Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Classic Subsims
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-26-18, 05:30 PM   #1
Jeffg
Exec

Downloads: 1484
Uploads: 0
Default Silent Hunter Commander's Edition

I am using SH Commander's edition under DOSBOX and I am running Win 10 and when I try to add the add-on's that were available for the sim my computer says unable to run on this computer. This programs are run with a exe file, any way to get them to install?

JeffG
Old 04-27-18, 02:19 AM   #2
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi J
Run the install or exe as an administrator.
Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-18, 09:50 AM   #3
Jeffg
Exec

Hey Peter, I tried it I even right click on the EXE file and went under compatibility and check off run as administrator and it does not work. When I try I get the little blue screen up on the computer says this app can’t run on your PC to find a version for your PC check with the software publisher. I was trying to give this thing a shot because I remember how much fun Silent Hunter commanders edition was.

Jeff
Old 04-27-18, 07:22 PM   #4
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

You should try to also run the setup.exe or add-on exe in Dosbox instead of your native OS. Have you tried that? With D-Fend Reloaded (frontend for Dosbox) there is a special field to run these secondary setup programs for a Dos game.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-18, 09:25 PM   #5
Jeffg
Exec

I will try that this weekend will let you know if it works Thanks.

JeffG
Old 05-12-18, 09:11 AM   #6
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Hey JeffG did you get it to work?

If not, try Kim Rønhof's program, it does everything Hawks tools do and more. It was written to work in operating systems back in 2008 and earlier but it may run in Win 10 with XP compatibility mode selected... I don't have Win 10 yet, still running Win 7.

TorpedoChange1630.zip
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=5068

You can change the following data :

The Patrol area.
The Submarine type and name.
The Salmon/Sargo submarine specifications. Warning see note on use !!
The Narwhal/Argonaut fix Warning see note on use !!
The S-boat fix Warning see note on use !!
The gun position (for or aft) – but only on fleet submarines.
The crew experience level.
The Fog setting.
The torpedo load (type of torpedoes, and distribution into tubes and racks)
You can reload fuel and ammo for the gun.
The departure date.
You can change the tonnage, length, beam and draft of the 9 Maru types.

But not all can be done at once, it depends on your patrol status (harbor or on patrol).

Happy Hunting!
Protect each one we ask of thee.
Bless those at home who wait and pray,
For their return by night and day."

aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-18, 10:01 AM   #7
Jeffg
Exec

Icon14

I will try that one as I still can not get any of those add-ons to work. I was able to add the extra missions. Will let you know btw I found on Scribd the full manual for Silent Service 2 and the book 40 Great Submarine Simulator War Adventures,Sub Commander. Great reads for these games and also for SH4.

JeffG
Old 01-13-19, 12:42 AM   #8
ChristopherTarana
中国水兵

Downloads: 190
Icon14 SH1

I just reinstalled Silent Hunters Commander's Edition onto my Vista computer using Defend Reloaded. I didn't realized it was a DOS program!

Christopher Tarana
ChristopherTarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-19, 08:03 PM   #9
agathosdaimon
Planesman

Downloads: 142

maybe this was mentioned - but if you are running a game in dosbox and need to add expansions etc, then have you tried running the exes through dosbox also? i have had to do that with all my old games that had extras and addons that were all dos games
agathosdaimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-19, 06:22 AM   #10
UnderWaterGamer
Mate

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 2
Icon12 SHCE hawks mods

Hi
I have managed to get the Hawk's mod working by using PowerIso, I draged and dropped the .exes in it and I then moved the content in my Silent directory.I actually found this by playing with Jane's 688(I)'s files, but unfortunantly the idbook10.exe is not working. I am using win7.

Note: for SHReal you need to put every file in the Silent folder. I only use the NewMaru when I change patrol zone. You can also find instructions inside the files.
UnderWaterGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-19, 07:54 AM   #11
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderWaterGamer View Post
Hi
I have managed to get the Hawk's mod working by using PowerIso, I draged and dropped the .exes in it and I then moved the content in my Silent directory.I actually found this by playing with Jane's 688(I)'s files, but unfortunantly the idbook10.exe is not working. I am using win7.

Note: for SHReal you need to put every file in the Silent folder. I only use the NewMaru when I change patrol zone. You can also find instructions inside the files.

All executables for the game, which is: all DOS executables and their setup.exe, setsound.exe etc. must all be run in Dosbox and nowhere else. From there it works all the time. Then, if still necessary, make additional sound or game setups in the frontend of Dosbox (e.g. Dosbox reloaded).

There is also a 'Manual plotting program' for SH1, this one is a Windows program, it will not launch under Dosbox, and not on modern Win-OS, it's a 16-bit program, therefore it's best to run all these old games in VMWARE with Windows XP, here you never have any problems when installing, seting up or playing.
Old 04-14-19, 11:42 AM   #12
UnderWaterGamer
Mate

Icon11

Hi
I am sorry, I ment the exes you get when you download Hawk's mods, because normaly, when you run them, they put there content in your Silent directory but when you double click them an error message pops up (because I'm on Windows 7), so to bypass that error I open them in PowerIso (maybe other programs work to...) and normaly there content is shown in the window, so you copie the files and put in your Silent directory and in dos box you type the exe name (e.g. SHReal.exe) and it should run with no problems.

Last edited by UnderWaterGamer; 04-14-19 at 12:02 PM.
Old 04-14-19, 12:27 PM   #13
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

Default Welcome aboard!

UnderWaterGamer!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-19, 03:01 PM   #14
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderWaterGamer View Post
Hi
I am sorry, I ment the exes you get when you download Hawk's mods, because normaly, when you run them, they put there content in your Silent directory but when you double click them an error message pops up (because I'm on Windows 7), so to bypass that error I open them in PowerIso (maybe other programs work to...) and normaly there content is shown in the window, so you copie the files and put in your Silent directory and in dos box you type the exe name (e.g. SHReal.exe) and it should run with no problems.

Sorry, I have misread you, you meant the Hawks's mod...my fault
I have Hawk's mod installed, this is what I have:

I run SH1 under VMware + WinXP and under Defend Reloaded (in WinXp).

The install instructions , unfortunately, were located on Hawk's famous website that doesn't exist anymore. I still have it saved, so I paste the info here:

------------------------------------------------------
Historical Realism Patch
SHREAL.EXE
The main purpose of this patch is to correct some historical inaccuracies in Silent Hunter. It gives all of the S-class boats their historical hull numbers, modifies the layout and/or performance of some classes of subs to reflect historical wartime specifications, and corrects a few annoying little things in the game like engaging the enemy in a surface gun action while cruising along at 35-foot keel depth. It will also allow you to mount the deck gun forward on the deck of those fleet-class subs that have them mounted aft. It gives the player five options to implement in the game. You may select any or all of the options to install, or choose to restore all options to their original factory settings. The options are itemized below.

1. Historical hull numbers for the S-class boats
Silent Hunter's game designers, for some unknown reason, failed to give the S-class submarines the hull numbers they were actually assigned during WWII. This option fixes that by giving all of the S-class subs their historical hull numbers.

2. Layout, performance, & depth modification for the S-class boats
Only a few of the S-class boats had an aft torpedo tube. None of those that served in the Pacific during WWII had one. This option removes the after torpedo tube and reload and puts 2 more reloads in the forward torpedo room to maintain the total torpedoes carried at 12, the historical load. Performance has also been modified to conform to historical specifications, an option that will help you appreciate what the crews on these boats had to deal with. Periscope depth is changed to 48 feet instead of 65 feet. Research indicates that the S-class boats carried a 34-foot periscope and that it was used from the control room, not the conning tower. Likewise, radar depth has been modified and the maximum depth for surface operations such as manning the bridge and deck gun has been changed to something a bit more realistic.

3. Layout, performance, & depth modification for the Narwhal-class boats
Both of the Narwhal-class submarines were soon relegated to special mission duties during the war. They were used to transport personnel and supplies in roles unsuited for surface vessels. Both spent the majority of their war patrols in and around the Philippines. Some of the torpedo tubes were external and when the Narwhal & Nautilus were modified to assume the transport & supply role, much of the internal reloading equipment was removed. This patch reflects this by reducing the torpedo payload for the Narwhal class. They were also given a new 4-engine power plant, similar to the Gato and later classes. This option gives these boats the new engine layout and corresponding performance modifications. Depth settings are also corrected.

4. Depth modification for the fleet-type boats
This option modifies depths for the fleet boats to give more historical or realistic settings.

5. Change deck gun position on the newer fleet-type submarines
On the newer fleet-type submarines, the deck gun could be mounted forward or aft as the captain saw fit. Most players have a preference for a deck gun mounted forward or aft and this option allows you to move the deck gun from the aft position to the forward one on the Salmon/Sargo, T-class, Gato, and Balao class boats.

INSTALLING THIS PROGRAM
After you have downloaded SHRSETUP.EXE you must run it to extract all of the files to the proper folders.

