SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion > Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-14-14, 03:56 PM   #1
hunter301
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0
Default Is this game worth the $$$$

been considering getting this game for some time now.
Just looking for some experienced opinions on games value.
Thanks.

"You know what the chain of command is?
It's the chain I get and beat you with till you understand who's in command."
-ME
hunter301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-14, 04:51 PM   #2
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

I think it's a good game, I don't like the full price but was fortunate enough to receive a voucher knocking some off.

If you can afford to buy it with little or no effect on your bank account then get it, if you'll scrimp and save to get it then don't.

Just my views.
Old 02-14-14, 05:09 PM   #3
Herman
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 269
Uploads: 1046

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter301 View Post
been considering getting this game for some time now.
Just looking for some experienced opinions on games value.
Thanks.
Everyone's perception of value is subjective. To me, this game is not worth the $80 price. I would appraise it more in the $40 range, but opinions vary.

Unfortunately, it is unlikely ever to have a demo so that you can evaluate the game for yourself. The best you can do is read reviews from others and watch videos to see how the game plays.

Command: Modern Air / Naval Operations Review

North Pacific Shootout [under Human Intelligence]

If you absolutely must try this game before purchase, let me know and I can set up my laptop for remote access so that you can run the game and see for yourself.

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it
4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions
Herman is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-14, 05:34 PM   #4
Baloogan
Loader

Downloads: 1

This guy ^^ is highly biased against Command; I'd recommend ignoring him and his videos.

I'm highly biased towards Command; I think its one of the best games ever!

I have a few videos of Command gameplay I'd recommend:
This one is just 14 minutes long demonstrating electronic warfare in Command.

And here is a play though of the ship warfare tutorial.

Cheers
Baloogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-14, 05:35 PM   #5
Baloogan
Loader

Downloads: 1

I guess I should answer the question: I do think this game is worth the $$$$
Baloogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-14, 06:05 PM   #6
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

I'm a dedicated Warfaresim player. I was interested in this game when it was announced and after have watched every video's from Baloogan's Campaign I got even more interested in buying the game.

Well I already have bought it. the only reason to why I haven't start playing is because of technical issues. First my Disk drive wouldn't work. Placed an order on a external Disk drive. This drive arrived today, but the USB-cable was to short. The computer store had no such cable and it will take about 2 weeks before I can get the hand a longer USB-cable.

Well it gives me more time to read the game manual

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-14, 06:28 PM   #7
hunter301
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38

I have been watching some of the gameplay videos on youtube. Other than a tactical display map there doesn't seem to be much interactivity with the ships, planes or subs. Lots of information very highly detailed information packets on every aspect of the game.
this seems to be a more highly detailed version of the Tactical display for dangerous waters without the visual aspects of the actual gameplay.

"You know what the chain of command is?
It's the chain I get and beat you with till you understand who's in command."
-ME
hunter301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-14, 06:37 PM   #8
Herman
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
I have been watching some of the gameplay videos on youtube. Other than a tactical display map there doesn't seem to be much interactivity with the ships, planes or subs. Lots of information very highly detailed information packets on every aspect of the game.
this seems to be a more highly detailed version of the Tactical display for dangerous waters without the visual aspects of the actual gameplay.
I think you've hit the nail on the head.

If you are able to accept the cumbersome nature of the interface and the cluttered display, then the game is fine for you. However, you should not delude yourself into thinking that you can somehow escape the cluttered nature of the display or the awkwardness of the user interface, as clearly shown in:

Command: Modern Air / Naval Operations Review

You may as well try to ignore gravity.

This guy even demanded a refund:

Quote:
Originally Posted by biosthetique View Post
And you could always, do as I did, since I did not like the product as I found myself misled by incorrect description, erased it from my HD and got the charges on my CC canceled.

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Old 02-14-14, 06:56 PM   #9
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baloogan View Post
This guy ^^ is highly biased against Command; I'd recommend ignoring him and his videos.

I'm highly biased towards Command; I think its one of the best games ever!
You should not direct any recommendations like "ignore this guy", he has a right to reply to the OP who requested opinions about the game.
Old 02-14-14, 07:29 PM   #10
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Been thinking. They should have made some type of demo or trial version. The price for this game is very high for many and it could be that not everyone like the game, after they have played it. It's a huge different from watching some videos and read comments and play the game on your own computer. Therefore Matrix should have made a demo or a trial of this game.

