SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-30-20, 12:14 PM   #1
Spirit X
Swabbie

Downloads: 35
Uploads: 0
Default Looking for some recommendations from experienced players please...

I'm starting to get the hang of DW now and I'm aware that some mods make the game look a little nicer. However, I'm a little wary of using RA as my understanding is that it makes the game a fair bit more challenging...and I'm finding it plenty challenging enough for now.

I wondered if anyone could recommend any mods that will improve the visuals a bit without affecting the game too much?
Spirit X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-20, 02:21 PM   #2
A-Ganger
Sparky

Downloads: 13

You can always install RA and then play quick missions in easy mode until you get good at the game.
A-Ganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-20, 03:56 PM   #3
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 56

You can download the last LWAMI mod from here, just select Downloads from the top of this screen.

LWAMI makes some small changes (mostly to your sonar display) but also updates some of the ship models. The two "new" campaigns (Red Storm Rising and The Liu Doctrine) were written for the LWAMI mod.

One quick tip to installing DW mods- Make sure you are starting out with just the base game (and it works on its own). Also make sure your base game was patched to Ver 1.04 (most of newer DW downloads are already patched to 1.04 but check anyway). The install process is basically easy but there are a few tricks. Unzip the Mod folders/files to your DW install. Find the "install" program and click it, the install process should begin. MAKE SURE THE INSTALL PROGRAM RUNS FULLY. Mod installs for DW can take a while, even on a new computer (we're talking 5 to 8 minutes for the larger mods like LWAMI and RA).

One quick fix to improve graphics can be done by making some manual edits to the dangerouswaters.ini file. Check the recent posts and threads in these sub forums for more info, for the most part you'll want to change Graphics Mode to "3", avoid "Mode 4"- its always been unstable. You'll need to know how to do this manually if you use the d3d8.dll file to run the game.

Meanwhile, welcome to the game. Dangerous Waters can be frustrating to learn, but you can learn it without too much trouble.

Last edited by ET2SN; 06-15-20 at 04:07 PM.
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote