SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-04-11, 07:59 PM   #1
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 0

Review: Ship Killer: A history of the American torpedo

For Christmas, I received a copy of

Ship Killer: A history of the American torpedo (2010) by Thomas Wildenberg and Normal Polmar. Published by Naval Institute Press.

I was pleasantly surprised at this book. I figured that between Hellions of the Deep, Iron Men and Tin Fish and several great articles, I thought I had American Torpedoes pretty well covered.

I waz wrong. Ship Killer introduced historical information not found in those other books.

The book covers pretty well the non powered torpedoes from 1775 until 1865. But it is the history of the development of the motor torpedo starting in 1869 where this book really shines.

Other torpedo books focus on submarine launched torpedoes, but submarines were but one platform for which torpedoes were designed. Ship Killer goes in to good detail on ship launched and air dropped torpedo developments.

Naturally any book on the history of torpedoes will address the problems with the Mark 14, but this book also delves into the problems with the other torpedoes. If you thought the Mark 14 was bad, wait until you read about the Mark 13. It made the Mark 14 look like a piece of art.

Of special interest is information on how the Navy, in the 1920's, envisioned torpedoes to be used in future wars. This chapter addresses the rational for the "requirements" of torpedoes which forced the developers to design torpedoes which were, in many cases, too complex to work in a combat situation.

The book does delve into non-US torpedoes briefly, specifically with regards to the Japanese Type 93 Oxygen torpedo.

Up until the end of WWII, the book is well formatted. However, when detailing the history of post WWII torpedoes, the author jumps around a bit. It is understandable because they wanted to address torpedo development thematically, but like many historians, they are a little light in the date anchors. Frequently I had to back read to find out the year they were referring to.

The period of torpedo development between 1945 and 1960 is an interesting period not always properly addressed in other torpedo texts. Ship Killer covered this period very well. The book kinda speeds up in the 1970s - 1990s. The book ends rather abruptly with the Mark 48 ADCAP. It is like the authors ran out of time.

But wait, there is more.

Appendix A covers the development of Torpedo Directors starting in the late 19th century. This is an area I have not been able to find texts that cover this technology. A very nice find indeed.

Appendix B lists and describes the US Navy experimental torpedoes. Since these were not adopted by the US Navy, few books delve in to great detail. But Ship Killer does.

Last, but not least, Appendix C lists all the torpedoes that were adopted into the US Navy starting with the Howell Mark 1 (1894) to the Mark 54 (2004).

All in all, I am very happy with this book. If you already have Hellions of the Deep, Iron Men and Tin Fish, don't think you will be wasting your money on another book that will rehash what you already know. Ship Killer introduces history that were not addressed in either of those other texts.

This is a book I would strongly recommend to anyone interested in not only the history of torpedo development, but also in the history of torpedo policy in the US Navy.
Old 01-04-11, 08:25 PM   #2
vanjast
Sea Lord

Downloads: 783
Uploads: 4

ISBN number, and source of purchase ... please??
vanjast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-11, 08:36 PM   #3
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 0

ISBN 978-1-59114-688-9

I got this book as a gift so I think my father ordered it directly from the Naval Institute Press.

Amazon has it also as I would imagine Barns and Noble.
Old 01-05-11, 01:56 AM   #4
Randomizer
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Thanks for this, generally most works involving Norman Polmar can be counted on as reliable sources.

It's now on my "must have" list.

Tags
history, ship killer, torpedo