SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-31-20, 12:47 PM   #661
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130
Uploads: 0

Tried in SH3 and had to launch the SH3 exe 2 times.
But the Game did start.
Old 03-31-20, 05:44 PM   #662
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

2x @ KeleunMarco: That earlier post should have said "could NOT see the flames"... flying fingers of fickle keyboard flicking... As for the cursor, I have never seen that. In situations such as that, the handy-dandy, cell fone is the only thing I know of that can "capture" the cursor. I would be tempted to look into the Windows mouse settings, though I know of no easy way to get what you are describing for the cursor. If your computer just did a new Windows Update (mine did), that may have done something.

@ Moonlight: that oversight was corrected a couple of weeks ago. I don't know how we lost the rock, but we did. The issue with it is that it is not "visible" in the 3D world until your are inside 3200 yards, and not fully visible until roughly 2800 (on my computer). Somewhat like the docks in the game. But at least there is a marker on the NavMap again. I was going to keep it under my hat, and see if anyone noticed after the next update... lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
On patrol west of Savo...
... This is probably a byproduct of the manner in which defensive torpedo launches are generated, and I do not consider it a flaw, per se. Sort of like planes that drop torpedoes, something was "borrowed" to add to the realism. Pretty cool actually to see the torpedoes shooting out and splashing into the sea.

One other thing, all 3 of the Wildcats were shot down. The crews were in rafts with the pink flare marking their positions. I was able to approach and rescue all 3 crews (getting pretty good at that one, at least in fairly calm seas), but though it felt good to save the crews, there is no credit for a successful rescue. Perhaps one day that can change? There is often some risk in surfacing to pick up survivors. I guess the satisfaction of a job well done is enough for now.

Good Hunting!
"By-product" is a good term for that. I witnessed that several times when testing the airplanes recently. This is another reason I say that an airplane in SH4 is nothing but an upside-down submarine, that "flies" in the sky (such as it it), as opposed to the submarine that "flies" in the water (such as it is). As for rescuing the pilots, I have developed a "kludge" that works - usually. Trying to clean it up, and it definitely needs more testing. The problem comes in when a "Rescue Pilot" objective has not been set. If we make every mission have a secondary "Rescue Pilot", some skippers might panic if they don't rescue ~somebody~... Attempts have also been made at "rescuing" a Japanese survivor. Unfortunately, the game does not allow that, and making them a "friendly" that looks like a Japanese survivor makes it entirely too easy to pick them up - besides the "where did this guy come from?" problem... ah well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrians69 View Post
Just north west of Manila, came across a convoy of 2 BBs and numerous destroyers and assorted merchants. Sent a contact report and got orders back not to engage but break contact and carry out my original orders, other forces will be vectored in to attack Never seen this happen before, but it certainly adds variety to the proceedings!
It takes a while, but we are getting those DynamicMiss files tweaked into better trim, though there is still more we could try... We have a couple of add-in missions we might throw in, after we get things settled down a bit better.

@ fitzcarraldo: We would definitely appreciate it if you share your findings here also. I had Reshader working with FotRSU, but did not like the results I was getting, and gave up after about a half-dozen attempts.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-20, 06:09 PM   #663
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
2x @ KeleunMarco: That earlier post should have said "could NOT see the flames"... flying fingers of fickle keyboard flicking... As for the cursor, I have never seen that. In situations such as that, the handy-dandy, cell fone is the only thing I know of that can "capture" the cursor. I would be tempted to look into the Windows mouse settings, though I know of no easy way to get what you are describing for the cursor. If your computer just did a new Windows Update (mine did), that may have done something.
last Win10 update was 3/13. Cumulative. whatever that means.
squirrelly stuff like this just pisses me off.
i am a computer scientist by training and by nature but i do not chase technology. i set it and leave. i have not made any system-related changes in months.
actually, that's not true. i just realized that i installed a new version of wireless keyboard & mouse. the new unit is the same mfr as the old one but i wonder if something fundamental changed.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-20, 11:35 AM   #664
Profesor SchnuffSchnoff
Swabbie

Downloads: 25

Awesome Mod!!!! Thank you guys!!!!

