SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-18-20, 08:08 AM   #1
Col7777
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 222
Uploads: 0
Default Land Units and Buildings

I have seen this mentioned before somewhere in a thread.

I recently have been playing as a ship for a change, good fun so far.
Anyway in a patrol I was close to an enemy harbour, on closer inspection on the map there were a few ships there so I went closer.
My ship was firing long range and hitting the ships and destroying them one by one. Also I went on the external camera to watch the action in the harbour, a lot of my shells were hitting buildings, but as you know nothing happens, I was thinking what a shame it would have been a real spectacle seeing those go up in flames as well.

Also I was being shelled by some land units, again hitting those does nothing, luckily none got me, after I sank the harbour ships I turned and left quick, but what a shame these other objects can't be made to be destroyed.

I'm remember back in SH2 years ago this was brought up, I purposely shelled some buildings and got them to smoke but it took a lot of shelling.

Col.

Silent and Violent
Col7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-20, 11:19 AM   #2
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

A submarine was never meant to destroy land units or buildings, this happened in Poland during invasion...but fired from warships with heavy canons (*). It's already a miracle that a mod can achieve that you play with a ship, but if buildings were destroyable Ubisoft would have done a lot more textures and coding to show their state (from intact to destroyed with explosions, with smoke etc.), why would they if you are not supposed to do it?

(*) I think that in SH3 (with the WAC mod) and SH5 this is much more easy to see, I remember some epic battles between units , especially the Poland invasion, but I can't remember if ships fired at land targets.

I think battleships in the game could do that if you edit their waypoints to be closer to land or if you augment considerably their canon ranges; place some port canons between or on buildings and enjoy the show. OK, that's not like doing it yourself but the firework is the same
Or mod the mod, and get your canons more powerful.

If I would have to mod a building to be destroyable, I would place a little invisible ship inside the building - without textures to make it invisible. This would have the effect of battleships or any enemy canons firing on it, the building will maybe not destroy, but it will LOOK destroyed.

XS

Last edited by XenonSurf; 05-18-20 at 11:37 AM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-20, 02:16 PM   #3
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col7777 View Post
I have seen this mentioned before somewhere in a thread.

I recently have been playing as a ship for a change, good fun so far.
Anyway in a patrol I was close to an enemy harbour, on closer inspection on the map there were a few ships there so I went closer.
My ship was firing long range and hitting the ships and destroying them one by one. Also I went on the external camera to watch the action in the harbour, a lot of my shells were hitting buildings, but as you know nothing happens, I was thinking what a shame it would have been a real spectacle seeing those go up in flames as well.

Also I was being shelled by some land units, again hitting those does nothing, luckily none got me, after I sank the harbour ships I turned and left quick, but what a shame these other objects can't be made to be destroyed.

I'm remember back in SH2 years ago this was brought up, I purposely shelled some buildings and got them to smoke but it took a lot of shelling.

Col.
theoretically, one could probably display damage to buildings, etc. one would have to build damage folder/files like there are for ships and aircraft. to date, no one has done that.
sounds like you can be a trendsetter if you can figure it out and build it.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-20, 02:50 PM   #4
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

Iambecomelife is doing just that in Wolves of the Kiaser.
-Shore bombardment missions, with destructible buildings

So yes it can be done. If I'm not wrong he found the clue in GWX3.
Old 05-18-20, 03:05 PM   #5
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO Re: Land Units and Buildings...

If that does come about, of being able to see the destruction of buildings, would be a game changer for sure.

Would be real interesting to see it stretched further to being able to see things like.. the Pearl Harbor attack, Midway.. and others brought to life in game & actually be able to witness it, semi 1st hand..

1 can dream...
Old 05-18-20, 03:24 PM   #6
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Lots of work needed to do that.
Special Zones in the zone.cfg,
New effects in particles.dat and Materials.dat,
And nearly all buildings would need work to blow apart.
Then you need a damaged version of each building to remain.
Can it be done? YES! Of course!
And has been done on a very small scale to prove it works.
Iambecomelife, if he follows through, would be the first to do it on a large scale.

Just remember. The more you add things like this?
The more likely you will encounter ID conflicts or CTD!
You may even cause a vast increase to Save Games problems.
Old 05-18-20, 03:41 PM   #7
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

In SH1 there are port bombardments when you do the rescue pilot mission, a big squadron of planes will approach and do the bombing. But that's a scripted event, and besides you won't see the destruction, but only hear the explostions, there is no eye-candy whatsoever. I wonder why Ubisoft didn't include it in SH4 (or they did maybe and I'm not aware of?)
The problem in SH4 (and SH5) is that everything which takes place around ports or even in proximity is technically forbidden terrain for the player because all nodes for the campaign missions and traffic are made around ports, if you are there for long it will mess-up all the campaign and traffic ongoing. That's also why there are lot of stationary ships but pretty nothing to challenge you, if you decide to sink one ship after the other it's sort of cheating the game.
On top of these limitations, another question is, why spending so much time to mod destroyable port assets or buildings if the majority of the time spent is far away from ports? I don't see much challenge or fun with it, you do it for a couple of minutes and then you move on, IMO not worth the long time to arrange such a mod that only very few of you will play anyway. Unless it's really fast and easy to create, but I doubt. But modders are strange people, what can be done is always done at some point, modding is a game on its own.

