SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-02-12, 05:51 PM   #1
themrwho
Torpedoman

Downloads: 140
Uploads: 0

Default [REL] Grandpa's Gauges for OM+OMEGU (rev1)

// Thank you CapnScurvy

Grandpa's Gauges for OM+OMEGU
(rev1)

Screenshots 1st, details below...

OM+OMEGU with Grandpa's Gauges installed (mouse inactive)

OM+OMEGU with Grandpa's Gauges installed (mouse over gauge)

for comparison purposes -- Standard OM+OMEGU Gauges (mouse inactive)

for comparison purposes -- Standard OM+OMEGU setup with Grandpa's Gauges (mouse over gauge)

DISCLAIMER
OM + OMEGU is great. I can't thank enough to lurker and all others whose work is incorporated to his mods. Once again I love OM and nothing wrong with it. Even on bigger screens it is perfectly fine. Now the only problem is with my eyesight please read the rest of this post with this point on mind...

INTRODUCTION
I have a 23" screen with 1920x1080 resolution; OM+OMEGUs standard gauges are painfully small for my taste. They are difficult to read (for me) plus it is impossible (again, it is just me) to set speed to a precise value, e.g. 8 knots, without investing several seconds to hit the correct tiny point on the gauge.

I don't like this - ideally, I would like a MUCH bigger sized gauge so that I can simply click and point - as swiftly as standard mouse point-n-click operation.

Now this mod provides just that, for 1920x1080 screens.

CREDITS
This is a derivative work. It is first and foremost an adaptation of CapnScurvy's "Magnified Hud Dials mod" to OM+OMEGU environment.

CapnScurvy's Magnified Hud Dials mod provided bigger HUD Dials for the following 3 gauges:
  • Gauge 1: Telepgraph / knotmeter
  • Gauge 2: Compass / Rudder
  • Gauge 3: Shallow Depth / Deep Depth

As explained in disclaimer section, even "magnified" gauges were not big enough for me so I magnified them even further. They are REALLY BIG now see for yourself

HOW TO INSTALL
This is JSGME compatible so the usual stuff goes. However you will notice there are two directories as listed below:
Grandpa's_Gauges_for_OM+OMEGU_(rev1).1.(main_mod)
Grandpa's_Gauges_for_OM+OMEGU_(rev1).2.(ini_file_t weak)
You need to enable both in succesion - owing to filenames they should come up in the right order, activate the minimod first, then the ini file tweak. If you don't activate ini file tweak it won't work.

NOTE - FOR OTHER SCREEN RESOLUTIONS
Quote:
Note that this is made for my personal use and tested only on my system, therefore it is for my screen resolution only.

If you wish to use this on a different screen resolution you will need to change a few values should take about 5 minutes. If anyone is interested, post below and I will be happy to assist.

NOTE - Why in 2 separate directories?
Quote:
The way this works is by modifying the "menu_1024_768.ini" file. The reason I've created a separate directory just for that one single file is, so that one can manually modify it if need be. If you use other mods you will possibly need to "mod merge" them. This way you can take the default "OMEGU_300--Patch_7" file & the modified file and compare them using WinMerge or Kdiff or some other comparison tool. This will show you what you will need incorporate into your own menu_1024_768.ini file.

A Technical Note...
Quote:
I understand there is a 'tool' (JxME?) that helps with menu_1024_768.ini issues but I just didn't want to spend the time to learn how to optimize - I just wanted to get this done and start playing
If you think this is important and want to create such a version, please send me the link and I will update this 1st post so that others can use it without manual editing hassle.

DOWNLOAD LINK
http://www.filefactory.com/file/2h2r..._OMEGU_rev1_7z

• Please feel free to repost to downloads section if you can (because I cannot).
  • File Factory is a free hosting provider. Scroll to the bottom of the page, prompts for spam protection (captcha) words, once you pass that, it displays a 30 seconds counter but eventually you should be able to download it.

themrwho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-12, 06:42 PM   #2
Wetton
Bosun

Downloads: 475

Very good for someone who uses the compass a lot and wants accurate readings,like myself!Bravo!!!
How can i make it compatible with 1333x768 resolution??Thanks in advance!
Wetton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-12, 07:54 PM   #3
themrwho
Torpedoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetton View Post
Very good for someone who uses the compass a lot and wants accurate readings,like myself!Bravo!!!
How can i make it compatible with 1333x768 resolution??Thanks in advance!
Wetton,

1st I need to tell you there is a great technical document on this main config file (menu_1024_768.ini) here:

[TEC] Tutorial: Deconstructing the menu_1024_768.ini file items
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=111832

Unfortunately I didn't find that thread in time and I did all the changes by launching the game about 100 times manually trying to find out which parameter is which by going to submarine school (fastest way I could find way to test the GUI)

Now, without reading all the tech stuff above, if you just wanna get this modification done as quick as possible here is the key information: There is a value pair (X and Y dimensions) that defines the size of gauges. It works in reverse mode, therefore gauge size 90x90 is smaller than gauge size 75x75. Naturally 75x75 is smaller than 43x43.

