SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-26-21, 12:17 AM   #1
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Default [REQ] Longer burning fires

Just sunk a tanker in a night surface attack in October 1944. 4 Mark 18's from 2900 yards on 7000 ton tanker, two from 2200 yards on a 4000 ton freighter. Tanker went up in a massive fireball and with EAX sound mod, the sounds are amazing. Freighter blew up nicely as well after two hits, both quickly went down in the shallow waters in Area D3 off Cau Mau Peninsula, Indochina.

Explosions, fires are great in TMO but problem is fires just do not burn long enough, a tanker like that. burning oil and debris from a tanker should burn for hours, in the sim might be a bit uch, least an hour or two or s or even 45 minutes would be reasonable not the 5-8 minutes lol. Assuming this is possible.

Beyond my abilities so if someone who possesses the know how would solve this for TMO, would be much appreciate and really enhance the sim.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-21, 06:42 AM   #2
Canonicus
XO

Downloads: 623
Uploads: 7

I think what you are asking might involve a change in the particular fire and smoke effects found in the Particles.dat file. Oil fires and the attached smoke effects both have a Life...making them last longer should not be a problem.
Old 05-26-21, 09:28 AM   #3
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3215
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
Just sunk a tanker in a night surface attack in October 1944. 4 Mark 18's from 2900 yards on 7000 ton tanker, two from 2200 yards on a 4000 ton freighter. Tanker went up in a massive fireball and with EAX sound mod, the sounds are amazing. Freighter blew up nicely as well after two hits, both quickly went down in the shallow waters in Area D3 off Cau Mau Peninsula, Indochina.

Explosions, fires are great in TMO but problem is fires just do not burn long enough, a tanker like that. burning oil and debris from a tanker should burn for hours, in the sim might be a bit uch, least an hour or two or s or even 45 minutes would be reasonable not the 5-8 minutes lol. Assuming this is possible.

Beyond my abilities so if someone who possesses the know how would solve this for TMO, would be much appreciate and really enhance the sim.
In TMO I use Longer Sinking Times for TMO mod. Long time to sink, long time with fires, until the ship sinks. I don´t try it in FOTRSU.

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-21, 10:36 AM   #4
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo View Post
In TMO I use Longer Sinking Times for TMO mod. Long time to sink, long time with fires, until the ship sinks. I don´t try it in FOTRSU.

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo
I believe I tried this mod for TMO. Unfortunately it conflicts with vickers smoke mod for TMO ( smoke for merchants so can visually track them from distances as was done) . the particle.dat file. They overwrite one another.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-21, 07:17 PM   #5
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post

the issue is the ship disappears after it sinks and when it vanishes it takes all the related damage dynamics of graphics attached to that ship. i think you would need to completely redo or create new damage controllers for the ships to do what you want
Old 05-29-21, 08:02 PM   #6
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130
Uploads: 0

Create an oil spill and attach the fire to that.
Old 05-30-21, 11:20 PM   #7
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
Create an oil spill and attach the fire to that.
exactly. burning debris of some kind. figure out a way to separate part(s) of the sunken ship and have them float on the surface, burning.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote