SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-22-20, 04:16 PM   #1
Capt Codetrucker
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Navigation Outside Of Silent Hunter Software

Hello Skippers,

Note: I am posting in this board, this thread would apply to any SH (I think?). Also, I have done extensive searching on the following without any substantive success. If I had, I would not have posted this thread, eh?
Maybe I'm not using the right search terms?

First, is it possible to only use SH without ever looking at the map and only use external tools like, Encarta, Google Earth, Stellarium, paper & pencil, etc.? Seems this would only work if the SH Map was an accurate representation. Is it? Assuming the SH Map is accurate, then it makes sense this could be done.

I have been searching the forums for weeks and have not yet been successful at making any of the "Real Navigation"-ish mods work with my Steam installations. If anyone knows of any fixes for SH Steam, please advise.

Okay, here is my premise, but I guess the only way to determine if it has merit is to just leave harbor and try it, right? So, that is what I will do, but if anyone can suggest any guidance I have no problem not reinventing the wheel.

I will be posting to this thread as a log of my voyage from Pearl Harbor to Midway. Wish me luck!

Last edited by Capt Codetrucker; 09-22-20 at 04:28 PM.
Old 09-22-20, 04:48 PM   #2
Capt Codetrucker
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

10 Dec '41 0706
Exiting berth at Pearl Harbor. Cruising to Barber's Point (SW point of Oahu).

Since this is a navigation test, there will be no enemy engagement.

Last edited by Capt Codetrucker; 09-22-20 at 05:57 PM.
Old 09-22-20, 06:09 PM   #3
Capt Codetrucker
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

10 Dec '41 0734

256° @ 15kts

Exited harbor entrance to starboard. Next check at Barber's Point.

Last edited by Capt Codetrucker; 09-22-20 at 06:20 PM.
Old 09-22-20, 06:45 PM   #4
Capt Codetrucker
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

10 Dec '41 0808
294° 15kts
Wx partly cloudy. Wnd spd unknown, est. WNW.
At Barber's Point turned to starboard toward Kaua'i Island 84nm. ETA in 5:36 = 13:44
No sound contacts.

Last edited by Capt Codetrucker; 09-22-20 at 10:16 PM.
Old 09-22-20, 08:57 PM   #5
Capt Codetrucker
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

10 Dec '41 1344
294° All Stop
Arrived at predetermined position just SW of Kaua'i, but no island seen.
No sound contacts.

Notes...
This is not expected since Kaua'i Island about 20nm in breadth and over 2,900' in elevation. Inspection of the SH Map shows Kaua'i Island is there, but sub is still 11nm ESE of island. I would expect to have seen it by now.

SOG = 13kts (86%)

Either the knots shown in SH are not true nautical miles or there has been a current or wind against our progress.

Last edited by Capt Codetrucker; 09-22-20 at 10:16 PM.
Old 09-22-20, 09:08 PM   #6
Capt Codetrucker
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

10 Dec '41 1430
271° 13kts
Peak of Kaua'i visible at 1430.
Beach first spotted 1504.
Proceeding to turning point skirting S of Kaua'i. The intent is to pass between it and the neighboring Ni'ihau.
No sound contacts.

Last edited by Capt Codetrucker; 09-22-20 at 10:14 PM.
Old 09-22-20, 09:13 PM   #7
Capt Codetrucker
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

10 Dec '41 1543
224° 13kts
Clearing haze reveals more southwesterly heading is neccessary.
Ni'ihau Island is 26nm. ETA 2:00 = 1743.No sound contacts.

An additional heading change to 290°-ish will be needed within the hour. We are hoping to pass the northern tip of Ni'ihau before nightfall to establish bearing for the dark hours.
°

Last edited by Capt Codetrucker; 09-22-20 at 10:49 PM.
Old 09-22-20, 11:27 PM   #8
Capt Codetrucker
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

10 Dec '41 1608
315° 13kts
Wx partly cloudy. Haze. Wnd spd unknown, est. WNW.
Ni'ihau finally appeared in the distance of of the haze. This bearing can be held until dawn.
No sound contact
°
Old 03-05-21, 10:09 PM   #9
Pilot_76
Chief

Downloads: 427
Uploads: 0

There is a utility to use pyhton software to read your save games either directly or via network (to not interrupt your patrol). It converts SH sub position and when you load Stellarium the date and sub's location will be already loaded. Just take your "sextant" readings there then it is up to you to use Cel nav software that accepts 1930-40's range or do it yourself. I am still trying to find but it is here in Subsim. Of course there is also a utility to replace your sub's with a transparent one as to not reveal your true location on the map. Some SH you can "cheat" by pressing spacebar so the map will centered on the sub.
Pilot_76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-21, 03:01 AM   #10
Capt Codetrucker
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot_76 View Post
There is a utility to use pyhton software to read your save games either directly or via network (to not interrupt your patrol). It converts SH sub position and when you load Stellarium the date and sub's location will be already loaded.....
Thank you. I found it and am modding the Python script to match my custom install of SH4 to work with Stellarium.

FYI - Once I get the script working correctly, I will be attempting to mod copies of the script to use with SH3, SH5 (I hope), FSX (yes, FSX can be used as a ship/sub sim), Sailaway (sailing sim), and Virtual Sailor/Vehicle Simulator. Essentially, I should be able to adapt the script to work as long as the app produces lat/lon text coordinates I can manipulate.

Stay tuned to this thread for developments and voyage log. One caveat is I may take a long while, so don't expect quick work.
Old 03-15-21, 03:21 AM   #11
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Codetrucker View Post
FYI - Once I get the script working correctly, I will be attempting to mod copies of the script to use with SH3, SH5 (I hope), FSX (yes, FSX can be used as a ship/sub sim), Sailaway (sailing sim), and Virtual Sailor/Vehicle Simulator. Essentially, I should be able to adapt the script to work as long as the app produces lat/lon text coordinates I can manipulate.
Hi, thought this thread might be of use/interest to you:

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=246847

This is Alpheratz's thread and youtube videos on something similar in SH5, using celestial navigation to plot course in game.
kapuhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-21, 11:23 AM   #12
Pilot_76
Chief

Quote:
Thank you. I found it and am modding the Python script to match my custom install of SH4 to work with Stellarium.

Stay tuned to this thread for developments and voyage log. One caveat is I may take a long while, so don't expect quick work.

Please make your modifications on python available. Including the other Sims as well. I'm a big fan of Navigation without gps [emoji1783]. Sh3-5 using steam, fsx etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-16-21, 11:48 AM   #13
Capt Codetrucker
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapuhy View Post
Hi, thought this thread might be of use/interest to you:

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=246847

This is Alpheratz's thread and youtube videos on something similar in SH5, using celestial navigation to plot course in game.

Than you, kindly!
Old 03-16-21, 11:51 AM   #14
Capt Codetrucker
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot_76 View Post
Please make your modifications on python available. Including the other Sims as well. I'm a big fan of Navigation without gps [emoji1783]. Sh3-5 using steam, fsx etc.

I will be happy to do it. I actually had it all working perfectly in SH4 and was going to start on SH3, but clobbered the files without realizing I had not backed them up. Live and learn, eh?
Old 03-16-21, 04:47 PM   #15
Pilot_76
Chief

Quote:
I will be happy to do it. I actually had it all working perfectly in SH4 and was going to start on SH3, but clobbered the files without realizing I had not backed them up. Live and learn, eh?

Oh that sucks [emoji51][emoji51]. I once lost a save game with a campaign. No time compression. Imagine my loss[emoji24].

Question: Is Steam's SH3-4 so different that you must modifiy the python script?