SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Special Projects > MoBo - Electronic Maneuvering Board
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-18-09, 03:07 PM   #1
Kpt. Weyprecht
Gunner

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 0
Default MoBo international?

Does anyone know how a maneuvering board is called in languages other than English? I suppose all navies must use something of the kind but I couldn't find anything about how they've done in German or French navy, and when I showed a DMA 5090 board printed to a friend who is familiar with sailing but not with submarines, and to a seller in a store for sport sailors they had no idea of what it was.

By the way, it seems that on German U-boats the plotting table was a simple wooden desk and not a DRT with the moving light bug?
Old 02-18-09, 04:23 PM   #2
XLjedi
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 53
Uploads: 8

Maneuvering boards are going to be used in situations where you have big ships changing position while moving in formation. Doesn't happen too much outside of naval fleet exercises.

I'm not too surprised that the people you showed the 5090 had never seen one. I can't really think of a reason why they'd need to use one.

Just find an Officer in the German or French Navy and ask them what they call the drawing tool the deck officers use when changing relative ship positions while the fleet is underway.
Old 04-04-09, 10:49 AM   #3
GinoC
Watch

Downloads: 24
Uploads: 0

In the Canadian Navy, we use the American version although we spell it manoeuvring. Years ago, we had a mechanical device called a Battenberg that performed the same function, but it has fallen into disuse. The RN may still use it, though. Of interest, it was invented in 1892 by Admiral Prince Louis of Battenberg, father of the Earl Mountbatten of Burma.

At any rate, I have been teaching myself the Electronic MoBo, and find it quite functional, although it takes a bit of a change in mindset from using the traditional paper methods. BZ, aaronblood.
Old 04-04-09, 08:12 PM   #4
XLjedi
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 53
Uploads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinoC View Post
At any rate, I have been teaching myself the Electronic MoBo, and find it quite functional, although it takes a bit of a change in mindset from using the traditional paper methods. BZ, aaronblood.
Thanks... lemme know if you think it's missing any tools/gadgets.

I particularly like to get input from people who have used the real thing.