SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-22-20, 01:47 PM   #421
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491
Uploads: 0

SHO Re: Fifi & SH4 troubles reinstalling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi View Post
Sorry mate but doesn’t work!
Win7 compatibility and DPI scaling —-> still the damn red window!
To quote Tim Allen in the movie ''Galaxyquest"

Never give up, never surrender...

Hope you get a means to figure out what is going on.. to date, not having any issues running SH4.. and I have like 4 copies of it, 3 of which are modded out, with the 4th waiting for the IJN mega mod that as far as I know of, is still being worked on for release, last I saw on it.

I think I saw something of a Brit mega mod add on for SH4, if I recall that right.

Just out of curiosity... what is your base or means of installing SH4 from... Steam, Ubisoft-screw, disk...???

With that info, might come a means of figuring out why you're running into issues now with reinstalling it.. couldn't hurt, yanno.
Old 05-22-20, 03:37 PM   #422
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
To quote Tim Allen in the movie ''Galaxyquest"

Never give up, never surrender...

Hope you get a means to figure out what is going on.. to date, not having any issues running SH4.. and I have like 4 copies of it, 3 of which are modded out, with the 4th waiting for the IJN mega mod that as far as I know of, is still being worked on for release, last I saw on it.

I think I saw something of a Brit mega mod add on for SH4, if I recall that right.

Just out of curiosity... what is your base or means of installing SH4 from... Steam, Ubisoft-screw, disk...???

With that info, might come a means of figuring out why you're running into issues now with reinstalling it.. couldn't hurt, yanno.

Disc install.
Even fresh copy from old computer (that works) doesn’t start.
Never seen that ever. Had plenty SH4 copy on old computer without any troubles.
That is coming from new windows 10 on latest rig.
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-20, 10:01 PM   #423
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

SHO Re: Fifi & SH4 troubles reinstalling...

Quote:
Disc install.
Even fresh copy from old computer (that works) doesn’t start.
Never seen that ever. Had plenty SH4 copy on old computer without any troubles.
That is coming from new windows 10 on latest rig.

Ok, with a disk install, the 1st thing that would come to mind is... Did you ensure in uninstalling SH4, that by chance.. after making sure to have gotten rid of the save game folder for it, that you ran CCleaner.? (you did run CCleaner, or something similar... yes...?)

Did you avoid the install, installing into the dreaded \program files - \program files (x86) area.?

If yes, then the only other thing that would come to mind, is to go over & remember if you followed the most notable important aspects of the install process... did you set SH4 up for running in compatible mode, of Win 7/8/8.1 (depending on the set up you have with Windows on that old rig.. did you set the SH4.exe up for being ran as admin... after all was set up with mods, did you then add in pointing out to L.A.A (if you use it & as I understand it, it should be, again to the best of My knowledge...) where the SH4 & the SH4.exe was installed/located.?

I know Fifi, that as what I know of you, thus far.. is that you are pretty much what I like to refer as... old hat to all this... but I ask for your forbearance on My asking these of you.. for often times the problem might well be sitting right there dead in front of us, in plain sight & give us a Homer Simpson ''D'oh.!'' moment...

I know 1st hand, numerous times of having them ''D'oh'' moments *chuckles*... so I trust you'll bear with My asking you these questions... it never hurts to look at everything from a critical, clinical, analytical & questioning line of process, if you will... as the venerable Detective, Sherlock Holmes was often quoted as saying, as it were that is.. when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth or in this case, the solution.

This adage, holds very much true.

Edit add to the post:

Crap... 1 thing that came to mind.. something I recall reading or seeing, where.. don't recall that but.. importantly.. seem to recall some having issues with games, running them after doing a disk install.. and if they did NOT have the disk in the CD/DVD tray.. then the game would NOT run fer chit... don't know if that would be applicable here or NOT.. but, as I said, it is something that came to mind, after I posted this...

Last edited by Mad Mardigan; 05-22-20 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Adding in a question, I only thought of.. after posting this post...
Mad Mardigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-20, 12:51 AM   #424
Fifi
Navy Seal

Thank you Mad Mardigan, but yes i tried all you said.
Didn’t had to use Ccleaner on this windows because it’s brand new and SH4 never been installed.
About the CD to run it, i never had to keep it to run the game. I think my CD version is already star force free...anyway, if CD was required, it would be not my red window saying the application has been blocked, would be the window saying please insert the CD!
Well, I’m now guessing it’s coming from my own windows 10 version and/or from an damn update...but wich one? Hard to say.
Again, if i want to run Dark Water, i still have my Noisy old rig...maybe one day I’ll find out the issue by some chance!
Old 05-23-20, 01:38 AM   #425
Lansetti
Swabbie

Downloads: 33

Quote:
Have great trouble reinstalling SH4 on my new Windows...first attempt failed.
There is something that blocks the SH4.exe from running (not antivirus)
Beginning going mad
When Ive been installing modded sh4 on different rigs with win10 I have to run the first time with "Run 640x480 screen resolution" ticked. After that one start it works normal.
Lansetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-20, 06:26 AM   #426
Fifi
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lansetti View Post
When Ive been installing modded sh4 on different rigs with win10 I have to run the first time with "Run 640x480 screen resolution" ticked. After that one start it works normal.
Ticked where? I can’t access the main screen as nothing start!
Old 05-23-20, 01:22 PM   #427
lockheedliang
Watch

Downloads: 35

Anyone encountering a Charcoal ship?

