SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-25-12, 10:03 AM   #6436
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Downloads: 115
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbuna View Post
Oh I reckon Jeff knows it was in reference to post #6435
Without a doubt!

www.thegreywolves.com
All you need is good men. - Heinrich Lehmann-Willenbrock
Kpt. Lehmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-12, 10:14 AM   #6437
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpt. Lehmann View Post
Without a doubt!
I'm just a little surprised he never responded to the original

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-12, 03:46 PM   #6438
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbuna View Post
The guide is in the Documentation folder of both Stock and GWX in English and German languages.

Smart guy
Well I don't have any Games on the new system yet so couldn't check.

AND you did give him the info.

AND YES! I was being a Smart Arse in a friendly way.
Old 09-28-12, 04:25 PM   #6439
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by privateer View Post
Well I don't have any Games on the new system yet so couldn't check.

AND you did give him the info.

AND YES! I was being a Smart Arse in a friendly way.
Rgr that mate

Old 09-28-12, 04:29 PM   #6440
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Now to order that tee shirt.
Old 09-28-12, 04:44 PM   #6441
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by privateer View Post
Now to order that tee shirt.

Old 10-12-12, 10:53 PM   #6442
Stubudd
Watch

Downloads: 9
I have some experience with mods, but it was a long time ago. I'm wondering if this mod or any others are compatible with steam's version of SH3? Thanks for any advice.
Stubudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-12, 05:43 AM   #6443
TabbyHunter
Ensign

Downloads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubudd View Post
I have some experience with mods, but it was a long time ago. I'm wondering if this mod or any others are compatible with steam's version of SH3? Thanks for any advice.

I don't know about steam, but I downloaded SH3 from Gamefly and GWX works wonders with it.
TabbyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-12, 12:11 PM   #6444
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168

Quote:
You can use GWX with the Steam version, but the GWX installer will look for the game folder in the default location - where it would be if you had installed the game from a game disk. You will need to point the installer to the game folder inside your Steam folder instead.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-12, 12:41 PM   #6445
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Enjoy the GWXperience

Old 10-23-12, 01:32 PM   #6446
*Starwolf*
Watch

Downloads: 17

First of all, congratulations to the creators of the mod, very good job!

I want to ask you a pair of questions that made me think about my GWX installation:

1 - On the manual it is written that my career will start with 1500 renown points, but I started a new career recently and I have the classical 500 points.

2 - If I press F1 during the game, the info under the "Resupply" tab are blank, and so are "Flotilla News I" and "Flotilla News II". Also the tab "Enemies of Germany" includes more infos about some hotkeys of the game. Is it normal?
Old 10-23-12, 02:58 PM   #6447
Heathengel
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Hi!

Congratulations for an amazing mod! I really both admire and appreciate the work done, I hadn't played SH3 for sometime, and this mod made me return to it and live a totally new experience.

I have some questions though, that I'll put one at a time. Please excuse my English, it's a foreign language and I occasionally make mistakes

The first, has to do with the damage of shell hits. There is a reason that U-boat commanders preferred high explosive over AP shells. Being a member of a "naval" family myself, one of my first memories as a child is my father asking me what is the greatest hazard for a ship out in the open sea; he would then proceed to provide me with the answer: Fire!

It is quite easy for a catastrophic fire to start on a merchant vessel, even with today's extreme safety regulations and measures. In the era of WW2, it was a lot easier, and a factor that would multiply the catastrophic impact of fires was the fact that a lot of wood (much more than today) was often used in many parts of the ship. There wasn't a way to avoid the sinking of a ship with an uncontrollable fire on board, in fact most shipwrecks I think happened this way.

I wanted to ask fellow skippers here in the forum, from their experience and knowledge, how is fire damage simulated in the mod? I red in the manual about below-the-water-line hits, that they are considered the most effective, since they rupture the hull and initiate a flooding, but wouldn't in fact an HE shell exploding on the deck or the superstructure be as efficient, because of the high probability of starting a fire? A flooding can be "isolated" using watertight doors (not always, of course), containing a fire is impossible this way.

Also, if anyone knows of any good sites with historical information on the subject, I'd appreciate if he or she could share

Thanks!
Old 10-23-12, 03:16 PM   #6448
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

WELCOME ABOARD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathengel View Post
The first, has to do with the damage of shell hits. There is a reason that U-boat commanders preferred high explosive over AP shells. Being a member of a "naval" family myself, one of my first memories as a child is my father asking me what is the greatest hazard for a ship out in the open sea; he would then proceed to provide me with the answer: Fire!
As a former destroyer sailor myself, I have to completely agree with your father. Fire is a sailor's worst nightmare. In boot camp we all had to train to fight fires, and we once had a fire in the steering room of my ship. We didn't hear about it until afterward; all we knew was that we were ordered to General Quarters in the middle of the night. We weren't told why.

Oh, and GWX takes away all the AP shells and leaves you only HE.

Quote:
...how is fire damage simulated in the mod?
Terribly. Fire in the game is eye-candy only.

Quote:
I red in the manual about below-the-water-line hits, that they are considered the most effective, since they rupture the hull and initiate a flooding, but wouldn't in fact an HE shell exploding on the deck or the superstructure be as efficient, because of the high probability of starting a fire? A flooding can be "isolated" using watertight doors (not always, of course), containing a fire is impossible this way.
Unfortunately even HE shells don't always start fires, and a 3.46" (8.8cm) shell doesn't do a whole lot of damage to compartments or cargo. Fires in the game are exagerrated. A merchant ship doesn't have much compartmentation, most of it being open cargo holds, so punching holes in the waterline is the best way to go, in the game or in real life.

Quote:
Also, if anyone knows of any good sites with historical information on the subject, I'd appreciate if he or she could share
Not a lot of information available online, most of it being found in books, but you will find a lot of general information here:
http://www.uboat.net/index.html
http://www.uboatarchive.net/
http://www.ubootwaffe.net/
Old 10-23-12, 03:20 PM   #6449
Heathengel
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Thank you very much for the prompt and illuminating answer, Sailor Steve!

I'm now going through the links you posted
Old 10-23-12, 04:03 PM   #6450
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathengel View Post
Hi!

Congratulations for an amazing mod! I really both admire and appreciate the work done, I hadn't played SH3 for sometime, and this mod made me return to it and live a totally new experience.

I have some questions though, that I'll put one at a time. Please excuse my English, it's a foreign language and I occasionally make mistakes

It is quite easy for a catastrophic fire to start on a merchant vessel, even with today's extreme safety regulations and measures. In the era of WW2, it was a lot easier, and a factor that would multiply the catastrophic impact of fires was the fact that a lot of wood (much more than today) was often used in many parts of the ship. There wasn't a way to avoid the sinking of a ship with an uncontrollable fire on board, in fact most shipwrecks I think happened this way.

I wanted to ask fellow skippers here in the forum, from their experience and knowledge, how is fire damage simulated in the mod? I red in the manual about below-the-water-line hits, that they are considered the most effective, since they rupture the hull and initiate a flooding, but wouldn't in fact an HE shell exploding on the deck or the superstructure be as efficient, because of the high probability of starting a fire? A flooding can be "isolated" using watertight doors (not always, of course), containing a fire is impossible this way.

Thanks!
Welcome to SubSim Heathengel....just one small point if I may....

Fire damage actually erodes/erases damage points from the zon.file in GWX and adds to the rate of sinking. This was addressed in GWX2.1 and is down to the fine work of VonHershing (and I bet I've got the name/spelling wrong)