SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 U-Boat Missions Add On
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-02-20, 06:25 AM   #1
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4
Default Where is the enemy?

I have SH4 with U-Boot Missions 1.5. I have started to play the German campaign once in stock, once with FOTRSU 1.1 mod, but in either cases I don't get any reports from enemy convoys or task forces (red squares), only a lot of reports from friendly units. So where is the enemy in the pacific region?
Also once I was ordered to deliver supplies at Tokyo, once arrived after a totally quiet voyage without encountering any enemies, the game finally crashed when I deliver the goods by pressing 'Launch Boat' at the objective.

Of course I could play SH3 or SH5 when playing the German campaign, but I wonder what I'm supposed to do and where to patrol in SH4 U-Boot campaign.

Thanks for any feedbacks,
XS
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-20, 08:35 AM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

The U-Boat Missions Add-On in SH4 Stock is lame, to put it politely... All they did was basically take the files out of the US Pacific side, and put them in a "CampaignGE / CampaignData folder and change a few names to protect the guilty. You will eventually get assignments to the Indian Ocean, but the set-up for the whole thing is rather thin. In FotRSU, all we did was make the ship calls compliant with the FotRSU paradigm, but all else is basically stock. If you really want to do the U-Boats, then you need to do Fifi's re-working of the OM / OMEGU mod combination with his "Dark Waters" mod, or the original OpMonsun from lurker_hlb3. Either way with those mods though, they will interfere with things on the US side, and will require their own copy of the game and separate Save folder - Other than you can (more or less) do TMO with RSRDC and OpMonsun in the same game folder and Save folder, though you definitely have to follow lurker's instructions to the letter at [REL] Operation Monsun. It can be great fun, if you don't mind "dying" in about 2/3 of your "starts"... lol

btw, you can cause more of the US convoy and / or Merchant ships to "announce" themselves by editing the lines "ReportPosMin=" and "ReportPosProbability=" in the mis files for a given "layer" file. As it stands, folks had complained about the frequency of the same in "regular" SH4, so it seems that the percentage of reports was turned "down" in the UBoat Missions...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-20, 08:46 AM   #3
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Thanks Propbearnie, I now realize that the US side is the core of SH4 anyway, although I like the work done on German U-boats by Ubisoft. Also I have to document myself what exactly was the scope of operations in the Pacific by German U-boats, I know that other the American and South American coasts they went as far as the Indian Ocean, but I ignore all of their operations in the Pacific - if anything important.

I have spotted in Celebes Sea an enemy plane, I was wondering where it came from, so I draw a 1200 miles circle from my position and found a single enemy airport far in the West, after the Palau Islands. I think I have to patrol around the few US ports like Midway, Marshall Islands, and much more West to find US units - if any in the game. But I'll keep your warning about the lame stock campaign in mind.

Greetings,
XS
Old 06-03-20, 06:24 AM   #4
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Just to set things straight, the Mods Workshops are for people creating and advertising mods. the [Notes] are for that purpose, not for conversations and questions.
Old 06-03-20, 08:37 AM   #5
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
Just to set things straight, the Mods Workshops are for people creating and advertising mods. the [Notes] are for that purpose, not for conversations and questions.

Yes, sorry Steve, I picked-up the wrong section.

XS