SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > Wolfpack
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-13-19, 01:28 AM   #1
Superesse
Seaman

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default Suggestions for the map

I have two suggestions for the map.

1. Map notes. It would be good to have a “paper for notes” in the map view. I am thinking something like the right 20% of the screen being a blank piece of paper while the left 80% is still the same map. This right area is not “pannable” or zoomable. You can write or draw. The idea is to have a simple way of writing notes that are not affected by zoom level. Sometime you can have a hard time finding your notes on the map. Also, it is a good place to share data such as convoy speed and heading with others.

2. Moveable time-points. Often when you want to place a timed point, you don’t know where to put it until you’ve drawn some lines. As time passes while doing this, it is no longer correct when placed. This is made worse if you’re solo and need to run away to check depth or something. It would be good if you could put the timed dot anywhere on the map first, and then when the position is determined, move the dot there. Another option would be the possibility to adjust the time on the dot, but I think it’s more complicated and doesn’t make it more useful.
Superesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-19, 04:51 AM   #2
MadSin
Swabbie

Downloads: 63

To be honest, it seems to me, but with the map and map tools implemented in this way, it seems that it was not 1939/1940, but about 2010 and the old boat was equipped with modern navigation tools, such as an experiment ... it reminds the movie "Down Pereskop")
MadSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-19, 05:57 AM   #3
Superesse
Seaman

Downloads: 1

Sorry, I don’t understand why you wouldn’t be able to have a piece of paper next to your map in 1939?
Superesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-19, 11:38 AM   #4
MadSin
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superesse View Post
Sorry, I don’t understand why you wouldn’t be able to have a piece of paper next to your map in 1939?

On the contrary, I am for the fact that there would be sheets of paper, simple rulers and protractors and compasses. Above, I said my opinion about those tools and the map which is now presented in the game.
Old 06-16-19, 01:57 PM   #5
gumbeauregard
Seaman

Downloads: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadSin View Post
On the contrary, I am for the fact that there would be sheets of paper, simple rulers and protractors and compasses. Above, I said my opinion about those tools and the map which is now presented in the game.
So exactly what is your issue with the map implementation?

As a sometime real world navigator, I find the tools a bit clunky in the game and harder to use than real world.

They certainly don't give you anything you wouldn't have with a ruler, protractor, calipers and pencil in hand.
gumbeauregard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-19, 03:32 PM   #6
MadSin
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbeauregard View Post
So exactly what is your issue with the map implementation?

As a sometime real world navigator, I find the tools a bit clunky in the game and harder to use than real world.

They certainly don't give you anything you wouldn't have with a ruler, protractor, calipers and pencil in hand.
Awkward- yes
More complex - no, I would say "unnecessarily confusing"
Why so many indications, bindings, functions? Not easier and more convenient to give the standard tools? In Silent Hunter5 everything is very simple and clear, it is inconvenient that the drawing does not scale with the map. I would like to see something like this, but more completed. Simple, understandable, affordable. And yes, more tables, papers for notes, simple pictures with tables, trigonometric tables, a speed conversion table, maybe some tables for a hydrophone ... that would be great.

Last edited by MadSin; 06-16-19 at 03:44 PM.
Old 06-16-19, 04:26 PM   #7
gumbeauregard
Seaman

Downloads: 16

What I would like:

1. Relative bearing compass rose on the boat on the map
2. Automatic 5 minute position marks when surfaced
3. A reverse compass rose when drawing a line that shows the bearing line you are drawing instead of the reciprocal.
4. Better ability to select what you want to erase. A selection tool that gives the ability to erase or move the object would be nice.
5. Multiple color choices so I can keep my target plots identified.
gumbeauregard is offline   Reply With Quote