Win95 & Win98 users -- Select Run from the Start menu.
Win3.x users -- Select Run from Program Manager's File menu.
Now type in the path to SHRSETUP or click the Browse button to locate the downloaded file. Then click the OK button.

You should get a window that looks similar to this . . . .

Make sure the "Unzip to Folder" field contains the correct path to your Silent Hunter folder and press the Unzip button.

USING SHREAL
After you have downloaded and installed the software, SHReal should be in your Silent Hunter folder. To run it, just switch to that folder and double-click the SHReal file in Windows, or type SHREAL from the DOS prompt in your Silent Hunter directory.

Select the options you want to install and press the Continue button. To restore all of the original settings, press the Restore Defaults button. Any and all changes you make will remain in effect until you use the Restore Defaults option. In other words, if you run the program once and only choose the first option, then run it a again and choose the third option, the game will now run with both the 1st and 3rd options in effect.

There is a small online help screen inside the program to help you decide which options to install.

Download the Historical Realism Patch

Merchant Ship Patch

NEWMARU.EXE
This program changes the dimensions of the merchant ships in Silent Hunter to make the sizes of the merchant ships you encounter in the game variable and perhaps more realistic. The warships in the game are NOT affected at all by this patch, it only modifies the length, beam, draft, and displacement of the merchant ships. It does NOT alter any of the ships' actual appearance, so a 9000-ton tanker will look exactly like a 16,000-ton tanker in the game. However, the changes this patch make ARE reflected in the Ship ID Book, so you can see what each vessel's dimensions are after you run the program. You can use this program in conjunction with the batch file SILENT.BAT included in the package to automatically change the merchant ships' dimensions each time you start the game.

INSTALLING THIS PROGRAM
After you have downloaded NMSETUP.EXE you must run it to extract all of the files to the proper folders.

Win95 & Win98 users -- Select Run from the Start menu. Win3.x users -- Select Run from Program Manager's File menu. Now type in the path to NMSETUP or click the Browse button to locate the downloaded file. Then click the OK button. You should get a window that looks similar to this . . . .

Make sure the "Unzip to Folder" field contains the correct path to your Silent Hunter folder and press the Unzip button.

USING NEW MARU
After you have downloaded and installed the software, New Maru should be in your Silent Hunter DATA folder. To run it, just switch to the DATA folder and double-click the NewMaru file in Windows, or type NEWMARU from the DOS prompt in your Silent Hunter DATA directory. The merchant ships will keep these new dimensions until you run New Maru again. SILENT.BAT is a batch file you can use to start Silent Hunter. It should be in your main Silent Hunter folder. First it calls New Maru to change the dimensions of merchant ships in the game, then calls SH.EXE to start the game itself. It has the affect of changing merchant ship dimensions and tonnage each time you start Silent Hunter. Instead of typing SH to start the game, type SILENT and the merchant ships will automatically change each time you start the game. If you run the game from Windows, change your Silent Hunter shortcut to point to SILENT.BAT instead of SH.EXE.

Download the Merchant Ship Patch

Edit Rank Utility

This small utility modifies the default rank of Commander for Silent Hunter skippers. This new version allows you to select either Lieutenant, Lt. Commander, Commander, or Captain as the rank. Historically, most submarine CO's were Lt. Commanders or Commanders but there were a few exceptions. The rank of Lieutenant was added because many of the S-boats at Manila in the beginning of the war had commanding officers who were Lieutenants.

Important Notice:
Do not use this utility unless you have the Commander's Edition or version 1.31 of Silent Hunter. Check the size of the SH.EXE file in your Silent Hunter folder. It should be 1,646,723 bytes. If you do not have the Commander's Edition or version 1.31, or if the file size is different, do NOT use this patch. It is incompatible with other versions of the game.

EDITRANK.EXE
This program changes the rank of ALL the skippers in Silent Hunter. It affects things in the game globally. That is, after you run the program, ANY reference to rank in the game will reflect the changes.

This includes: starting a new career, viewing an existing career, patrol orders issued when you start a new patrol, and any citations or reprimands.

INSTALLING THIS PROGRAM
After you have downloaded ERSETUP.EXE you must run it to extract all of the files to the proper folders.

Now type in the path to ERSETUP or click the Browse button to locate the downloaded file. Then click the OK button.

Download the Edit Rank Utility

Crew Experience Editor

CESETUP.EXE
This utility cycles through all of your saved career games and gives you the option to change the crew's experience level. It was written quickly for use with the Pacific Thunder Campaign. After you download it, simply run it from the Windows Start menu. The setup program will install the Crew Experience Editor to your desktop.

