SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-28-20, 11:33 AM   #451
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by WH4K View Post
What is going on with the very odd ship names?
For example, "KS-M-KS-M-F-M-KS-M Merchant".
It's both tagged that way in the periscope/UBT view, and shown as such in the recognition manual.
Some other merchants have weird names like this too, for example tankers (similar alphabet soup).
Been digging through all the files that came with the mod, but I haven't found this explained anywhere (yet).
you won't find an explanation anywhere.
i believe this naming convention is a hold-over from previous release of SH.
what version of Dark Water are you playing? i ask because i have Version 6 and the ship names (classes) have been cleaned up.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-20, 11:45 AM   #452
WH4K
Frogman

Downloads: 56
Uploads: 0

I am using Version 6.
Old 05-28-20, 12:19 PM   #453
Levyathan89
Soundman

Downloads: 49

Ok I think I've just sumbled upon a bug. I wanted to make another video and started a Type-IX C-Career. Shortly after leaving Lorient (maybe some 500 km away) I clicked on the "show maximum range" button and at 10 kts, the maximum range was only about 13.000 km which is way too low for a Type IX C. I went back to main menu, started a new career in a Type IX C, went to 10 kts, clicked on show maximum range, and then the max range was about 27.000 km, as it should be. Is that a known issue?
Levyathan89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-20, 12:31 PM   #454
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levyathan89 View Post
Ok I think I've just sumbled upon a bug. I wanted to make another video and started a Type-IX C-Career. Shortly after leaving Lorient (maybe some 500 km away) I clicked on the "show maximum range" button and at 10 kts, the maximum range was only about 13.000 km which is way too low for a Type IX C. I went back to main menu, started a new career in a Type IX C, went to 10 kts, clicked on show maximum range, and then the max range was about 27.000 km, as it should be. Is that a known issue?
Never heard of this one...
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-20, 12:34 PM   #455
sonicninja
Watch Officer

Downloads: 936

Quote:
I am using Version 6.
I'm using V6 and I have the ships listed by K-M-S etc, I don't mind it as i think it offers an extra challenge and once you know what the letters stand for its actually quite satisfying when you ID a ship without the recognition manual as it was a genuine method during the war
sonicninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-20, 12:36 PM   #456
Fifi
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicninja View Post
I'm using V6 and I have the ships listed by K-M-S etc, I don't mind it as i think it offers an extra challenge and once you know what the letters stand for its actually quite satisfying when you ID a ship without the recognition manual as it was a genuine method during the war
Old 05-28-20, 01:01 PM   #457
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz Klum View Post
... However, I chose the training flotilla at the war start, and after completing the 2nd training mission, it says I should transfer to a battle flotilla, but when I go to hit the transfer button, it says no transfers available?...
All mods in SH3 and SH4 have troubles with training flotillas, due to the way the "flotillas" and "days in base" are structured, in conjunction with the way a mission is assigned to a submarine. As such, if you take too long to do a given training mission, it throws everything afterwards "out of time", sort of like the timing chain in your vehicle slipped a notch or two, and now you are getting ignition mis-fires. Similar can happen if you are just too good at the training and complete the training too early. Now your next assignment doesn't get assigned until a certain date, and you are probably a day or two (at the least) out in front of the transfer. There is nothing preventing you though, from stopping at a base somewhere to get fuel and load-up with more torpedoes, and take it upon yourself to go "hunting", either in the Baltic, or the North Sea for a few days while you "kill some time"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi View Post
Didn’t work either...still red windows this application has been blocked...
I think my computer is purely crap.
Can’t understand why it is running SH3 very fine but SH4! Both from disc...
Someone else had similar happen Fifi, and I am unable to find the post. It had to do with a portion of the Windows Defender, not in the virus section, but like the malware section... I think it is Microsoft trying to eliminate all of us old dawgs from playing "legacy" games... lol

Quote:
I am using Version 6.
As has been pointed out by several other users here, the naming convention is actually rather descriptive. Look at that picture from the ONI manual again, and notice that "M" stands for "Mast", "K" stands for "Kingpost", "S" is "Superstructure", or just "Structure", while "F" is funnel". It describes the ship from front to back, or bow-to-stern. Generally, the "longer" the name like that, the longer the ship is in meter length, and after a while, you don't even need to look in the rec manual. You'll just go "Oh, 9 letters, so it is about 190 meters in length!"... and if you do 90 attacks, even that isn't important. ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levyathan89 View Post
It has been "discovered" (again recently) that all of those little "helpful" buttons are not really so helpful after all. There is something wrong with the internal math that the games uses to determine the estimated mileage. Also found to be "wanting" is the "Time to course end". I have no clue how many hours in the day they are using, but it seems like it is twenty hours one time, then 42 hours the next. Not to be trusted. However, some players (myself included) will pawn that off to "the fog of war". You just never knew when you would have a HORS engine break on you, so it mattered little what the math equations were based upon... Might be a reason they were left out of the stock game...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicninja View Post
Exactly!