Maybe it's a stupid question, but is there a way to keep the stop watch visible all the time???
Profesor SchnuffSchnoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-20, 12:04 PM   #665
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
last Win10 update was 3/13. Cumulative. whatever that means.
squirrelly stuff like this just pisses me off.
i am a computer scientist by training and by nature but i do not chase technology. i set it and leave. i have not made any system-related changes in months.
actually, that's not true. i just realized that i installed a new version of wireless keyboard & mouse. the new unit is the same mfr as the old one but i wonder if something fundamental changed.
The new mouse could be it, if it installed software or changed your settings. btw, Windows 10 does what it wants, when it wants, and if it wants to change your settings - for anything - it will. Every time I so much as sneeze at the laptop (ewww...!!!) it changes things. Of course, I have more than SH4 as a "legacy" app, with over half of what I have older that 2010... I do not recall what the borderline for considering something "legacy" anymore is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profesor SchnuffSchnoff View Post
Awesome Mod!!!! Thank you guys!!!!

Maybe it's a stupid question, but is there a way to keep the stop watch visible all the time???
The Team thanks you for your thanks! The clocks in the game are somewhat strange. I'm sure we could tweak a setting to have it stay on top all of the time, but it does not have a universal setting for all screen resolutions, and would be in the way of some people's view of the screen. Consulting the "SH4_Q-Ref_Card_Front.jpg" in the game's root folder for the short-cuts, you'll see that the stop watch can be brought up with a press of the <C> key. It will remember where you place it (usually), until you exit the game.

Old 04-02-20, 05:37 AM   #666
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 114
Uploads: 18

Just read in lockwoods book that a sub, tresher by millican, got the 5inch gun from v3 in 1943 in Australia, is that possible ingame?

Got post 666 yeah!

keltos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-20, 07:45 AM   #667
hauangua
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1328

Quote:
Originally Posted by keltos01 View Post
Just read in lockwoods book that a sub, tresher by millican, got the 5inch gun from v3 in 1943 in Australia, is that possible ingame?

Got post 666 yeah!
Ciao keitos hope can help

"Thresher’s 11th war patrol (this one under command of Duncan C. MacMillan, Class of 1926[18]) took her to the South China Sea south of Formosa. While cruising on the surface on 10 January 1944, Thresher sighted a pair of masts, low on the horizon, and quickly dove to avoid possible detection. Coming to periscope depth soon thereafter, she approached cautiously, keeping in mind the ship may have been the advance screen of a convoy. The contact proved to be a 150-ton trawler. Thresher battle-surfaced, commencing fire at 6,000 yards (5,500 m); the trawler sank after Thresher expended 45 5 inches (130 mm) shells, 1,000 rounds of ; and 770 20 millimetres (0.79 in) rounds". (wikipedia)

Last edited by hauangua; 04-02-20 at 08:56 AM.
hauangua is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-20, 12:24 PM   #668
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Downloads: 527
Uploads: 5

Quick question:

If you already have FotRS installed, can you delete the save games folder and still play or do you have to completely uninstall?

I'm not very active on the forums anymore. If you have a question, please DM me and I'll respond ASAP!
Texas Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-20, 02:20 PM   #669
zeus
Lieutenant

Downloads: 953

a question

the climate in campaign changes very little. I installed the megamod and little change in the weather. Is it a bug?
zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-20, 04:36 PM   #670
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Downloads: 527
Uploads: 5

As far as I can tell for me, depending on where you go in the map, the weather changes according to climate.
The weather changes a lot, I bet, while I'm viewing the map time compressing.
I think that when you are not time compressing, you don't see the weather change that much.

