SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-22-20, 04:55 AM   #1
Sokolov
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Can i use sh5 shaders for sh4?

Looking for different enviroment mods for sh4, i thought about to use shaders from sh5. Shaders folders similar, so i asked a question, what i can use from sh5 graphics to achieve best result in sh4?
Old 05-28-20, 05:25 PM   #2
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297
Uploads: 0

Seconded, I am also interested in doing this. It hasn't worked for me yet; I copied over SH5 shaders and I ended up getting a bright white environment that was very ugly. I guess I'll keep experimenting when I get the time. If I manage to get SH5 shaders to work properly I will make sure to let you know, Sokolov.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-20, 10:50 PM   #3
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Well, I've started to mix and match different shaders in between other work on my World War I mod. It looks like you can get SH5 shaders to work. I have gotten the SH4 water to imitate some aspects of SH5 water. However, it will take a lot of trial and error to make a high quality environmental mod. So far, the end result of adding SH5 water to SH4 does not look as good as the best SH4 environmental mods.

My main problems right now are:

1) how to get a more rippled effect to the surface water

2) how to get the little flecks of surface light to reflect from a greater area on the water

3) Not related to shaders, but how to get sea foam at a lower sea state
Old 06-12-20, 08:27 PM   #4
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

OK; I did a little more work dumping SH5 shaders and filters into SH4. After trial and error, you can get a working environment setup with SH5 shaders but personally I don't like the look. The reflected sunlight and object surfaces have a blue tint that doesn't look very good. I know how to alter this coloration, but the end result is an environment that doesn't look as good as the existing environmental mods for SH4.

Furthermore, the lack of sea foam at low windspeeds seems to be hardcoded for SH4. Again, this keeps SH5 files from looking good in the SH4 engine. To summarize, it all seems to be more trouble than it's worth; I would recommend continuing to develop the existing SH4 environmental mods (and of course getting permission from the creators if you want to release something).
Old 06-13-20, 02:05 AM   #5
Sokolov
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Well, i don't use sh5 shaders for now, but use filters from sh5, i don't know is it help. Still can't get faultless picture. But if we get real mechanics of that, the water surface have greyish unlighted surface if you look to the side, where the sun, and it have colored (sky colors) surface if you look to other side. What shaders you managed to use without glitches? Clouds shaders for me could not be applied.