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-20, 05:17 PM   #458
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
I am using Version 6.
Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
As has been pointed out by several other users here, the naming convention is actually rather descriptive. Look at that picture from the ONI manual again, and notice that "M" stands for "Mast", "K" stands for "Kingpost", "S" is "Superstructure", or just "Structure", while "F" is funnel". It describes the ship from front to back, or bow-to-stern. Generally, the "longer" the name like that, the longer the ship is in meter length, and after a while, you don't even need to look in the rec manual. You'll just go "Oh, 9 letters, so it is about 190 meters in length!"... and if you do 90 attacks, even that isn't important. ??
Mr. WH4K,

i "fixed" this issue in a previous release of Dark Waters (for my install) however i cannot find my notes at the present time.
i believe i had to discover which set of letters (KMQZMK-OU812) went with which ship. i believe i used the \Sea\Shipname.CFG and Roster\names.cfg. but this is from memory and i only have an 8k memory module. i'll look a bit deeper for my notes if you're serious about changing the names.

LAA enabled
Old 05-28-20, 06:32 PM   #459
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Compare the Sea cfg to the Roster cfg to the Roster / Names.cfg...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-20, 11:21 PM   #460
mazzi
Mate

Downloads: 551

Quote:
Didn’t work either...still red windows this application has been blocked...
I think my computer is purely crap.
Can’t understand why it is running SH3 very fine but SH4! Both from disc...
On the C: \ or E: \ drive, does the game sh4 also not work?
mazzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-20, 08:39 AM   #461
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO

Quote:
This is the damn window nothing could break:

Ok, after reading this.. and just to let it be known.. am NOT conversant in Frenchie... unless ye count escargot, parle vous francais, non... oui & nom deguire. After that, might as well be russian.. as I wouldn't know the difference Long story short, I used google translate & not 100% sure if they did a slap bang up 100% job at translation, but it was close enough for government work, any way...

This is what I got back in translation:

" " User account control

This app has been blocked for your protection.

An administrator has denied you the execution of this application. Contact the administrator for more information. " "

From this, have to ask the question... On your computer, first off... you are the only user... Oui.?
If Oui, then some how, your computer has taken over serious control of your admin rights some how.. leading to this happening.

Two things come to mind...

1. See of doing what Levyathan89 suggested, in the post right after the 1 of yours that I quoted here.. that's first off...

" I had the exact same problem when I installed SH4 the last time. The game could only be started when I activated the hidden Windows 10 administrator account, which is not a very viable solution. Anyway, after a simple re-installation of SH4 (into a folder other than program files (x86)), the problem didn't occur anymore. "

2.Try 1 of the suggestions from Google, that I got back when I did a search for:
https://www.google.com/search?client...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

This is of course, and hopefully having guessed right, that you are the only 1 using that computer that's gotten a bit high handed in telling you NO, you can't & won't run this game on ME... Vive Le France.! Vive Le Résistance.! Vive la France Vive la Résistance.!

. If that fails to solve the issue... the only other recourse I can think of... which leads to the last, but a definitive scorched earth strategy...

3. This scorched earth policy, would be to gut the Op system by doing a recovery push...... which saves all else, other than the Operating System & re-installs that or do a serious scorched earth policy, gut everything & just have the computer do a fresh install of it... end result, fresh 1st time restart up, only downside is having to reinstall other programs & such you installed after having got the computer.

Either option, is gonna sting in the fact that it will take some time to complete... painful, Oui I know.

On this rig I'm on right now, I had something that My fuzzballs did (not sure when & definitely NOT sure of HOW... still to this day, I don't know... ) end result.. I had to do a hard reset aka fresh reinstall of Win 10, and I have the Pro edition of it. No idea what version of Win 10 you have...

So... there you have it. I'd go with doing # 1, first off & see if that don't fix the issue. # 2 if #1 fails to readjust your computers attitude about your gaming habits & it giving up being a microchip Adolf... and if both option 1 & 2 fail.. well.. there's always the scorched earth procedure... painful, but a sure fire methodology to wresting control back from Sky Net...

Just know again, that if it comes down to Option # 3, I feel ya pain, Fifi.. I really do.

Hoping for the best for ya..

Md Mardigan... erhm.. dammit Jim, I'm a sailor, not a bloody country doctor... *wipes tears of laughter away* Ok.. now, to bloody well correct this snafu...

Mad Mardigan

Last edited by Mad Mardigan; 05-30-20 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Edit to My own moniker... dammit Jim, I'm a sailor... not a bloody country doctor... lol
Mad Mardigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-20, 10:14 AM   #462
WH4K
Frogman

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
you won't find an explanation anywhere.
i believe this naming convention is a hold-over from previous release of SH.
what version of Dark Water are you playing? i ask because i have Version 6 and the ship names (classes) have been cleaned up.
By the way, even though the .7z file I downloaded says I have v6.7, and JGSME recognizes DW/OM as v6, the title screen says v5.
Old 05-30-20, 11:08 AM   #463
Fifi
Navy Seal

Quote:
By the way, even though the .7z file I downloaded says I have v6.7, and JGSME recognizes DW/OM as v6, the title screen says v5.
It’s known, don’t worry, i have just forgotten to update latest screen image...
The first post link is V6 even though you see V5 on screen! Sorry...
Old 05-31-20, 02:30 PM   #464
WH4K
Frogman

Is there a written & illustrated guide to the German fire control equipment/TDC, anywhere, preferably .pdf format? It seems as if the SH4 U-boat add-on came with no such documentation. I have searched both this forum and elsewhere.
Old 05-31-20, 02:34 PM   #465
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Is there a written & illustrated guide to the German fire control equipment/TDC, anywhere, preferably .pdf format? It seems as if the SH4 U-boat add-on came with no such documentation. I have searched both this forum and elsewhere.
german uboats were not designed with a real TDC as the US subs were. here is bit more information on the German system.
http://www.tvre.org/en/torpedo-fire-...german-u-boats

LAA enabled