SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-14-08, 10:50 PM   #16
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

DivingDuck spent MONTHS, by HEX to bring this about!
And you all just blow him off as if he's nothing.
I am totally disappointed.
Face it.
If not for him?
You would not have it at all!
Old 07-15-08, 12:22 AM   #17
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Ok, let's stay on topic, please. If there are issues, settle by e-mail or PM.

Neal
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-08, 02:29 AM   #18
Xantrokoles
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 13
Uploads: 0

Thanks for the positive sentiments.

Quote:
DivingDuck spent MONTHS, by HEX to bring this about!
And you all just blow him off as if he's nothing.
I am totally disappointed.
Face it.
If not for him?
You would not have it at all!
(This is in my oppinion a insult and it is to clear puplic)
You are right. DD did a lot of work for the SH3 open hatch mod.
He did especially great work on all interiors!
Without him I couldn't bring this out. That's the reason he is the first one in the credits.
But it wasn't just a copying for SH3 to SH4. They are similare games, based on the same engine, but I had to use the SH4 interior as a base.
The worst part was the cameras. I had problems with setting the radio room cameras into the command room DAT file.

A lot of mods are reworks of previous mods and mods from other people. And I don't think I have blowed him off.
Old 07-15-08, 03:00 AM   #19
Kapitan_Phillips
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 202

Didnt take long for things to go sour, did it. If you have personal gripes with people, use PMs.
Old 07-15-08, 12:31 PM   #20
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeFF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xantrokoles
The hatch between the command room and the radio room in the type IX interior was in real life always opened.
Was it? Who says? I'm betting that at the first site of any enemy the boat got buttoned up tighter than a sardine tin.
Well, with the hatch closed it would be hard for the sonarman to communicate with personnel in the control room, so in that sense it would make sense to keep the hatch open. The sonarmen also wore their headset only on their right ear in order to better communicate with the rest of the crew. Now that would make for a cool mod as well.
That is a fascinating point. On the one hand, the idea of having watertight doors is to keep the water out, and once you have a breach it's too late to try to close them. On the other hand, as you say, how would they communicate? In the American boats the sensor stations were all in the control room and the conning tower, so the question doesn't arise. The German kaluens might have concluded that if the hull was opened anywhere it was too late for the whole boat, so why worry about it?

And as for worrying about it, I've already said that it's too cool not to use, so my debating with myself is pretty much pointless.
Old 07-15-08, 03:46 PM   #21
Xantrokoles
Seasoned Skipper

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The hatch between the command room and the radio room in the type IX interior was in real life always opened.
Was it? Who says? I'm betting that at the first site of any enemy the boat got buttoned up tighter than a sardine tin.
Well, with the hatch closed it would be hard for the sonarman to communicate with personnel in the control room, so in that sense it would make sense to keep the hatch open. The sonarmen also wore their headset only on their right ear in order to better communicate with the rest of the crew. Now that would make for a cool mod as well.
That is a fascinating point. On the one hand, the idea of having watertight doors is to keep the water out, and once you have a breach it's too late to try to close them. On the other hand, as you say, how would they communicate? In the American boats the sensor stations were all in the control room and the conning tower, so the question doesn't arise. The German kaluens might have concluded that if the hull was opened anywhere it was too late for the whole boat, so why worry about it?

And as for worrying about it, I've already said that it's too cool not to use, so my debating with myself is pretty much pointless.
I could bet with you that they were opened.

I read it in 'Das Boot'.
I saw it in the filem 'Das Boot'
I read it in the book 'Ubootkrieg'
And I saw it in the shortmovie 'Erich topp'

Old 07-17-08, 01:23 AM   #22
Anvart
Admiral

Downloads: 122
Uploads: 1

Quote:
That is a fascinating point. On ...

Moses said: "Don't create yourself an idol"...
Anvart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-08, 01:31 AM   #23
DarkFolle
A-ganger

Downloads: 62

Bernard!!! stop running in the boat!! I want those Hatches closed......errr...opened.....closed........opened .......clos......

Will the commander take some rest?
I hope so. And we still have to go on patrol.....

