SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-12-07, 02:28 AM   #1
joegrundman
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 34
Uploads: 0
Default [REL]U-jagd tools mod 1.3

This is a mod that introduces historical tools for plotting and data gathering.

Version 1.3 now available!

Version 1.3 is the final version of the U-jagd mod, although if necessary a patch may be released.

Versions available
U-jagd tools mod 1.3 for Stock SH3
U-jagd tools mod 1.3 for NYGM
U-jagd tools mod 1.3 DIY kit for stock SH3
U-jagd tools mod 1.3 for GWX2.0
U-jagd tools mod 1.3 DIY kit for GWX 2.0

ALL VERSIONS AVAILABLE FROM

http://hosted.filefront.com/joegrundman/

For GWX 1.03, either use U-jagd 1.2, or use the GWX 2.0 DIY kit.

Use the DIY kits if you have any of the mods based on dials.cfg or menu_1024_768 installed. If you try the non DIY kit first and JSMGE tells you there is a clash with another mod, then you will probably have to either choose one or the other mod, or else use the DIY kit to combine the mods yourself.

Changes in U-jagd 1.3

-Added a three wheel circular slide rule, modeled on the speed omnimeter of the American SACF converted for metric distances, and coloured to keep the Kriegsmarine flavour. This is a slideout tool attached to the weapon officer.
-Added a Vorhalt arm to the attack disk.
-Some other minor graphical improvements to the attack disk.
-Bearing indicator arm on attack disk may now be used directly, so side panel of U-jagd1.1 and 1.2 has been removed as obsolete.
-Attack disk moved to new location on the Navigation officer for reduced intrusiveness. Thanks to The Bad Wolf for the idea!
-New AOB finder with increased accuracy, precision and a wider field of vision through it.
-Added AOB finder to the Observation scope.
-Added marks on AOB finders for alternative target speed measurement, thanks to Pisces for the idea.
-moved the compass bearing indicator in the scope to take advantage of the greater field of vision.
-New U-jagd Stoppuhr with increased accuracy, and a new background courtesy of Dimitrius07.
-Optional new Stoppuhr to include scale for 75m targets.
-New reticule markings to permit manual height measurement.
-Reduced the brightness of the periscope reticule markings to avoid dazzle at night.
-Included Pdf guide to attack disk and circular slide rule by klh. Many thanks.
-Included guide to Lead Angle (vorhalt) slide rule calculation by Hitman.
-Updated manual.

NOTE: This mod is not the same as the excellent OLC_GUI mod. Although that mod contains the older U-jagd tools 1.0, it is a complete GUI overhaul that includes many,many other features. The U-jagd 1.3 mod is ONLY the tools. No other changes have been made and all original functionality is unaltered.

This mod has been the work of joegrundman, Hitman and from about halfway through the project Onelifecrisis. Hitman has an encyclopaedic knowledge of all things U-boat and it was his interest that led me to the idea of trying to incorporate the tools in-game. Onelifecrisis’ distinctly superior understanding of how the menu file works and remarkable propensity for lateral thinking enabled this product to reach you in a far more polished state than it otherwise would have. Thanks U-jagd team!

We also thank Kpt. Lehmann for permission and support with elements involving adaptation to GWX. Neil Stevens for running the fantastic Subsim.com that has provided a perfect space for such a fertile and friendly community to develop.We’d also like to thank Ubisoft and the Silent Hunter developers for building such a fantastic product and making it so moddable that the simulation has become a hobby rather a game.
Additionally I’d like to thank the forerunners in modding the menu and dials files, Jonz with his ubiquitous draggable chrono which we have taken the liberty of adapting for this game, and also FLB Sale U-99 whose work on producing periscope TDC dials helped me to understand the workings of the files enough to get going.
Lastly, I'd like to thank my wife, Abigail for aesthetic judgements, trigonometrical assistance, German language help and patience beyond all human endurance.

First is U-jagd Stoppuhr, used for estimating speed based on the fixed wire method.

Next is the Zielkurswinkel Rad, or AOB finder

Next is the Angriffsscheibe, or Attack disk, which helps solve the problem of target course, ideal submarine courses for a 90 degree shot, and also for general plotting. Can also be used to conduct a WW1 style attack to simulate the effects of TDC failure.

Finally the circular slide rule, modelled on the Speed Omnimeter of the USN SACF, but converted for metric distances

"Enemy submarines are to be called U-Boats. The term submarine is to be reserved for Allied under water vessels. U-Boats are those dastardly villains who sink our ships, while submarines are those gallant and noble craft which sink theirs." Winston Churchill

Last edited by joegrundman; 01-17-08 at 07:20 PM. Reason: update
joegrundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-07, 02:29 AM   #2
joegrundman
Ocean Warrior

Get it from the filefront in my sig

EDIT! Something i forgot to mention! I included the well known firebutton fix. To fire torpedoes you now need to press ctrl+enter, not just enter. I always implement this first thing otherwise my 20 month old daughter fires off all my eels!