I'm not very active on the forums anymore. If you have a question, please DM me and I'll respond ASAP!
Texas Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-20, 12:18 PM   #671
mikesn9
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 68
Default Guages at 12 O'Clock high info

the findings;
FOTRSU v1.004.a.
Tambor boat out of Midway 3rd patrol (actual patrol.)
Had orders to Area 4 standby. Arrived, got sink & destroy anywhere orders.
Hung around the mouth of the bay and picked up 13,000 tons.
Got orders to go to area 4 Sink & destroy for 5 days. (already in zone)

Saved game after getting the new orders. (May 23, 1942) all was OK.
patrolled around for 2 days looking for targets. Did 1 save on May 24, another save on May 25.
Had enough fun for 1 day, exited to main menu, then to windows (Win7 64bit)

Came back the next day:

Loaded from May 25.. gauges at 12 O clock high.
Back to main menu, loaded May 24 gauges at 12 O clock high
Back to main menu, loaded May 23 all ok

I don't know if it's been noted before, but the gauges on the bottom right were always pointing correctly. Gauges in control room are the problem

I spent the cold war under water.
mikesn9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-20, 06:49 PM   #672
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by keltos01 View Post

Got post 666 yeah!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hauangua View Post
Ciao keitos hope can help

"Thresher’s 11th war patrol (this one under command of Duncan C. MacMillan, Class of 1926[18]) took her to the South China Sea south of Formosa. While cruising on the surface on 10 January 1944, Thresher sighted a pair of masts, low on the horizon, and quickly dove to avoid possible detection. Coming to periscope depth soon thereafter, she approached cautiously, keeping in mind the ship may have been the advance screen of a convoy. The contact proved to be a 150-ton trawler. Thresher battle-surfaced, commencing fire at 6,000 yards (5,500 m); the trawler sank after Thresher expended 45 5 inches (130 mm) shells, 1,000 rounds of ; and 770 20 millimetres (0.79 in) rounds". (wikipedia)
We'll give it a shot, if I don't run out of time in this @#$% set of campaign files... The ME keeps changing things on me, and my eyes are changing things on me, and the raccoons that got in the attic and didn't want to leave upset me, and besides, the sun got in my eyes!... but we'll give it a go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the beast View Post
Quick question:

If you already have FotRS installed, can you delete the save games folder and still play or do you have to completely uninstall?
I do not understand your question the beast... The mod is applied by JSGME of course, and if you want to go back to stock, or do a different mod, you have to use JSGME to de-activate FotRSU and then activate the new mod (or not, if doing Stock) ~and~ empty the Save folder. The game runs quite a bit off of the Save game folder, so any change in JSGME will often also require an emptying of the Save folder... ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus View Post
a question

the climate in campaign changes very little. I installed the megamod and little change in the weather. Is it a bug?
The mod makes no changes to the "weather", so it is like in Stock and most other mods, as the beast mentions, along with TC influencing it. Another of the things about the weather that we must remember, is that it is influenced by a few things, such as if you Save the game, when you reload your Save, the weather "counter" will re-set. In other words, if it started storming several hours ago and you Save the game, when you re-enter the game through that Save, it will be like the storm just started, and you'll have to wait the whole cycle to count all over again before the game "rolls the dice" to attempt to apply another chance of a weather change. Just like flipping coins, there is a chance that it might not hit a "change" every time the weather change time comes along. Damage Repairs to your sub are similar, in that, if it takes five hours to repair a devicde on your sub after a depth charge attack, and you then Save and exit at 4:59 and then Save and exit, when you next start that game with that Save, you will have to wait five hours for the repair to be completed. Also, do not "shell-out" to Windows by use of the <Alt><Tab> or <Ctrl><Tab> key combinations, or any of the <Windows> key combinations, to do other things on your computer. SH4 is an old game and expects "static" addresses for the Windows resources it uses, such as the video and audio streams, and when you take the focus off of SH4.exe, Windows can and does re-assign those resources for the app (or desktop) you went to. When you come back to the game, it will at time have several issues, with stuck weather being one of them, but you might also see the CO2 gauge stuck and you crew asphyxiating, or other anomalies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesn9 View Post
the findings;
FOTRSU v1.004.a.
Tambor boat out of Midway 3rd patrol (actual patrol.)
Had orders to Area 4 standby. Arrived, got sink & destroy anywhere orders.
Hung around the mouth of the bay and picked up 13,000 tons.
Got orders to go to area 4 Sink & destroy for 5 days. (already in zone)

