SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-31-19, 12:52 AM   #1
ItsErisGaming
Nub

Downloads: 25
Uploads: 0
Default Help in Scapa Flow and Gibraltar

I need help to sink all ships in said ports on title along its patrol to scare off Churchill and possibly send in entire British Navy to sink me

The problem is, the patrols are too tough and leads me to be sunked.

Any mods that could help me? Unlimited Torpedos and OP guns would be nice.

P.S: First try on Gibraltar before I posted this thread, destroyed almost every ship there. Even HMS Nelson and some Heavy Crusiers but got sunk by planes in return

P.P.S: Unlike other players, I always hunt for Captial Ships like Carriers and Battleships
ItsErisGaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-19, 05:34 AM   #2
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 488
Uploads: 4

There are various edits you can do to game files for what you want. But keep trying; both missions are very easy as the various asw ships are incredibly bad in both.
Old 10-31-19, 10:31 AM   #3
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

It'sErisGaming!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-19, 11:56 AM   #4
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > ItsErisGaming
Subsim <> Make A Donation <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
SH3 – 4 - 5 Tutorials > Downloads > Other Useful Information > See Links in My Signature Below
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-19, 03:53 PM   #5
StrangeSignal
Swabbie

Downloads: 27

Depends on what time during the war you are in. In 1939 and 1940 I've done both plenty of times there, it's not too difficult until like 1942 when patrols increase and allied crews and equipment become better.

It's best to coordinate your attack for nighttime. I've found the best way to approach Scapa Flow is not through the historical route east of the harbor, but from the west. There's only one motorboat patrol here that you need to keep an eye for so early in the war, and usually a destroyer patrolling far north of the harbor, so you need to time your entrance properly.

A valuable trick is to go 'decks awash' and submerge the submarine to about 7, or 8 meters if possible, so that the deck ends up below the waterline but the conning tower is above it, then you can still use the diesel engine while being harder to spot - only disadvantage is that you will be slower. Submerge fully to periscope depth when approaching about 5km from the coastal gun batteries. You'll have to take long range torpedo shots, but the islands south of the harbor often sink most destroyers aproaching from the east due to the AI not handling islands well.

There's also a floating dock nearby for some easy 30k GRT. Don't wait for torpedoes to reach their target, shoot and get out. It will take destroyers a while to get there, if you retreat at slow speed underwater you'll be out of their detection range by when they arrive.

As for Gibraltar,
-approach from the center of the entrance, this will reduce chances of the coastal batteries spotting your periscope
-be patient, not fast. Reduce the noise by going at no more than 2 knots underwater. It's tedious, but a lot safer.
-sometimes, a convoy spawns around there before you arrive. If something spots you, they always call for reinforcements.
-always stay at periscope depth as long as possible, even if that means consuming most of your battery power and being low on oxygen
-take long range shots, work fast, and do not surface until at least reaching the safety of deep waters.
-do not bother turning around to leave the harbour, there are usually destroyers docked there and they will spot you, but not move to attack you, if you make too much noise. Just reverse at minimum speed, you'll be out of range a few minutes faster and just as silently.

Hope it helps. I've done it plenty of times, until I got a scare when the destroyer north of Scapa Flow found me in shallow waters and I spent half an hour trying to get away, until I got a lucky hit from the aft torpedo tube

Hope it helps.
StrangeSignal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-19, 04:19 PM   #6
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeSignal View Post
Depends on what time during the war you are in. In 1939 and 1940 I've done both plenty of times there, it's not too difficult until like 1942 when patrols increase and allied crews and equipment become better.

It's best to coordinate your attack for nighttime. I've found the best way to approach Scapa Flow is not through the historical route east of the harbor, but from the west. There's only one motorboat patrol here that you need to keep an eye for so early in the war, and usually a destroyer patrolling far north of the harbor, so you need to time your entrance properly.

A valuable trick is to go 'decks awash' and submerge the submarine to about 7, or 8 meters if possible, so that the deck ends up below the waterline but the conning tower is above it, then you can still use the diesel engine while being harder to spot - only disadvantage is that you will be slower. Submerge fully to periscope depth when approaching about 5km from the coastal gun batteries. You'll have to take long range torpedo shots, but the islands south of the harbor often sink most destroyers aproaching from the east due to the AI not handling islands well.

There's also a floating dock nearby for some easy 30k GRT. Don't wait for torpedoes to reach their target, shoot and get out. It will take destroyers a while to get there, if you retreat at slow speed underwater you'll be out of their detection range by when they arrive.

As for Gibraltar,
-approach from the center of the entrance, this will reduce chances of the coastal batteries spotting your periscope
-be patient, not fast. Reduce the noise by going at no more than 2 knots underwater. It's tedious, but a lot safer.
-sometimes, a convoy spawns around there before you arrive. If something spots you, they always call for reinforcements.
-always stay at periscope depth as long as possible, even if that means consuming most of your battery power and being low on oxygen
-take long range shots, work fast, and do not surface until at least reaching the safety of deep waters.
-do not bother turning around to leave the harbour, there are usually destroyers docked there and they will spot you, but not move to attack you, if you make too much noise. Just reverse at minimum speed, you'll be out of range a few minutes faster and just as silently.

Hope it helps. I've done it plenty of times, until I got a scare when the destroyer north of Scapa Flow found me in shallow waters and I spent half an hour trying to get away, until I got a lucky hit from the aft torpedo tube

Hope it helps.
Fwiw, decks awash does not affect visibility unfortunately.
Old 11-01-19, 05:15 PM   #7
StrangeSignal
Swabbie

Downloads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pancoast View Post
Fwiw, decks awash does not affect visibility unfortunately.
Are you sure? I've tested that using the stock game's 'noise measurement' and found that it can go from red to green the moment I do, even when I'm being shot at - provided the enemy is not too close, obviously.
StrangeSignal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-19, 05:25 PM   #8
ItsErisGaming
Nub

Downloads: 25

Quote:

As for Gibraltar,

Hope it helps.
Yeah... I rather raid Gibraltar. Scapa Flow sometimes doesn't have docked ships
ItsErisGaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-19, 08:06 PM   #9
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Are you sure? I've tested that using the stock game's 'noise measurement' and found that it can go from red to green the moment I do, even when I'm being shot at - provided the enemy is not too close, obviously.

Just going by numerous posts about the subject. Never bothered testing it myself.