Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-23-20, 05:14 PM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default Lithiboom!

https://langa.com/index.php/2020/05/...m-ion-battery/

I try to be early. I store my two 500 Ah bicycle batteries in an original, used military ammo box cal 7.62 when they are not in use, I also never store them with more than 50% charge. With half their load it still is a lot of energy (500 instead of 1000 Ah). I have no idea whether the box will help anythign if one of the batteries should turn grumpy. I store them in a place away from the household with all that easily burning stuff.

I store other, smaller lithium batteries (for camera, telephone for exmaple) again in thick metal boxes with sturdy sealing.
Old 05-23-20, 05:31 PM   #2
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Are they stored tight together or do you have something between each battery, like plastic or are each of them in some plastic cylinder/other shape ?

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-20, 07:36 PM   #3
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
Are they stored tight together or do you have something between each battery, like plastic or are each of them in some plastic cylinder/other shape ?

Markus
Just a little paperbag with Silica gel, to protect the electronics and contacts from moisture. Although the batterypack should be sealed in itself, I mean you can drive e-bikes in rain, and I did.

2.5 kg.

Plastic will not do anything to contain a Lithium fire. I hope these would hold, but I am not certain about the temperature caused by Lithium fire.

Lithium fires in these batteries while they are not in use maybe could be casued by a shortcut or malfunctioning in the battery management system. If the thermal runway gets going, such a fire cannot be extinguished with water or some of the normal fire extinguishers, but by suffocating it. thats why the thick and sealed box: to keep oxygerne away, whioch is a method. However, the danger can last on. When a Tesla'S batteries burnt here in Germany some longer tiem agao, the fire fighters were not sure how to safely kill the fire, so they broguht a big tank with water and put the car in and under water completely. It was left inside for three days until Tesla told them how to proceedf in these cases. I did not know whether to laugh or to yell when I red that. I think it was early last year. Also, smartphones have been known in some instances to just go up in flames all by themselves. Pressure and punctuations, impacts are things that Lithium batteries do not like. They always include battery management electronics, and like every electronic circuitry, these can break down. Stuff happens. And then the result might be a battery heating up and then going off. Houses and appartments have gone up in flames, just from a smartphone lying around on a table. Pockets in trousers as well - Samsung can sing a samsung song of this. Or Boeing and its B767 battery problems. Lithium batteries simply are chemically not as stable as traditional monocells (and even these could burn up suddenly, they just do so much more rarely than Lithium batteries.) They try to keep Lithium risks under control by experimenting with different separator materials that separate the electrolytes from each other.

Last edited by Skybird; 05-23-20 at 07:54 PM.
Skybird is online   Reply With Quote