SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-09-09, 07:31 PM   #256
lurker_hlb3
Admiral

Downloads: 187
Uploads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by karamazovnew View Post
Lurker, nice job mate, can't wait to see them, please integrate the 1.2 patch and maybe even the changes I talked about in post #247. I'll then delete the patch from filefront to avoid any other misunderstandings.

Will do. I think OMEGU v300 Patch 2 will be up sometime on Friday
lurker_hlb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-09, 10:49 AM   #257
EgoApocalypse
Lieutenant

Location: The system might fail you. But dont fail youself...................
Downloads: 36
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by karamazovnew View Post

1. Get OM v705 and DON'T PLACE place it over TMO or RFB: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=1097
2. Apply the OM V705-V720 patch: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=1403
3. Get OMEGU v300, this contains the Alpha 3.0 version of KiUB: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=1336
4. Apply the OMEGU Patch1 which upgrades the KiUB to Final 1.1.: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=1449
5. Apply my patch to bring it up to latest (and probably last) KiUB v1.2: http://www.filefront.com/15093763/KiUB-1.2-Patch.zip/
Thats how see looks in game...............

1. Already done
2. Already done
3. Already done
4. Already done
5. Already done

I have all that done karamazovnew and thats how it came out.....
Why What should it look like???
I have all the dials hidden and the task bar at the bottom hidden too.........

EgoApocalypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-09, 02:55 PM   #258
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Downloads: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoApocalypse View Post
Thats how see looks in game...............

1. Already done
2. Already done
3. Already done
4. Already done
5. Already done

I have all that done karamazovnew and thats how it came out.....
Why What should it look like???
I have all the dials hidden and the task bar at the bottom hidden too.........
It should look like this.

Notice that the sides of the screen are ok and the viewfinder is bigger. Also the marks are uniform and there's also a periscope zoom indicator. Your screenshot looks as if the menu_1024_768.ini file from Omegu Patch 1 has not been applied. Please check if there's an additional file named "menu_1024_768.something" in the Data\Menu folder of the game. If there is, delete it because the game might load it by mistake instead of the correct one.
karamazovnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-09, 06:38 PM   #259
EgoApocalypse
Lieutenant

Location: The system might fail you. But dont fail youself...................
Downloads: 36

Res:
1680*1050 8.5 @60hz???????????

EgoApocalypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-09, 06:51 PM   #260
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoApocalypse View Post
Res:
1680*1050 8.5 @60hz???????????
Resolution doesn't matter. Open the Data\Menu\menu_1024_768.ini file and do a search for "periscope_left.tga". If you find anything it means that the menu file is incorect. It's a reminiscent item left from alpha 3.0. I've just reinstalled the game from scratched and redownloaded the mods. I applied them in the given order and it works perfectly.

Last edited by karamazovnew; 12-10-09 at 07:50 PM.
Old 12-11-09, 01:47 AM   #261
looney
Commodore

Downloads: 43

I'm on 1680x1050 also and it works fine for me also.
looney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-09, 05:00 AM   #262
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker_hlb3 View Post
Will do. I think OMEGU v300 Patch 2 will be up sometime on Friday
I really hope it will be THIS Friday . I've just got a bloody nose during a convoy attack. Missed with all 4 eels. I calculated the speed for 3 ships to be 8 kts. I got pissed, loaded and recalculated for the leading corvette. They were at 9 kts . Did the same thing for range... 300 meters off at 2500m.
Old 12-11-09, 05:39 AM   #263
looney
Commodore

Downloads: 43

I'm not into the mod neither but I hit 4 out of 6 torps yesterday. To bad no ship sunk . I need to learn to use it, so gods eye on and check check check double check
looney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-09, 06:29 AM   #264
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by looney View Post
I'm not into the mod neither but I hit 4 out of 6 torps yesterday. To bad no ship sunk . I need to learn to use it, so gods eye on and check check check double check
On lone ships I have no problem hitting with every eel. But on convoys the range is quite important. I do my best to hit with all 4 at the same time and fire them while moving slowly back. I never turn after an attack, I just back away. But I can't use the 000 gyro like this so I need all values to be correct. Since you don't need renown in OM I suggest you turn on event cam as it's easier to follow multiple eels. I hope that after Lurker recalculates the dimensions I can go back to my ACM style of play. Shoot, dive, turn tail and wait for impact confirmation or duds. No external or event cam
Old 12-11-09, 11:23 PM   #265
lurker_hlb3
Admiral

Downloads: 187
Uploads: 12

OMEGU v300 patch 2 is up
lurker_hlb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-09, 02:18 PM   #266
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Hello,
thanks for the heads-up - already installed.