Saved game after getting the new orders. (May 23, 1942) all was OK.
patrolled around for 2 days looking for targets. Did 1 save on May 24, another save on May 25.
Had enough fun for 1 day, exited to main menu, then to windows (Win7 64bit)

Came back the next day:

Loaded from May 25.. gauges at 12 O clock high.
Back to main menu, loaded May 24 gauges at 12 O clock high
Back to main menu, loaded May 23 all ok

I don't know if it's been noted before, but the gauges on the bottom right were always pointing correctly. Gauges in control room are the problem
You are the first to report the same from Midway - but as Blue the dog says: "A clue! A clue!" Actually, I suppose it's actually Steve (Joe?? Josh??) that says it... Thanks

Old 04-04-20, 08:02 AM   #673
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Default Swarms of Planes

Props, when you run out of things to do (DON'T SHOOT!) I found a couple of areas where the planes spawn with ferocity.

12-05-1942 (16:57). NW end of Guadalcanal in GAR or SALMON- US planes are spawning (presumably from Henderson Field) and then crashing into the mountains before reaching the NW end of the island. I counted at least 30 crash sites, P-40's, SBD's and one that looked suspiciously like a P-47. Had not witnessed this before. The effect is to slow TC to 8 each time one crashes. All I was trying to do was get through the day so I could intercept the IJN replenishment columns.

Next was on 01/23/44 (2200) just off Truk, in Balao. I was about 5 miles outside the reef WSW of the last group of islands in the atoll. The Planes were spawning in droves just east of the islands and heading towards the center port. They just kept coming, so I headed SW to try to get out of the area. The farther out I went, the farther towards me came the spawn site! I finally had to dive and wait until the next day until I was far enough away to avoid the "action". However, planes were now coming from Truk directly SW towards me. I let one get close enough to identify before crash diving. I had assumed they were US planes on a carrier raid on Truk. No, the ones heading my way were all Japanese.

So, in your copious free time you may wish to consider looking into these.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-20, 08:41 AM   #674
propbeanie

There really should be no US planes out of Henderson Field from Guadalcanal (Cactus), since the US did not land on the island until August. How close were you to Guadalcanal?... I wonder if one of the other airfields is doing that (Port Moresby??)? We used to have troubles with B-24s doing that in earlier releases. As for 1944, there should not be that many Japanese planes coming out of Truk... These are very important issues, due to the impact on gameplay, besides the inaccuracy in real life. What type of plane was that you ID'd off of Truk? Operation Hailstone was still a month away, so it is not a response to that.

Old 04-04-20, 09:46 AM   #675
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
There really should be no US planes out of Henderson Field from Guadalcanal (Cactus), since the US did not land on the island until August. How close were you to Guadalcanal?... I wonder if one of the other airfields is doing that (Port Moresby??)? We used to have troubles with B-24s doing that in earlier releases. As for 1944, there should not be that many Japanese planes coming out of Truk... These are very important issues, due to the impact on gameplay, besides the inaccuracy in real life. What type of plane was that you ID'd off of Truk? Operation Hailstone was still a month away, so it is not a response to that.
uh, henderson field opened for business about a week after the marines landed in early august 1942.
i believe the game establishes an airfield in september 1942.
so, it is entirely normal for torpedobait to see us air assets in december 1942.
as far as the aircraft crashing is concerned, i suspect that it has to do with the parameters defined for the aircraft/squadron. for example, if the aircraft has a defined air envelope of 500-1000 ft and is following a flight path that includes mountains that exceed that altitude, well....
unfortunately, i do not know where the squadron/aircraft definitions are hiding in SH4, otherwise i would look them up for you.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote