SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-20-21, 06:09 PM   #1
BK
Swabbie

Downloads: 143
Uploads: 0
Default Should I Get Silent Hunter 4 Steam version?

I am thinking of getting into SH4
BK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-21, 04:25 AM   #2
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK View Post
I am thinking of getting into SH4
Yeah, you can...

Just 1 word of caution.. Steam does have 2 copies of SH4 & they are radically different...

If you want to run any mods like FotRS-UE or Operation Monsun: Dark Waters, it is important to make sure you grabbed the right 1 of those 2

1 of them is tagged as v1.4 (which is just straight up only U.S. Fleetboat) useable with mods that are 'earmarked' as being used ONLY by that SH4 version...

the 2nd, is tagged as v1,5 (This version, makes it so that you CAN skipper Uboats in the Pacific) & is required if you want to run FotRS or OP. Monsun: Dark. Those mega mods only work with this version... (& am not sure, but Bubblehead can answer if it is or not, but it may be very much needed to be that version, if you want to try out his updated TMO mod they are working on... )

Hope this info helps...

M. M.

Old 03-21-21, 05:46 PM   #3
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 241

You could also probably get a non steam digital download with v1.5 from Amazon.com.
3catcircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-21, 10:46 AM   #4
1Patriotofmany
Commander

Downloads: 92

Steam version works fine with FOTRS and IJN
1Patriotofmany is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-21, 11:35 AM   #5
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

I don't know where you are, but in the US, you can't argue with $2.50 for Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific - DLC, which is the UPlay / UConnect version of the old "Gold Edition" DVD disks.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-21, 04:15 PM   #6
Rova
Swabbie

Downloads: 169

I have used the Steam version for many years and have had no problems in running the base game or with mods.
Old 04-03-21, 04:18 PM   #7
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome back!

Rova! nice silent run!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-21, 07:58 PM   #8
Arlo
The Old Man

Downloads: 214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rova View Post
I have used the Steam version for many years and have had no problems in running the base game or with mods.
How would one go about installing a mod for the steam version. I originally installed the game with the default steam location. I have since (just now) uninstalled then reinstalled it in a new folder (named 'games') on my external hard drive (D) but I've noticed it still refers to steam (I'd rather play it offline). I can finally see folders, however. I seem to remember there was a mods folder then I had the CD version. My memory's hazy. Perhaps it was JGSME that created a "mod' folder?

Thanks, in advance. I was having fun with vanilla 1.5 but the Dutch fisherman's cap and other fine details missing (I played TMO) are pet peeves.

Arlo (aka) Matt T. Sherman

Last edited by Arlo; 04-05-21 at 11:32 AM.
Arlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-21, 02:13 PM   #9
Rova
Swabbie

Downloads: 169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlo View Post
How would one go about installing a mod for the steam version. I originally installed the game with the default steam location. I have since (just now) uninstalled then reinstalled it in a new folder (named 'games') on my external hard drive (D) but I've noticed it still refers to steam (I'd rather play it offline). I can finally see folders, however. I seem to remember there was a mods folder then I had the CD version. My memory's hazy. Perhaps it was JGSME that created a "mod' folder?

Thanks, in advance. I was having fun with vanilla 1.5 but the Dutch fisherman's cap and other fine details missing (I played TMO) are pet peeves.

Arlo (aka) Matt T. Sherman

You are correct, a MODS folder is where all mods should be placed and then activated by way of JSGME (JSGME will create the MODS folder if it does not already exist). Make sure to install JSGME in your main SH4 folder. As for Steam, it can be run in offline mode...there is an option to "Go Offline" located in the upper left corner of the Steam client. I believe that this option still requres you to run the Steam client, however you do not need to be connected to the internet. I don't run in Offline mode so I'm not 100% sure on that one. Hope this info helps.

Last edited by Rova; 04-05-21 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Typo
Rova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-21, 03:44 PM   #10
Arlo
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rova View Post
You are correct, a MODS folder is where all mods should be placed and then activated by way of JSGME (JSGME will create the MODS folder if it does not already exist). Make sure to install JSGME in your main SH4 folder. As for Steam, it can be run in offline mode...there is an option to "Go Offline" located in the upper left corner of the Steam client. I believe that this option still requres you to run the Steam client, however you do not need to be connected to the internet. I don't run in Offline mode so I'm not 100% sure on that one. Hope this info helps.
Thank you! I will be giving this all a try.
Old 04-05-21, 09:38 PM   #11
Arlo
The Old Man

Default Ah, memories

It works! Thank you, again, Rova!

Arlo/Matt Sherman

Last edited by Arlo; 04-05-21 at 11:23 PM.
Arlo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
silent hunter 4