Download the Crew Experience Editor

Campaign Boat Selector

NEWBOAT.EXE
This program is a save game editor for Silent Hunter. It allows you to change the individual submarine you've been assigned in your career campaigns. Each submarine's availability is limited by the date during the war when the game was saved. In other words, you can't go patrolling around Luzon in January 1942 in a TENCH class sub. The S-Class boats represented in NEWBOAT all have their historical hull number designations instead of the ones used in Silent Hunter. For example, the S-36 is given it's historical hull number (SS-141) instead of the one it's given in Silent Hunter (SS-36). NEWBOAT also makes a distinction between the SALMON and SARGO class submarines. NEWBOAT will also allow you to change the name of the commander. NEWBOAT only supports career campaign games saved while IN PORT. This means that once you select a different boat and go out on a patrol, you're stuck with it until you return to port.

INSTALLING THIS PROGRAM
After you have downloaded NBSETUP.EXE you must run it to extract all of the files to the proper folders.

Win95 & Win98 users -- Select Run from the Start menu. Win3.x users -- Select Run from Program Manager's File menu. Now type in the path to NBSETUP or click the Browse button to locate the downloaded file. Then click the OK button. You should get a window that looks similar to this . . . .

USING NEW BOAT
After you have downloaded and installed the software, New Boat should be in your Silent Hunter SAVE folder. To run it, just switch to the SAVE folder and double-click the Newboat file in Windows, or type NEWBOAT from the DOS prompt in your Silent Hunter SAVE directory. The interface is fairly intuitive. When you run the program, select START and it will load all of your campaign games saved in port. This list is NOT in any kind of order so pay attention to the date, score, number of ships sunk, etc., so you only change the saved game you want. Select a saved game and pick a new submarine or change the Skipper's name. That's all there is to it. The subs are limited by date, so if it is early in the war, the Balao and Tench classes won't be available. When you are through, just exit the program. You can also get version info and online help from the main screen. Enjoy!

Download the Campaign Boat Selector

Patrol Zone Selector

PZPICK.ZIP
This program lets you choose your patrol zone for single missions and career patrols. Be sure to read PZPick's help screen for more detailed user instructions.

INSTALLING THIS PROGRAM
Download PZPICK.ZIP, unzip the package to a temporary folder, and run the setup program. This will install the Patrol Zone Selector to your Windows desktop.

USING PZPICK
After installing, you can run PZPick by clicking Start, Programs, Silent Hunter Utilities, PZPick.

Download the Patrol Zone Selector

New Gauges Panel

This patch changes the original yellow faced dials in your SH gauges station screen with a few color changes and an easier to read depth gauge.

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS
If you want to keep a copy of the original gauges, rename the file GAUGES.PCX in your Silent Hunter ART folder to something like GAUGES.SAV or copy the file to a different folder. If you don't do this, the new gauges panel will overwrite the old one.

After you have downloaded NEWGAGE.EXE you must run it to extract all of the files to the proper folders.

Now type in the path to NEWGAGE or click the Browse button to locate the downloaded file. Then click the OK button.

Make sure the "Unzip to Folder" field contains the correct path to your Silent Hunter folder and press the Unzip button. Now when you run Silent Hunter, you will have the new gauges screen.

Download the New Gauges Panel

Target ID Book

IDBOOK10.EXE
This is a Ship ID Book for Windows. Use it to browse through all the Japanese warships and merchant vessels, search for a particular class of ship, and print out a hard copy to use while on patrol. After you download it, just double-click the downloaded file idbook10.exe in Windows. The setup program will run and install the ID Book to your Windows desktop.

Download the Target ID Book

------------------------------------------------------

Now, from what I understand by reading all these install instructions, you cannot run the installs in Win7, you need XP.
It's hard to say what all should be in your SILENT folder, that's what I've got in mine for SHReal:

SHREAL.EXE
SHREAL.HLP
SHREAL.IMG
SHREAL.PAL
SHREAL.TXT

These are the programs that you must install in XP, see screenshot:

https://ibb.co/QdZQTy5

I hope this helps you !

Last edited by XenonSurf; 04-14-19 at 03:22 PM.
Old 04-14-19, 04:04 PM   #15
UnderWaterGamer
Mate

Icon14

Hi
Yeah, I also have the mods installed and working on my windows 7 but I just can't make the deck gun position change using SHReal so I use Kim's tools for that. I also miss Hawk's site because I rember there where a lot of tactics and tips such as shooting down planes with the deck gun and more. I also don't see a big difference in the gauges but Hawk's mods are still very good.

Happy Hunting!