Few questions for Karamazovnew :

1. I do not see any green lines or units horizontally: not at the horizontal center of the 'scope, and not at the upper part ? But i can count it anyway via the diagonal small "echelons", if not that exact ...

2. Page 8 of the KiUB user guide: when getting the speed - now what you show is how the ship goes by at an AOB of appx. 90, but how do you measure the speed if the AOB is, say 45 ? The ship's length is then shortened and the method with the stop watch will then surely show a wrong speed ?

3. Page 9 of the KiUB user guide you put the measured 44 seconds of the middle ring at 151 meters as you write, while the length of the warship should be 251 ? Typo, or how do you find this 151 ? The photo again shows 251 ...

In that respect - i just measured a target getting by, and used 1 minute 24 seconds - how do i enter this in the AOBF ?
The scale goes up to 100, so i would have to enter "84" (seconds), ok - but what about more than 100 seconds measured time ?

Thanks and greetings,
Catfish
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-09, 07:13 PM   #267
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
Hello,
thanks for the heads-up - already installed.

Few questions for Karamazovnew :

1. I do not see any green lines or units horizontally: not at the horizontal center of the 'scope, and not at the upper part ? But i can count it anyway via the diagonal small "echelons", if not that exact ...

2. Page 8 of the KiUB user guide: when getting the speed - now what you show is how the ship goes by at an AOB of appx. 90, but how do you measure the speed if the AOB is, say 45 ? The ship's length is then shortened and the method with the stop watch will then surely show a wrong speed ?

3. Page 9 of the KiUB user guide you put the measured 44 seconds of the middle ring at 151 meters as you write, while the length of the warship should be 251 ? Typo, or how do you find this 151 ? The photo again shows 251 ...

In that respect - i just measured a target getting by, and used 1 minute 24 seconds - how do i enter this in the AOBF ?
The scale goes up to 100, so i would have to enter "84" (seconds), ok - but what about more than 100 seconds measured time ?

Thanks and greetings,
Catfish

1. If you mean the ones on the AOBF, the marks are just below the center line. I found them easier to read if they were like this. But you can move them up by editing the alpha channel in AP_PreciseMarks.tga.
3. I've made the guide during Alpha 3.0. Since then I've changed the AOBF, but the principle is the same. You align the length on the outer circle with the time on the middle outer circle and read the speed on the inner middle circle just below the red line. The AOBF is a circular slide ruler that does a division between the outermost circles and shows the answer on the marks circle, in the place indicated by the red line.
So, if Speed[Kts]=Distance[m]/Time[s].... then Speed[kts]=Distance[m]*0.5/Time[s]*0.5
In other words, if a target that is 160 meters long passes in 160 seconds (1. in the picture), it will have the same speed as a ship 80 meters long passing in 80 seconds (2. in the picture). So just divide both the time and length by 2, or by 10, the speed will be correct. But you'll raaarely need to do this.

2. The fixed wire method works at any AOB/Bearing. When the sub is standing still and you don't move the scope, the vertical center line becomes like an imaginary "start/finish" line projected on the water.
The time doesn't change, regardless of AOB. The only thing that changes is the Angular movement of the ship during that time. The closer the AOB is to 90, the bigger the angular movement during that time. That's why it seems to move faster. And of course, the width of the ship becomes a problem at low AOB's as you won't be able to figure out where the stern ends.

Now, If your sub is moving, the projected vertical line moves with your sub. So the only way to take accurate measurements is to point your sub directly before your target and use the 000 bearing as a projected line. As the sub moves forward, the line gets shorter but doesn't move.
Old 12-14-09, 10:05 AM   #268
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Hello Karamasovnew,

thanks for answering ...

1. There are no green numbers at all, at the horizontal center line - and not at the top - only those small edges going up in a "V" form. Huh ?
Or only visible at 1.5x, not 6x ?
Either they are not there, or invisible ? I did not change anything after applying the OMEGU patch 2 .. (left out patch 1, but lurker wrote this would be ok because it's all rolled up with #2 ?)
Hmm, will play around with the alpha channel ..