XS

Last edited by XenonSurf; 05-18-20 at 03:51 PM.
Old 05-18-20, 03:49 PM   #8
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

I believe you hit the nail on the head!
Blowing up a few buildings would be fun then you'd probably not do it after awhile.
So no Modder in his right mind would spend the mass amount of time to do it.
Maybe a few ports or so would be cool. But not every little building in the Game.
And if your blowing the heck outta buildings? Your probably calling attention to your position!
Old 05-18-20, 04:03 PM   #9
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
I believe you hit the nail on the head!
Blowing up a few buildings would be fun then you'd probably not do it after awhile.
So no Modder in his right mind would spend the mass amount of time to do it.
Maybe a few ports or so would be cool. But not every little building in the Game.
And if your blowing the heck outta buildings? Your probably calling attention to your position!

A modder will likely release such a mod, but it would be part of a larger project he is working on, a secondary bonus if you want
In the WAC mod of SH3 which is trying to reflect historical campaign events as faithful as possible (you will find every important naval event in it), big ship battles also with planes involved take place 'just' at the limit of the ports, so it won't mess-up the game, and despite of that you have the feeling that all takes place in the port as well. I think you cannot do much more without breaking the game.
Old 05-18-20, 04:10 PM   #10
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Probably at some point. I agree.
I'd say time would be better spent to make AI Subs dive!
Old 05-18-20, 05:45 PM   #11
Col7777
Grey Wolf

I was in a port a while ago going out to sea and was attacked by aircraft, the other ships in the port were firing at them as well and they were all shot down.
One crashed very near to where I was sailing and instead of bursting in to flames it rolled about making a terrible noise, now that would have been good if the building it crashed in to also burst in the flames.

As for going in to ports to sink ships, I just spent a good few hours doing that playing as a ship instead of a sub, the ship auto fired its guns and didn't need to come in to the port, it was firing from a distance.
I agree the ships didn't budge but if after the first ship was being attacked it would have been better if they sprang in to life and scattered or tried to attack me then it would have been more interesting.

I was in a mission not long ago, 'Harbour Recon' I think it was and a few ships were moving and came to attack, so isn't in the mission file when placing ships to have them static or not what if they are not static, can they sit still till attacked, I don't know?

Col.

Silent and Violent
Old 05-18-20, 08:07 PM   #12
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col7777 View Post
I was in a port a while ago going out to sea and was attacked by aircraft, the other ships in the port were firing at them as well and they were all shot down.
One crashed very near to where I was sailing and instead of bursting in to flames it rolled about making a terrible noise, now that would have been good if the building it crashed in to also burst in the flames.

As for going in to ports to sink ships, I just spent a good few hours doing that playing as a ship instead of a sub, the ship auto fired its guns and didn't need to come in to the port, it was firing from a distance.
I agree the ships didn't budge but if after the first ship was being attacked it would have been better if they sprang in to life and scattered or tried to attack me then it would have been more interesting.

I was in a mission not long ago, 'Harbour Recon' I think it was and a few ships were moving and came to attack, so isn't in the mission file when placing ships to have them static or not what if they are not static, can they sit still till attacked, I don't know?

Col.

You are right, I don't know if it's the mod TMO or FOTRSU or other mods, but in SH4 there is more patrolling action around the port and ships will not hesitate to follow you into the port if they detect you, this is much more pronounced than in SH5. In SH5 I have observed that ships are first stationary and will attack you after your first offensive action (when they are hit or see that other ships are hit). In SH4 I guess it's the same but I don't know yet. FOTRSU seems to add more ships to defend ports, that's very good, I like it and it means that the campaign node system is different from SH5 allowing more freedom when defining traffic. That's not the case in SH5 which doesn't allow this without damaging traffic outside of port (when adding task force spawns too close to port you risk not seeing any traffic outside any longer, meaning the campaign you edit or create is useless until you remove these units near the port.)

This may not be 100% exact, it's only what I learned so far in SH5. I'm very pleased that SH4 is somewhat different, maybe some day we shall see a true replica of the Battle Of Midway, with all the fireworks in the port that gets bombed, and building blowing up and pieces flying in all directions...
it sure would be cool then to take the role of a destroyer to make AA operations.

XS
Old 05-19-20, 07:28 AM   #13
Col7777
Grey Wolf

Jeff mentioned above about having AI subs firing torps, I commented on another thread about that.
In SH2 a guy called SergButo made some ai subs that you could attach to your sub in a mission, it worked great.
So if you encountered a convoy you had help sinking the ships but also the DD's were all over the place thus relieving the pressure off you at times.

Col.

Silent and Violent
Old 05-29-20, 05:06 PM   #14
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297

An old screenshot series of destructible oil tanks from around 2014, originally created by someone else but reskinned by me. The tanks are basically a flower class corvette modded so that it remains unaffected by waves. It's not very hard to implement destructible land objects as long as you are careful with placement.

iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote