SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > Wolfpack
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-25-20, 09:02 AM   #1
Fidd
XO

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0

Default ship skins

Many years ago, I was involved in a project called "SAC" which changed the appearance of aircraft in a game called "Air Warrior", at a time when "re-skinning" was by no means a mainstream modding process. This involved taking submissions from the player-base of bitmaps and incorporating them in a program written by G42 to make backups of the original game-files, and to swap in historically correct skins for a particular air-battle, period or theatre. It was basically a fore-runner of JGSME.

This resulted in a very wide range of art-work in a very short time, far beyond what the game's developers could produce.

Is it, or would it be, possible for the artwork used to "skin" ships in game to be modifiable in this way I wonder? (If indeed skins are used at all?)

I think it would greatly improve the diversity in appearance of our convoy ships. Ideally there should be some moderation involved so that "bright luminous pink ships" do not result, and the choice of ship renderings be that of the lobby-owner? It'll be important that everyone sees the same art, so that "see that red-funnelled ship at 056?" actually is seen as a red-funnelled ship by all concerned.

Thoughts?
Fidd is offline   Reply With Quote