Gute jagd!

Joe
"Enemy submarines are to be called U-Boats. The term submarine is to be reserved for Allied under water vessels. U-Boats are those dastardly villains who sink our ships, while submarines are those gallant and noble craft which sink theirs." Winston Churchill

Last edited by joegrundman; 10-12-07 at 02:42 AM.
Old 10-12-07, 03:06 AM   #3
Kaleu_Mihoo
Medic

Downloads: 66
Thats absolutely stunning!
Thank you VERY MUCH for your hard work! Thats one of THE mods
Old 10-12-07, 03:32 AM   #4
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

It's an amazing job by Joe and OLC, I'm proud of having been able to collaborate with them

One precision to the user manual: For fixed line speed measuring with the U-jagd chrono, the manual tells you to reduce speed as much as possible. That's correct, but precision is improved even more if you set your heading to the enemy ship whose speed you are measuring. That will ensure your "fixed wire" (The vertical line of the scope crosshair) moves less when compared to the target, and doesn't influence the result.

Happy hunting everyone
Old 10-12-07, 05:13 AM   #5
coronas
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 39

Don't forget NYGM 2.6 version, please! Great work!
coronas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-07, 05:22 AM   #6
Kar
Seaman

Downloads: 1

Absolutely stunning
But I have small problem Can someone make (video) tutorial how to use this ?
Kar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-07, 05:33 AM   #7
EZeemering
Mate

Downloads: 0

Damn this is what I was waiting for!!! Ill await the GWX release and hope Ill get some time soon to play SH3 again, I desperatly need to go hunting again!!
EZeemering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-07, 06:11 AM   #8
Uber Gruber
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

WOW....i've been waiting for these, thankyou modding god like type people. Now I just have to ring the girlfriend and cancel our romantic dinner this eve
Old 10-13-07, 09:28 AM   #9
u.Prestige
Loader

Downloads: 30

@joegrundman:
I spent several hours to combine this mod and "Racerboy's HUD for milkman" together, it seems to be a success but there are 2 problems remained.
1, How to use the 45 degree line in the AOB finder tool?
2, U-Jagd tools worked fine with "Racerboy's HUD for milkman", but the Attack Disc slides with the rudder big dial and its position was too high. How to fix it?

Last edited by u.Prestige; 10-13-07 at 09:42 AM.
u.Prestige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-07, 11:10 AM   #10
joegrundman
Ocean Warrior

@u.Prestige

thanks for your questions!

The first question tells me that the manual is not adequately clear.

The answer is that reticule markings are there to help you measure the length of the target. You can either just count the horizontal markings that the target covers, or else you can lock the target and using the up/down cursor keys move the target until one end of it just touches the diagonal line. At this point read off the number.

The number on the diagonal line is basically a repeat of the horizontal markings, but doubled. This is because when you lock onto a target, the lock is focused on the center, therefore you just need to measure out from one side and double it to get a length reading. The diagonal scale is already doubled so you can just read off the correct optical length.

The second issue is more complicated.

I am not familiar with this mod, but I am guessing taht the 6-dials have been replaced with larger slideout dials.

The reason it slides out with the rudder is that i attached it to the rudder page in order to avoid slideouts. Such a large object sliding out can become a nuisance, so attaching it to the rudder page felt to be a better approach. I wasn't really thinking about the consequences of attaching it to a slideout rudder dial when i did it.

So the best solution is to ask you where you would like it to be. If you are happy for it to slide out with the rudder, then the issue is one of repositioning. If you can post a screenshot I can advise the necessary edit to have it in a usable positioni

Good luck

joe
Old 10-13-07, 11:16 AM   #11
looney
Commodore

Downloads: 43

I downloaded it, looks grat.

Is is GWX compatible?
looney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-07, 11:18 AM   #12
joegrundman
Ocean Warrior

@looney

no it isn't sorry. It's set for the periscope zoom of x6, not the x10 of GWX. Expect a GWX version early next week

joe
Old 10-13-07, 01:24 PM   #13
coronas
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 39

I'm confused , sorry. Is it NGYM compatible? Or do you make a NGYM compatible version? Thanks in advance.
coronas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-07, 02:10 PM   #14
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

It's currently only for stock SH3 1.4

In the near future there will be a GWX compatible version, and also a NYGM (Joe is finishing it and we need also to request permission to Teddy Bear and Stiebler)
Old 10-13-07, 02:21 PM   #15
Mast
XO

Downloads: 49
This IS excellent work! Thank you!

Mast
Mast is offline   Reply With Quote