SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-17-20, 04:01 PM   #1
NiceSub
Torpedoman

Downloads: 66
Uploads: 0
Default Target plotting while moving

Hi All,

So I am wondering is there some good guide on how to plot targets on map if you are moving as well? For example I know how to take bearing and range multiple times to get speed and course of the target by plotting it on the map. but I am wondering how to do plotting if the sub is moving? All tutorials and guides for any plotting are if the sub is stationary which I don't believe it would be realistic to stop sub under water or above for 5 minutes every now and then to do plotting and observation. So yeah any good guide on this or what considerations to make if I am moving as well?
NiceSub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-20, 09:17 PM   #2
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceSub View Post
Hi All,

So I am wondering is there some good guide on how to plot targets on map if you are moving as well? For example I know how to take bearing and range multiple times to get speed and course of the target by plotting it on the map. but I am wondering how to do plotting if the sub is moving? All tutorials and guides for any plotting are if the sub is stationary which I don't believe it would be realistic to stop sub under water or above for 5 minutes every now and then to do plotting and observation. So yeah any good guide on this or what considerations to make if I am moving as well?

Are you using no map target updates? Do you have a mod that doesn't show ownship?

I normally will draw bearing lines from ownship out to the range of the target. Do it again a few minutes later, do it a third time a few more minutes later (you could do it every 3 minutes to get a direct estimate of speed or every 5 minutes and use a nomograph). You can then drawing a line of advance from first to last bearing/range to get the targets course.

If you are trying to do it while submerged, you can always take a look at the 4-bearing method - lots of plotting involved.
3catcircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-20, 12:05 AM   #3
Sean C
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 2

The Radar Navigation and Maneuvering Board Manual (Pub. 1310)

Select Chapter 6 - Maneuvering Board Manual and view or download.

You don't actually need a "maneuvering board", either. Graph paper (or even plain paper) will work just as well if you have a protractor & ruler. Many very complex maneuvering problems can be solved relatively easily this way.
Old 04-18-20, 07:59 AM   #4
NiceSub
Torpedoman

Downloads: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathaniel B. View Post
The Radar Navigation and Maneuvering Board Manual (Pub. 1310)

Select Chapter 6 - Maneuvering Board Manual and view or download.

You don't actually need a "maneuvering board", either. Graph paper (or even plain paper) will work just as well if you have a protractor & ruler. Many very complex maneuvering problems can be solved relatively easily this way.
Thank you, I think this helps and points to right direction. Will try some of the methods in game next time I spot a ship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3catcircus View Post
Are you using no map target updates? Do you have a mod that doesn't show ownship?

I normally will draw bearing lines from ownship out to the range of the target. Do it again a few minutes later, do it a third time a few more minutes later (you could do it every 3 minutes to get a direct estimate of speed or every 5 minutes and use a nomograph). You can then drawing a line of advance from first to last bearing/range to get the targets course.

If you are trying to do it while submerged, you can always take a look at the 4-bearing method - lots of plotting involved.
I play with map contacts off, the problem is if you move your ships while doing the measuring and drawing you need to take that in the account as well.
NiceSub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-20, 09:43 AM   #5
razark
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceSub View Post
I play with map contacts off, the problem is if you move your ships while doing the measuring and drawing you need to take that in the account as well.
Get your bearing and range, quickly switch to the map and pause the game while you draw it out.

Sure, it's not "realistic", but neither is having the captain jump between radar, hydrophones, periscope, and chart table doing every bit of it himself.
Old 04-18-20, 01:45 PM   #6
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

This one can help you I think, I use it in all SH series, it's called the 4-bearing method, also doable when your sub is moving, in fact for the last bearing assessment you have to move your sub. Use it with hydrophone bearings in regular time intervalls.

https://ricojansen.nl/downloads/Sonar_Tracking.pdf

XS
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-20, 03:39 PM   #7
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Same method by original person to introduce it at subsim.com: Kuikeg:
http://ricojansen.nl/downloads/the_f...%2CKuikueg.pdf

Same method, different writer explaining it: http://ricojansen.nl/downloads/Four_...2C%20Neuro.pdf

Earlier 4-bearing moving method by Kuikeg:
http://ricojansen.nl/downloads/four_...%2CKuikueg.pdf