SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-08-23, 09:58 PM   #4141
Tabris
Gunner

Downloads: 171
Uploads: 0
Default U-Tanker fix: Type II and Type XXI

Hi all, I'm guessing this is the right place to ask this:

While I know it's wholly ahistorical, I'm looking to remove the limitation that forbids type II and XXI boats from resupplying at the U-tankers. Can anyone advise on how this may be done?

Thanks,
- Tabris
Tabris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-23, 07:27 AM   #4142
Kiane
Swabbie

Downloads: 25

Hello,

I had an ongoing discussion with several other Silent Hunter 3 fans for the OneAlex mod (it uses this patch, otherwise not relevant to the discussion), and while there were certainly a lot of disagreements, I was of the opinion that the 98% failure rate for shallow torpedoes in rough weather was too harsh. For example Kretschmer's U99 had 2 breached torpedoes in Dec 1940 in rough waters which impacted and detonated (one above the waterline, one below), and a third torpedo which was a bit deeper.

https://uboat.net/allies/merchants/ship/707.html

If you believed the 98% figure, then Kretschmer's shot was a .02 * .02 = 0.04% chance of occurring. I understand the argument of rough waters damaging the horizontal stabilizers, but I am skeptical of this 98% figure. Is there any way to reduce this from 98% to say 30%? I would find this more reasonable. In terms of the math provided in the documentation, this would be the 98% at D1 which linearly falls as depth approaches D2 (probability p0).

My query in picture from:
https://i.imgur.com/9HF1xTp.png

If there is no immediate setting for this, would anyone besides Hsie (I understand he is "retired") have the decompiled files so I could make the changes in code myself? (I have code experience).

Thank you in advance for any assistance!

Last edited by Kiane; 10-29-23 at 08:39 AM.
Kiane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-23, 09:43 AM   #4143
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 490
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiane View Post
Hello,

I had an ongoing discussion with several other Silent Hunter 3 fans for the OneAlex mod (it uses this patch, otherwise not relevant to the discussion), and while there were certainly a lot of disagreements, I was of the opinion that the 98% failure rate for shallow torpedoes in rough weather was too harsh. For example Kretschmer's U99 had 2 breached torpedoes in Dec 1940 in rough waters which impacted and detonated (one above the waterline, one below), and a third torpedo which was a bit deeper.

https://uboat.net/allies/merchants/ship/707.html

If you believed the 98% figure, then Kretschmer's shot was a .02 * .02 = 0.04% chance of occurring. I understand the argument of rough waters damaging the horizontal stabilizers, but I am skeptical of this 98% figure. Is there any way to reduce this from 98% to say 30%? I would find this more reasonable. In terms of the math provided in the documentation, this would be the 98% at D1 which linearly falls as depth approaches D2 (probability p0).

My query in picture from:
https://i.imgur.com/9HF1xTp.png

If there is no immediate setting for this, would anyone besides Hsie (I understand he is "retired") have the decompiled files so I could make the changes in code myself? (I have code experience).

Thank you in advance for any assistance!
When the H.sie patch is used, it creates a file in your install main directory called Hsie.ini
The "Torpedo Failure Fix" section is where this can be adjusted.
Old 10-29-23, 09:40 PM   #4144
Kiane
Swabbie

Downloads: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pancoast View Post
When the H.sie patch is used, it creates a file in your install main directory called Hsie.ini
The "Torpedo Failure Fix" section is where this can be adjusted.
Hello,

The Torpedo Failure Fix has the following:

;-----------------------------------------------------------------------
; Torpedo Failure Fix.
;---------------------
; Failure rates (assuming torpedo set to depth = 0.4*windspeed or deeper)
; Impact Pistol, until June 1940. Range: [0.00 - 0.99]. Default: 0.25
Val3=0.20
; Impact Pistol, June'40-June'42. Range: [0.00 - 0.99]. Default: 0.10
Val4=0.10
; Impact Pistol, after June 1942. Range: [0.00 - 0.99]. Default: 0.03
Val5=0.03
; Magnet Pistol, until June 1940. Range: [0.00 - 0.99]. Default: 0.15
Val6=0.25
; Magnet Pistol, June'40-June'42. Range: [0.00 - 0.99]. Default: 0.10
Val7=0.10
; Magnet Pistol, after June 1942. Range: [0.00 - 0.99]. Default: 0.02
Val8=0.02

This does not include the 98% chance of torpedo failure at D1, these failures are for the p0 chance at D2. Unless I am misunderstanding something here.

Thank you,
Kiane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-23, 06:32 AM   #4145
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 490

Quote:
Hello,

The Torpedo Failure Fix has the following:

; Torpedo Failure Fix.
;---------------------
; Failure rates (assuming torpedo set to depth = 0.4*windspeed or deeper)
; Impact Pistol, until June 1940. Range: [0.00 - 0.99]. Default: 0.25
Val3=0.20
; Impact Pistol, June'40-June'42. Range: [0.00 - 0.99]. Default: 0.10
Val4=0.10
; Impact Pistol, after June 1942. Range: [0.00 - 0.99]. Default: 0.03
Val5=0.03
; Magnet Pistol, until June 1940. Range: [0.00 - 0.99]. Default: 0.15
Val6=0.25
; Magnet Pistol, June'40-June'42. Range: [0.00 - 0.99]. Default: 0.10
Val7=0.10
; Magnet Pistol, after June 1942. Range: [0.00 - 0.99]. Default: 0.02
Val8=0.02

This does not include the 98% chance of torpedo failure at D1, these failures are for the p0 chance at D2. Unless I am misunderstanding something here.

Thank you,
Correct this is for only p0. D1 can't be changed except by your earlier idea. No idea where to get the files you want.

But if you do get them, also edit the wolfpack part so that there are more off the Iberian Peninsula as historically was the case, and that the North Atlantic ones occur more frequently.
Old 11-12-23, 07:38 AM   #4146
Hebe Vollmaus
Officer

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 1

Quote:
[8<--]
The decompiled files? May be done by youreself with a Disassembler. This makes sense to me only if your native motherlanguage is Assembler.

I thing you mean the Sources? Go grab these from hsie's website.
Link on end of 1st post in this thread. There you will find the "Assembler sources".

HTH.
Hebe Vollmaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-23, 10:33 AM   #4147
Mister_M
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 27

Strange that this 0.98 value can't be modified...
Mister_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-23, 08:34 PM   #4148
Fluffysheap
Bosun

Downloads: 8

Hi,
I've installed this patch version V16B1 and have found that the realistic repair times are not working correctly for me. What I experience is that, while it says on the damage control screen that repairs will take an hour or two, it actually only takes about five minutes. I have experienced this both times I took damage on my current career. I had a fully staffed damage control team including an officer, but I only assembled the damage control team after taking the damage.

Does anyone have ideas?

I know the patch is working somehow because obvious things like the fog, night vision, periscope, torpedo reload and radio message changes are working correctly.

My installed mods are:
GWX 3 Gold

GWX 16km Atmosphere
GWX Open Hatch Mod
GWX Enhanced Damage Effects
GWX Integrated Orders
GWX No Medals On Crew
TDW's Ship & Plane Fire Damage 1.4
h.sie Supplement to V16B1 (which I constructed according to the instructions)

Rubini's Lifeboats & Debris v4
SH3 Commander

Additionally I have deactivated a few h.sie options in the option selector: Snorkel speed limit, Oxygen supply, Wolfpack (and wolfpack without contact reports), torpedo failure, diesel damage.
Fluffysheap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-23, 11:34 PM   #4149
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome back!

Fluffysheap!...back on the surface after 12 years' 'silent running'!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-23, 10:01 AM   #4150
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffysheap View Post
Hi,
I've installed this patch version V16B1 and have found that the realistic repair times are not working correctly for me. What I experience is that, while it says on the damage control screen that repairs will take an hour or two, it actually only takes about five minutes. I have experienced this both times I took damage on my current career. I had a fully staffed damage control team including an officer, but I only assembled the damage control team after taking the damage.

Does anyone have ideas?

I know the patch is working somehow because obvious things like the fog, night vision, periscope, torpedo reload and radio message changes are working correctly.

My installed mods are:
GWX 3 Gold

GWX 16km Atmosphere
GWX Open Hatch Mod
GWX Enhanced Damage Effects
GWX Integrated Orders
GWX No Medals On Crew
TDW's Ship & Plane Fire Damage 1.4
h.sie Supplement to V16B1 (which I constructed according to the instructions)

Rubini's Lifeboats & Debris v4
SH3 Commander

Additionally I have deactivated a few h.sie options in the option selector: Snorkel speed limit, Oxygen supply, Wolfpack (and wolfpack without contact reports), torpedo failure, diesel damage.
Had you previously played the game, then modded the exe, then played again without emptying the Save game folder? If you did not empty "C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH3", then you might have a mish-mash of an unmodded and modded SH3 install. Emptying the Save folder will force the game to refresh with all-new data. You do lose any progress and game settings you have changed already, of course.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-23, 05:04 AM   #4151
Fluffysheap
Bosun

Downloads: 8

Yes, although completely clearing the data folder is not a requirement described in the documentation.

Is there a specific setting that needs to be reset? I don't see anything obvious, except for having realistic repair times enabled in the realism settings, which I do.

For what it's worth, the patch was installed before beginning the current career.
Fluffysheap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-23, 04:00 PM   #4152
vanjast
Sea Lord

Downloads: 783

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebe Vollmaus View Post
The decompiled files? May be done by youreself with a Disassembler. This makes sense to me only if your native motherlanguage is Assembler.

I thing you mean the Sources? Go grab these from hsie's website.
Link on end of 1st post in this thread. There you will find the "Assembler sources".

HTH.
I've done nothing but develop in Assembler.. (40+ years) but as for dis-assembling others high level (c+) mess... not interested.

But for those eager beaver to chase down the rabbit hole... this piece is handy.. Courtesy NSA too.
https://ghidra-sre.org/

You have to think.. If they're giving this away for free... I'll let you think about your PC/Phone security fantasies..

You remember that person that said.. "We have it all".
vanjast is offline   Reply With Quote