SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-16-16, 03:56 AM   #1
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

Default U-505 museum

Did you guys know that the museum staff will never mention Peter Zschech killing himself on U-505 while on tour? I've tried to get them to but they always give me an evil look. I guess they are scared it will spook guests! I find it interesting.

DISCORD
https://discord.gg/6tFeTSUmVc
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-16, 06:39 AM   #2
Kapt Z
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 0

The Brits captured a type viic intact off Iceland some time before. That's where they obtained the enigma encoder.

Capturing a intact enemy sub was a coup for any navy no matter the circumstances!
Old 03-16-16, 06:47 AM   #3
bstanko6
Admiral

Interesting, the wiki says 505 was the most damaged uboat, but I thought u333 was.

DISCORD
Old 03-16-16, 10:15 AM   #4
U505995
Planesman

Downloads: 70

The 505 was interesting but what I didn't like was how they cut out the round hatches and lowered the floors from their original levels in several compartments. It was a little disappointing.
U505995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-16, 10:20 AM   #5
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstanko6 View Post
Interesting, the wiki says 505 was the most damaged uboat, but I thought u333 was.
U MAY JUDGE FOR YOURSELF: U-333 was hit many times always returning to base until its demise at the hands of a SQUID of the Scilly Isles and damaged often; but for a one time near-kaput occasion and getting all the way back home-U505!! http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?p=2348758#post2348758 Additionally my post # 27 in the same thread may be of some interest... Regarding the death of Peter Zschech.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-16, 07:58 AM   #6
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstanko6 View Post
Did you guys know that the museum staff will never mention Peter Zschech killing himself on U-505 while on tour? I've tried to get them to but they always give me an evil look. I guess they are scared it will spook guests! I find it interesting.
Seamen are well know for their superstitions.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-16, 03:51 PM   #7
bstanko6
Admiral

Ha ha Jimbuna. I just find it funny that a museum, a place rich with history, would enjoy history and not keep quiet about it. I live close to 505 and have gone many times to see her. Even though they modified the boat for tours, it is still an awesome tour.

DISCORD
Old 03-18-16, 07:41 AM   #8
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Yeah, I have seen many pictures taken by people I know who have visited and must admit I would love to go there myself one day.

Old 03-18-16, 08:14 AM   #9
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Yeah, I have seen many pictures taken by people I know who have visited and must admit I would love to go there myself one day.
Did you ever go out to visit U-534 in Birkenhead, Liverpool and if so, what were your impressions of the exhibit ?

Last edited by Commander Wallace; 03-18-16 at 08:24 AM.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-16, 08:37 AM   #10
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Wallace View Post
Did you ever go out to visit U-534 in Birkenhead, Liverpool and if so, what were your impressions of the exhibit ?
Truly butchered but because of financial constraints a lot better than being given away for scrap.

The biggest positive for me is seeing how many children visit and learn what WWII was all about (well certainly a better insight than the classroom).

Old 03-20-16, 01:53 PM   #11
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Truly butchered but because of financial constraints a lot better than being given away for scrap.

The biggest positive for me is seeing how many children visit and learn what WWII was all about (well certainly a better insight than the classroom).
It was a shame to see U-534 dismantled but considering the poor condition of the sub and budgetary constraints, I'm assuming it wasn't cost effective to try and restore it.

U-505 and the type 7 U-boat in Laboe Germany and a type XXI, U-2540, now called Wilhelm Bauer in Bremerhaven and the type II are the last surviving relatively intact Uboats. It seems the museum where U-505 is has gone to great lengths to showcase the exhibit including sound effects and Diffused lighting on the hull of the sub to simulate the underwater effects.

U-534 being dismantled
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-16, 06:20 AM   #12
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Wallace View Post
It was a shame to see U-534 dismantled but considering the poor condition of the sub and budgetary constraints, I'm assuming it wasn't cost effective to try and restore it.

U-505 and the type 7 U-boat in Laboe Germany and a type XXI, U-2540, now called Wilhelm Bauer in Bremerhaven and the type II are the last surviving relatively intact Uboats. It seems the museum where U-505 is has gone to great lengths to showcase the exhibit including sound effects and Diffused lighting on the hull of the sub to simulate the underwater effects.

U-534 being dismantled
Indeed.....a great job was done considering the meagre funding that was available initially.

Great to see you picked the clip that explains the 'cheese cutter' because I should imagine a great many people don't know precisely what method was used to cut her into the sections