2. It is clear, that the sub should be at full stop, and the target move along the 000 bearing, for best estimations - even better when the AOB is roughly 090 degrees :-). I understand the vertical center line is a projection.
So, should i let the AOBF inner wheel stand where it was when taking the AOB measuring, to afterwards measure the speed ? Because then the AOB, or length, is taken into account ?

Hmm, i understand the target closes a certain angle, so it is the "angle speed" that is measured - but how can this comply with the real speed in knots ? Without taking the AOB into account ?

" ...Now, If your sub is moving, the projected vertical line moves with your sub. So the only way to take accurate measurements is to point your sub directly before your target and use the 000 bearing as a projected line. As the sub moves forward, the line gets shorter but doesn't move. ..."

Hmmm, yes. But if my sub moves at say 7 knots, and the target at 15 knots, the measurement from when the bow hits the 000 line until the rear end hits it again, takes forever (at distances of appx. 3500 meters). Takes much more than a minute even with a small freighter ...

3. Ok -

Will have to try this out and get some practice - anyway thanks

edit... hmm the green numbers at left, right and middle center are visible only when the AOBF is not switched on, ok - thought they would be visible all the time.
But the two panels right and left really disturb the whole thing, and this automatic unlocking along with the periscope not being movable with AOBF on is a bit "uncomfortable" - have to get used to it.

edit 2 : i guess i do not understand the tutorial. There is that freighttr in the torpedo school mission (the moving one) and with 5 knots and the frighter making some 10+ knots we are approaching so fast i have barely time to adjust anything.The middle wheel does what it wants, and all torpedos fail.
Is there any othe turorial around - i remember the OLCgui video thing - does it also apply to this ?

Greetings,
Catfish

Last edited by Catfish; 12-14-09 at 03:59 PM.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-09, 06:42 PM   #269
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Quote:
There are no green numbers at all, at the horizontal center line - and not at the top - only those small edges going up in a "V" form. Huh ?
Or only visible at 1.5x, not 6x ?
There are 2 sets of marks. The ones visible when the AOB wheel is hidden, and another set when the AOB wheel is shown. Zoom doesn't change anything. Neither does resolution or aspect ratio. Please give me a screenshot of both situations.

Quote:
So, should i let the AOBF inner wheel stand where it was when taking the AOB measuring, to afterwards measure the speed ? Because then the AOB, or length, is taken into account ?
No. To calculate the AOB you line up the target's range with it's length. To calculate the speed, you align the time (same circle but different value) with the length.

Quote:
Hmmm, yes. But if my sub moves at say 7 knots, and the target at 15 knots, the measurement from when the bow hits the 000 line until the rear end hits it again, takes forever (at distances of appx. 3500 meters). Takes much more than a minute even with a small freighter ...
That's impossible. Even in the worst case scenario (running parallel with target, at 270 or 90) a speed of 8 (15-7) knots will still take less than 40 seconds.

Quote:
i remember the OLCgui video thing - does it also apply to this ?
Yes it does. I now use the exact same procedure I used in ACM. Let me tell you, it all depends on how well you approach your target. With a good approach, you can make a good AOB measurement and put yourself on a perfect 90 intercept course from far away. Then you run underwater as fast as possible to get close enough. You get the speed when the target is at 45-60 AOB (full reverse and hit all stop as soon as you reach 2 kts) and you do a final range check just before shooting. You don't need to calculate the AOB when the target is CLOSE because you don't have time and you can visually estimate it well enough anyway.

The periscope cannot move with any AOB wheel mod. You don't need the torpedo setting panel when doing calculations. Just close it. The TDC one doesn't cover too much usable space anyway.

On my last patrol I've sunk 50k tons without saves (torpedoes only, deck gun only for finishing 2 targets after 2 duds). All torpedoes hit. And I do mean ALL. I took the AOB for some of them at 5000m and the speed at 3000m. I didn't even bother rechecking or inputing range. On some ships I intentionally made mistakes and still managed to nail the AOB within 10 degrees. Speed was even off by 1 knot (intentionally). Most shots were taken at <800 meters. After the targets closed down to less than 2000 meters, I followed them by sonar and only raised my scope for 5-10 seconds to shoot. It all comes down to practice.
Old 12-24-09, 11:40 PM   #270
MTotenkopf
Swabbie

Downloads: 57

i love it. great job, so i did read the manual how to use it but i cant still understand it. can someone make a video on youtube or something like that?

Last edited by MTotenkopf; 12-26-09 at 03:19 AM.
MTotenkopf is offline   Reply With Quote