That's my opinion

Markus
Old 02-14-14, 07:58 PM   #11
Herman
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
Been thinking. They should have made some type of demo or trial version. The price for this game is very high for many and it could be that not everyone like the game, after they have played it. It's a huge different from watching some videos and read comments and play the game on your own computer. Therefore Matrix should have made a demo or a trial of this game.

That's my opinion

Markus
I totally agree with you except that there should be probably be a demo for each and every game, regardless of cost.

In my opinion, the most successful franchises are those who have a demo. I don't think you should blame Matrix, though. I think that decision to make a demo more likely resides with the developers and not the publisher (although Matrix publishers may have influence).

Matrix posted a long list of explanations as to why they are not in favour of demos. Personally, I found most of them simply unfounded excuses. To me, a demo is a statement of confidence in a product; the creators are so confident in their product that they WANT you to try it because they know that you will be hooked once you do! That's why you can test drive cars and taste food samples.

Many of the games with the greatest longevity and success (such as Harpoon, Flashpoint Campaigns, Steam and Iron, Dangerous Waters, and Global Conflict Blue) provided demos. Of course, it is not a hard and fast rule, by any means.

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Old 02-14-14, 08:34 PM   #12
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

My mistake. I thought it was Matrix who was behind the development for the game.

Markus
Old 02-15-14, 03:00 AM   #13
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

One thing to watch for when purchasing is the price you see (already quite high, imo) excludes taxes.
Old 02-15-14, 04:29 AM   #14
Sunburn
Warfaresims

Downloads: 2

Quote:
Hi there,

I am one of the creators of Command so naturally I am biased in its favor.

That said, I think the game represents incredible value if you take into account what you can do with it.
  • Low-tech machine guns, rockets and other unguided weapons in duels with pirates, smugglers and Iranian speedboats in the litoral? Check.
  • All-in naval engagements vs the Soviet/Russian or Chinese fleet? Can do.
  • Massive air battles equal to Desert Storm, WW3-Centfront or even larger? Yup.
  • Proper ballistic missiles (including MIRVs), ABM systems (both missiles and lasers) and satellites with realistic orbits? It's there.
  • Mine warfare? _Thousands_ of individual mines with solid performance (forget abstract "minefields"). Detailed mine-laying, mine-hunting and mine-sweeping ops & hardware.
  • Nuclear weapons? Everything from Little Boy and Fat man all the way to Yars, Bulava, DF-41 and whatever else the Russians and Chinese will churn out next week.
  • Baseline land combat, air-drop and amphib ops? Yes you can.
  • Currently available scenarios (86 at the moment) not giving you enough or not covering the situation you're interested in? Best-in-class scenario editor allows you to make your own battles, anywhere on the _planet_, with any forces and equipment since WW2. (This scenario took me about 2.5 hours to create and release, and most of that time was AI-testing).

So by the time you gather your other favorite games into a collection matching the modeling/simulation breadth and depth that Command offers, you'll have run up a tab much higher than Command's price.

"Game X can do this or that thing better than Command and is cheaper" may be true but is also missing the point. Command is a game for those who want to do this thing, and that thing, and that other thing, and all millions of the little things that make up modern air-nav tactical/operational warfare in one package. It is, in many respects, the air/naval counterpart of TOAW; and just like it's pointless to compare TOAW with e.g. a tank sim or any of the games covering a specific conflict, it is likewise futile to compare any single air or naval sim to Command.

Of course you don't have to take my word for it. Take a look at our press & awards page: http://www.warfaresims.com/?page_id=1917, which includes lavish praise from people who know their stuff on serious wargaming.
Come and talk to existing users (many of them veterans of other air or naval games like DW) and ask them about their experiences: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1154
Or even ask on Usenet's historical wargames group, arguably the toughest bunch of wargaming critics you're ever likely to encounter, their take on Command: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!fo...war-historical

And even if you decide not to get Command, stick around. The community we're building benefits from the contribution of all students of the air-nav art, be they customers of the game or not.

Thanks!
Sunburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-14, 04:37 PM   #15
tommo8993
Helmsman

Downloads: 17

Yeah, i would certainly say its worth it.
tommo8993 is offline   Reply With Quote