I go to my NYGM patrol, which never crashes.