SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-12-19, 05:24 AM   #1
Adock
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 6
Uploads: 0
Default Sh3 vs wolfpack vs uboat

Hi,

What's the best uboot simulator between sh3 gwx3,uboat and wolfpack (solo mode)
I use to play gwx3 and should like to play a "2019 sh3"

I thank you
Adock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-19, 05:52 AM   #2
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > Adock
Subsim <> Make A Donation <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
SH3 – 4 - 5 Tutorials > Downloads > Other Useful Information > See Links in My Signature Below
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-19, 09:45 AM   #3
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

Adock!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-19, 11:27 AM   #4
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adock View Post
Hi,

What's the best uboot simulator between sh3 gwx3,uboat and wolfpack (solo mode)
I use to play gwx3 and should like to play a "2019 sh3"

I thank you
Hard to say without knowing what you liked about playing SH3 GWX3. And what of that you consider best or good required to be in the other games. There is no best or good-for-all subsim. There are too many different elements to the gameplay of the games mentioned.

It's quite unfair to compare Wolfpack at this stage. It is far from fully developed, it is early access by a 2 man development team. It's focused on MP, so has a limited operational/spawn region and no time compression. The kind of missions you can play now is still quite limited.

WP has no crew-management (the bots don't have a life). That is, the intended crew-management is with human people. So, again an unfair comparision against the other games. But for the sake of discussion, Uboat and SH3 have crew management in common. I have not played Uboat recently so I cannot comment on it developments since first publication. Although drawn to it before it was released, I now do not like the sims-meet-silenthunter setting. Many players disabled SH3 crew fatigue. I personally didn't mind the micromanagement of fatigued crew.

Imho the uboat interior and operational controls of WP are 10 times better than the other games. Although it is not fully modeled with all compartments, it contains all the necessary spaces to operate with 5 man. (SH3 has had more time to gain mod development with RAOBF and other user interface enhancements) I find those in WP more usefull than the simplified 2D interface and mediocre 3d controls in SH3 and Uboat. Map-tools in Wolfpack are another level above SH3. Uboat isn't even worth to go into in this respect.

What SH3 and Uboat have in common is that you have a strategic element to gameplay by your choice of positioning on the map. You have freedom to stroll around to hopefully find something soon. Maybe guided on hints provided on the map. In Wolfpack (at this stage of development) you spawn and you know something is around you. You just don't know where or how far. All it takes is looking on the surface around you, or dive and get a direction on the hydrophone. Then move to it and wait for something to appear. The search phase is severly shortend and you can hardly miss once audible contact is made. After that phase SH3 and Wolfpack and Uboat provide similar gameplay in attacking the convoy. TDC operation in Wolfpack is fully manual though. You will need to learn this. There is no assistance other than the training scenario.

There is another thread in this subsim forum about the Scapa Flow mission (to be developed next) where you can read what they have in mind for that.

I'm out of ideas on what details to compare. Please elaborate your own wishes.
Old 10-12-19, 01:31 PM   #5
JU_88
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 10

Your only going to get bias views and preferences.
Only way you will know is by playing all 3 yourself.
SH3 can be picked up dirt cheap and and you can mod it up pretty easily.
So Id maybe start there. though its age can present some problems in getting it to run nicely on modern systems, (so be warned)
WP and Uboat are modern and both are still WIP, but both should be pretty special by the time they are complete.
So maybe back burner/ wish list them and grab them when they are next on sale or when you are done with SH3.
JU_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-19, 01:51 PM   #6
Convoi_PQ17
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

SH3 is best overall.

For playing 2019-SH3 check out GWR.
Old 10-13-19, 06:44 AM   #7
JuanLiquid
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 60

tl;dr; Best one overall today: SH3 + mods. Maybe in one or two years, it will be Wolfpack / Uboat.

I own all of them. While Uboat and Wolfpack are still in early stages, I'm sure they will become much better than SH3, and will let him rest in peace at some moment.

The one I play the most nowadays is SH3 with several mods, then Wolfpack and then Uboat.

If you like crew management, then the best one is Uboat, next SH3 and last one Wolfpack.

If you want play a solo campaign during all the years of war, the best is SH3, then Uboat (It will be much better), then Wolfpack.

For multiplayer, the king is Wolfpack, then SH3. Uboat doesn't allow it.

For realism, at the moment the best is SH3, because the torpedo physics, planes, variety of ships, etc. In the second place Wolfpack - it lacks a lot of mechanics yet, but it have others that SH3 lacks. I'm sure Wolfpack will become the superior choice on realism.

For stability, I'd think there are a tripple tie here. Wolfpack is being developed and it has a lots of (minor) bugs. I do not play Uboat due to bugs. SH3 will crash some times, and will corrupt your savegames if you are using bad mod settings or saving in some circunstances.

For interface, the best one is Wolfpack. SH3 is too dated. Uboat is nice, but I hate some things, like the accidental mouse wheel usage, or the dragging scopes like they were a Firefox/Chrome window scroll.

For inmersion: I think SH3 is still the more inmersive, due to multiple tools and mods. However I think it will be surpased soon by Uboat, then Wolfpack.
JuanLiquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-19, 09:19 AM   #8
derstosstrupp
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 489

Please have a look at our Wolfpack BdU Campaign hosted here under the Wolfpack forum. What we are trying to do is simulate the SH3 experience of crews going out on patrol and earning awards etc. and using Wolfpack as engagement engine for that. We have modded the game to introduce some more realism aspects such as dud torpedoes, circle runners, positive buoyancy on torpedo fire etc., to enhance the realism even further. But know that Wolfpack is an incredibly realistic experience as it is even using stock.

We encourage crew cohesion, and training your crew. Skippers who train their crews get benefits in the campaign. So I guess from that aspect crew management is a real win for Wolfpack because you need to manage your Irl crew as a skipper. Real people, real personalities, real differences, etc.We seek to enhance that concept even further with our campaign.

One-Stop Targeting Shop:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...WwBt-1vjW28JbO
My YT Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIJ...9FXbD3S2kgwdPQ
derstosstrupp is online   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-19, 05:43 AM   #9
tacter
Swabbie

Downloads: 4

Great info here. I have Wolfpack, SH3 and SH2 but it has been awhile since I messed with Wolfpack. Gonna enjoy the software a bit more to develop an informed newbie opinion.

Now where did I stash my Microprose stuff.....
tacter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-19, 06:16 AM   #10
RConch
Captain

Downloads: 503

Just got U boat, but will have to see if they make a work around for my Nvidia card. The game does not work now. It loads-looks nice, just a no-go.