By charcoal ship I mean a ship that is whole dark with just the exception of its turrets. My latest encounter with it was a KGV in Scapa Flow at the end of 1940.

I know this is not unique since in stock OM there were charcoal Huge European Liner at Liverpool flying American flag, which made me think that the charcoal colour was intentionally so to indicate its neuturality. But now the charcoal KGV is just telling its nature as a bug, a tiny one though.

Wondering if anyone has encountered this and whether there could be any possible fix.

Dont mean to picky, I mean even without, this is still the most enjoyable mod I have played this far and it alone has made me felt that year 2020 isnt that terribly bad. haha
lockheedliang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-20, 03:20 PM   #428
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

lockheedliang, do you have the LAA set on your SH4.exe file so that Windows recognizes it as Large Address Aware? Did you empty the Save folder (C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4) prior to playing OpMonsun?

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-20, 02:56 AM   #429
Lansetti
Swabbie

Downloads: 33

Quote:
Ticked where? I can’t access the main screen as nothing start!
https://imgur.com/a/XwZIqv1
Lansetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-20, 03:07 AM   #430
Sokolov
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Strange, i have DarkWaters v. 6, and after i installed OMEGU environment without some no needed stuff, becouse i like more original OMEGU. But i have the problem - seafoor visible trough water surface, it's like water too clear, that is not real for my opinion. First, i thought that deal in scene.dat file, but not, i checked. Almost all files in my OMEGU equal that in the game (stock + DarkWaters, and i can't find the solution - what file cause this, or how i can fix it?
Old 05-24-20, 03:22 AM   #431
Sokolov
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I think the deal with shaders, it's different... in clouds folder, but is there are the way to make make water less clear?
Old 05-24-20, 04:13 AM   #432
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

SHO Re: Re: Fifi & SH4 troubles reinstalling... Pt. 2...

Quote:
Thank you Mad Mardigan, but yes i tried all you said.
Didn’t had to use Ccleaner on this windows because it’s brand new and SH4 never been installed.
About the CD to run it, i never had to keep it to run the game. I think my CD version is already star force free...anyway, if CD was required, it would be not my red window saying the application has been blocked, would be the window saying please insert the CD!
Well, I’m now guessing it’s coming from my own windows 10 version and/or from an damn update...but wich one? Hard to say.
Again, if i want to run Dark Water, i still have my Noisy old rig...maybe one day I’ll find out the issue by some chance!
Dang, welp.. as they say, back to the ol' drawing board..

What Win 10 version & build is in the computer that you're running into troubles running SH4 on, by chance.?

Mine is Win 10 Pro, build 1909 & thus far, it's as up to date as is possible... minus those pesky optional update offerings.. I avoid them, like the plague..

I do have the official officiated updates on a 2 week lock-down just to have time to take a wait & see if there is any bugs & such that crop up, not to mention if issues are found to see what Microscrew.. erhm, sorrry.. Microsoft's response is to them.

I may, at a later time, make that lock-down & bump it up to a 4 week or monthly hold off, but so far 2 weeks has worked out thus far.

Ok, if you haven't tried this already, see of doing a dump, clean, restart & do a reinstall... this time with a twist.

The twist... unplug access to the interwebz, & shut off the anti virus protection grid... before doing the reinstall... sounds crazy, I know.. but as with the issue with trying to run a game & not being able to without having said disk in the tray (which has already been eliminated as a possible cause) I seem to recall others having problems caused by their anti virus protection.

For some dumb stupid reason, the virus killer program/s, would mistakenly tag some part of a disk install, as a potential virus & trash some parts of the install into quarantine

I know that some , even when told to 'shut down' as it were, to avoid it causing issues, also read somewhere, just not the when & where of it, would often keep running in the background & scream home to mama, as it were aka the maker of said virus protection programming... & mama re-turning the virus protection back on & NOT inform you of that occurring.

Hence, why I mentioned of making sure to shut that down & disconnect access to the web, before doing the reinstall attempt, to rule this out as a possible cause of the works getting bollixed.

Outside of this, if this idea doesn't do the trick, after that then I am going to be sitting here, really scratching My head, confused as to what could be causing all this problems with getting SH4 after install to run as it should... and will be out of ideas, for possible solutions.

Old 05-24-20, 05:33 AM   #433
lockheedliang
Watch

Downloads: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
lockheedliang, do you have the LAA set on your SH4.exe file so that Windows recognizes it as Large Address Aware? Did you empty the Save folder (C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4) prior to playing OpMonsun?
Actually I was using something called 4gb patch, thinking that it would work in the same way. Now I will do it again in the proper way with LAA
lockheedliang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-20, 08:42 AM   #434
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

The 4gig patch does do the same thing, so you should be fine. Do you have a 64-bit Windows?

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-20, 11:39 AM   #435
Randomizer
Watch Officer

Downloads: 131

In my Dark Waters installation, the chronometer fails to appear. It matters not at all which U-Jagd mod is activated or not.

I suspect that it is actually there but because I cannot use DW at its intended resolution, it is off the screen or behind the interface. This is the case with the message box, only a tiny portion is actually visible but enough that I can select it and drag it where it needs to be. Likewise the time/date info is offset and in an awkward location but I can happily live with it as is.

What I cannot live without is a chronometer.

What line in the menu_1024_768.ini will move the chronometer into the centre of the display?

Thank you in advance.

-C
Randomizer is offline   Reply With Quote