• OMEGU v300 patch7 uses gauge size 90
  • CapnScurvy's mod used 75
  • I further increased my gauge size to 43

I recommend you start testing with size 53, not because it is a great size but because it is unique in the file and you can easily change to whatever you wish later on (more on this below). If you are not happy with it, change accordingly.

Here are the steps:
  1. Download and extract "Grandpa's Gauges for OM+OMEGU (rev1)"to your JGSME MODS directory.
  2. Open "Grandpa's_Gauges_for_OM+OMEGU" mod's "menu_1024_768.ini" file with any text editor
    (this file is located under Data\Menu\menu_1024_768.ini).
  3. Launch replace window of your text editor
    (e.g. windows 7's notepad application has this under CTRL+H keyboard shortcut)
  4. In the search for box type in this: 43 43
  5. In the replace with box type in this: 53 53
  6. Hit 'find next' (this should have brought you the first '43 43'.
    We do NOT want to change that as it has nothing to do with my mod (it is from OMEGU).
  7. Hit 'find next' (this should have brought you the second '43 43'.
    We do NOT want to change this one either - you know why.
  8. There are 6 more "43 43s" and we want to change all of them.
    They are pairs of gauge sizes.
    Hit 'replace all' now.
    [i.e. size for gauge1-mode1 & gauge1-mode2 and so on]
  9. Now activate both mods, launch the game.
  10. If not happy, deactivate, edit, reactivate and test.
Now before further modifications, make a copy of that file with gauge size 53 53 in it. Since there are no other "53 53"s in the document, next time you want to edit, simply replace all 53 53s with your desired gauge size.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-02-12, 08:19 PM   #4
Wetton
Bosun

Downloads: 475

Thanks!I shall try this as soon as possible.I have a question though...Doesn't your menu_1024_768.ini overwrite the one alredy modified by OMEGU mod?Or does it add changed values into the file?
Wetton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-12, 08:30 PM   #5
themrwho
Torpedoman

Quote:
Thanks!I shall try this as soon as possible.I have a question though...Doesn't your menu_1024_768.ini overwrite the one alredy modified by OMEGU mod?Or does it add changed values into the file?
Yes it does overwrite but that file is huge and I started with "OMEGU v300 patch 7"s menu file; so in effect the only 'overwritten' parts are the sections about 3 gauges only. In other words, only a tiny bit is overwritten and didn't mess with anything else.

Seems like if one is using multiple mods, this menu file becomes a headache pretty quick, that's why I documented what I did in a separate sub-directory so that anyone can easily compare using one of the comparison tools (kdiff3 / winmerge etc) and replace my ini with theirs - obviously they will need to add the same bits so that gauges will appear the same BUT with their ini file.
Old 04-02-12, 08:47 PM   #6
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Grandpa's Guages???

I find that to be...umm...er...just what I need!

Thank you muchlees!
Old 04-02-12, 09:21 PM   #7
themrwho
Torpedoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
Grandpa's Guages???

I find that to be...umm...er...just what I need!

Thank you muchlees!
I said to myself, to prevent mixups mod's name should make it clear how big this thing is! enjoy

Biggest thanks go to CapnScurvy, I've based this on his work.

BTW two developments since release;
1) Before posting, I did several hours of testing but was just quick tests. Now that I am actually 'playing' with this in career mode, TDC dials started to look too small I just added bigger chronometer and bigger TDC dials in my wishlist, if I ever get to finish them I'll post them too.

2) I noticed that owing to the huge size of the gauges, now one can set a fraction speed such as 0.3 knots. It is reported after being rounded to nearest figure, thus 0.3 kn shows as 0 kn but on the map sub slowly moves and screws do rotate in external view. Could be a cool option to use this for realistic near-dead-stop attacks.