Nice job with this mod!
DarkFolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-08, 04:19 AM   #24
Fish40
The Old Man

Downloads: 146

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I could bet with you that they were opened.

I read it in 'Das Boot'.
I saw it in the filem 'Das Boot'
I read it in the book 'Ubootkrieg'
And I saw it in the shortmovie 'Erich topp'

I have to agree Das Boot seems to be the most accurate depiction of a U Boat at war that I have seen. Even during the depth charge scenes, the hatches remained open (I don't remember Johanne opening any hatches when he strolled into the control room after he wigged out).

During the movie RSRD, the hatches remained open until the Cpt. ordered "Collision alarm" (the scene with the runaway torpedo)
Fish40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-08, 05:02 AM   #25
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Das Boot is of course very accurate in most things, howevere certain things needed be acommodated to the filming technique, like f.e. the blue lights -which never were on a real german WW2 U-Boat- Petersen said in the comments of the Director's cut version that those blue lights were used to make a more dramatic efect, making faces even more pale and ambience darker during the most dangerous moments, so as to set a bigger visual difference.

About the hatches: The watertight hatches are in all warships as a mean of being able to isolate damaged -flooding, burning- compartments, helping stop the flooding extend all over the boat or suffocating fire. In surface battleships they are mostly closed when at battlestations -Steve can sure give more precise details- but I must confess that I have no idea of what was done in submarines. From what I have readed, it looks like US submarines did not close them at least in the control room and conning tower while at combat, as I have readed several accounts of plain voice communicating between compartments and even glancing down through the hatch. I suppose it is more or less logical, because a submarine is smaller than a surface warship, and with much less compartments, so they can react quicker and more effectivier to emergencies.

Given the internal distribution of compartments in german submarines, I would bet that the hatch was open between control room and radio as well as to the conning tower. Probably the engine room and torpedo rooms had them however closed, as communicating was done through speakers due to the distance.
Old 07-19-08, 06:09 AM   #26
Xantrokoles
Seasoned Skipper

Oh no the Diesel compartment door was always closed. The noise is horrible and the door had to stop a lil bit the smell of oil and exhausts.
But as said above, when one compartment is full of water, the pressure air wouldn't be enough to surface and keep the sub surfaced. So the hatches are only for fire or when someone is stinking very hard.:rotfl:
Old 07-19-08, 07:08 AM   #27
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

You guys are funny. You make an open door mod. Months of work. Then ask the question whether the doors were closed or open during patrol.:hmm: Cart before the horse? Anyway, it is very cool non-the-less!
Old 07-19-08, 07:46 AM   #28
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I started the questioning, and I never really wondered or cared whether the doors were open during a patrol. Everyone should know by now that I only ask questions like that when someone makes a flat statement - i.e. "was in real life always opened" - without providing evidence up front.

I don't consider Das Boot - movie or book - to be evidence. Just look at all the controversy - Bucheim said the movie wasn't realistic. Some kaleun or other said the book wasn't how it really was. I've never seen any source that talked about it directly one way or the other, but there are a dozen books I haven't read for every one I have.

I do agree with the logic, though. If the boat can't sustain even one flooded compartment, then it makes no sense not to have the line of communication open. On the other hand, it would have made more sense to have the soundman in the control room so you could close all the doors.

And I also agree that the mod is far to cool to not be used. I love seeing as much of my boat in a glance as I can.
Old 07-19-08, 11:12 AM   #29
Xantrokoles
Seasoned Skipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhayl
It's always a good occasion to think about things we don't usually notice or pay attention to, nothing wrong with that
Now, have to open that conning tower hatch :p
When you made this, you are good

The devs set the hatch wrong. When you move the CT to CR hatch on the C'R to CT hatch, you have two periscopes in your command room

So I thought I can integrate the CT interior in the external conning.
No way:rotfl:

I won't test with uboats of type VII

@Steve:
Noone wanted to blame you!
Warhawk made a joke and I think it was a god one
Old 07-23-08, 01:24 AM   #30
Orion2012
Commodore

Downloads: 0

Gonna give her a try right now...
Orion2012 is offline   Reply With Quote