SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > Wolfpack
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-10-19, 05:37 PM   #16
stoppro
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 493
Uploads: 0

this is not helping me . do i go to the map then to the scope then to tdc? .I am ready to throw in the towel- I have sunk six ships all with the deck gun. the last ship i sank Neil was with me. the training mode doesn't explain much. rant over --I'll go try again
Old 06-10-19, 06:04 PM   #17
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

You can view the tracking data on the map with the M key anywhere in the tutorial/training mission. You do not need to view it from the map table.

There is a bug in the game with time. The clock on the map seems to count too quick, around 2 seconds per minute (other say a bit less, 1.8). A ticking in-game stopwatch seems to be the in the right pace, in sync with the OS clock and external stopwatch. The developers should already have a fix for this in the next patch. In the mean time I suggest to test the game-clock rate yourself in comparison to an external clock. And correct your time measurements based on that.

As for tracking AOB. If you switch quickly between periscope and map you should get the same AOB value. With a bit more calculation work there is another way. The course of the target should stay constant. So you should be able to work back calculation from visual AOB, bearing and ownship course to an estimate target course. Same on the map: measure bearing direction on the map with line tools and add/subtracht AOB to get target course. Or mark positions of the icon and draw a line through them. Then compare if you got it right.

Other than that, from what distance do you fire at targets? Try to get closer as you will have better odds against measurement errors you made.
Old 06-10-19, 06:07 PM   #18
stoppro
Sonar Guy

well one hit out of nine- right up the stern -and i am not sure how i did that I will just have to keep practicing .
Old 06-10-19, 06:17 PM   #19
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

If you aimed in the middle and the torpedo hits the aft of it then there are 2 possibilities: it's speed is higher than you set on the TDC, or the AOB was closer to 90 than you set the TDC (which side of 90 degrees we can't tell from your information).

Also try to fire the torpedo when the gyro angle is towards the bow. Turn the periscope to make that so. Then turn the boat if you have to, to get the target in view. Then range becomes a less, or even not, important factor in the torpedo aiming.

p.s. Also never fire from directly behind the target. Odds are high that you will miss because of it's small size. Extend away, surface when safe and move around it at max speed, dive when you are in front of it within 2km to it's path. And wait for it to come in front of you by itself. Attack when gyro angle is set to 0, and target crosses the periscope line. Then AOB is approaching 90 degrees with much better odds of hitting.

Last edited by Pisces; 06-10-19 at 06:34 PM.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-19, 06:47 PM   #20
stoppro
Sonar Guy

Thank you, I forgot about the m key ON the shot I hit I set 4 degrees starboard. I had a near miss with the stern tube. I'll just keep at it.
Old 06-20-19, 06:22 PM   #21
captgeo
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 105

Great post......thank you,keep them coming.
Old 06-24-19, 03:50 PM   #22
PeterS
Swabbie

Downloads: 83

I noticed the second or third torpedo often pass right through a ship (solution enabled) in the tutorial. Did not see this in the Skirmish mission so far. Is this a known thing? Torpedo depth was ok. Not sure if this is a bug or not, but I saw this repeatedly when practicing a few solution tactics (thanks to Mr. Stoßtrupp!) and then enabled the solution right after the shot and just saw the torpedos go through the ship, as if collision was broken.
The first torpedo in a tutorial mission always hits, this occurs with subsequent shots only. Also saw some similar report on the Steam forum. Odd, but admittedly not game breaking.
PeterS is offline   Reply With Quote