I don't know if real U-boats were able to set such speeds though? What do you think Steve?

Thinking about it, guess it should be realistic because if you one provides very limited power to engines that surely produces very limited output (rpm).

I guess the question is; were U-boat engineers able to provide very limited power?
Old 08-08-12, 12:58 PM   #8
etheberge
Watch Officer

Downloads: 604
Uploads: 10

Does anyone still have this mod? The link is dead and I'm trying to do something similar for my TMO install and my resolution.

Thanks

11 War Patrols / 56 ships sunk or damaged for 212,022 tons
Zero casualties throughout the war
Scuttled on 8 May, 1945 in Sonderburg Bay, after German surrender
etheberge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-12, 07:00 PM   #9
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I have a copy. I was going to upload it here at Subsim but I checked it first and it seems to be corrupted.

If someone has a good copy I'll be glad to put it up here.
Old 09-13-12, 07:36 AM   #10
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

So far, no one has posted a working link to download this. Does anyone have a clean copy they could upload and link in? If not, the best alternative seems to be the tutorial included with Cap'nScurvy's Magnified HUD Dials mod, which is available here

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=1843

By following his directions, you can make the dials as big as you want and be compatible with whatever mod load you run.
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-12, 04:07 PM   #11
CaliEs
Loader

Downloads: 27

Quote:
Precisely the opposite is true.
IMO the modmaker is clueless about what is required for a navy compass in wwii.
A common order for the helmsman would be ... your s/m, now 8.0 miles on the starboard beam of a contact is ordered to take station 10.0 miles broad on the port quarter of the contact, steering course 173° en route for the next 3 hours 20 minutes ....
I do not know how do you do this when there are no detailed degree-marks.

Last edited by CaliEs; 09-19-12 at 04:18 PM.
CaliEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-12, 12:35 AM   #12
snyperAL
Watch

Downloads: 39

is there any way to add snazzy dials like this to 1.4? i dont like the stock ones
snyperAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-12, 10:03 AM   #13
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by snyperAL
is there any way to add snazzy dials like this to 1.4? i dont like the stock ones
Yes.

I'll take a look at making a "Magnified HUD Dials" for the 1.4 version. There is already a 1.5 version found HERE.

Also, I'll look at what themrwho was trying to do with the OM+OMEGU mod. But, I'll need a little help. I've never loaded Operation Monsun or the OMEGU (which I guess is an environmental package?). I see Lurker lists the following as one option for installation:

Install instructions
Only install in port
Install with JSGME in the following order:

OPTION 1

If you wish to play Uboat operations

OM v705
OM v720
OM v720 Patch 5

If you wish to play Uboat operations ONLY and use OMEGU

OM v705
OM v720
OM v720 Patch 5
OMEGU v300
OMEGU v300 Patch 7

If you wish to play Uboat operations ONLY and use OMEGU plus optional OMEGU mods:

OM v705
OM v720
OM v720 Patch 5
OMEGU v300
OMEGU v300 Patch 7

So, am I correct in saying that the following:

OM v705
OM v720
OM v720 Patch 5
OMEGU v300
OMEGU v300 Patch 7

placed over the SH4 version 1.5 game is the install order that most of you guys use? Also, is the OMEGU v300 and it's patch in the original OM v720 download, or do I have to look for it in another thread?

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-12, 07:00 PM   #14
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
Yes.

So, am I correct in saying that the following:

OM v705
OM v720
OM v720 Patch 5
OMEGU v300
OMEGU v300 Patch 7

placed over the SH4 version 1.5 game is the install order that most of you guys use? Also, is the OMEGU v300 and it's patch in the original OM v720 download, or do I have to look for it in another thread?
Cap'n, that load worked for me, although the fileset is called "OM v705 to v720", not just "OM v720". On the SubSim SH4 megamods download page, each fileset is a separate download. Don't know if they are bundled together at a different location.

BTW, even if you have no interest in the ATO, OM is worth looking at just to gain an appreciation for the great flexibility of the underlying SH3/SH4 engine. A shame UberSoft didn't care more about what they had.

Last edited by BigWalleye; 10-28-12 at 07:27 PM.
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-14, 01:27 PM   #15
themrwho
Torpedoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliEs View Post
Precisely the opposite is true.
IMO the modmaker is clueless about what is required for a navy compass in wwii.
<snip>
removed my old post. looks like I got upset at the time...

Last edited by themrwho; 03-31-22 at 09:05 PM. Reason: I guess I was upset