SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion > Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-02-13, 06:43 PM   #16
Herman
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 269
Uploads: 1046

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM1969 View Post
Maybe this is incorrect though so Herman can you clarify if you were the one who contacted Sim HQ and offered to do a review and they were aware you were involved or did you have someone else act as an intermediary? I always like to hear both sides of the story though so Herman do you feel you have been completely open and honest with everyone at Sim HQ?
I was in contact with SimHQ under my real name at all times.

Quote:
I worry that Herman & Vincenzo, whilst claiming not to, do have their own agenda. I suspect they see CMANO as a threat. They love making mods for Harpoon and are unable to edit the DB in CMANO. I get the feeling they think if CMANO succeeds they'll have nobody left to make mods for.
The premise is illogical. Any mod relies upon a game. There is absolutely no economic benefit from a mod and neither of us has any official connection to the game's owners. In fact, Vincenzo pays for a support site out of his own pocket and asks for nothing in return. The site is open for all to use and will support any game (including MNO). Anyone wanting to post files there are welcome to do so.

Anyone who presumes that either Vincenzo or I would wish ill upon another has not been reading closely. We are constantly helping folks build databases and scenarios. I went to help the Colombian Navy with nothing more than a request to, 'Please come.' The underlying motto remains: "Help All Who Ask". I had no intention of writing a review, but only did so after getting numerous requests for one. I decided to help them all instead of one person at a time.

Quote:
They may have nothing to gain from a monetary point of view but do they have a vested interest in preventing CMANO succeeding and taking people away from their Harpoon DB, scenarios and mods? You make your own decision. I saw arguments like this tear the Harpoon community apart and fear it will happen again.
Again, the premise is illogical. The success or failure of one game has no bearing upon another. However, the conduct of the developers in the various fora should give users cause for concern. Any criticism or dissenting opinion is quickly met with an accusation of the reporter somehow being either Vincenzo or Herman i.e. "Hi Herman!" For the record, I am Spartacus. :-) The success or failure of the game rests upon the developers' ability to act responsibly; something not exemplified by their reaction to this review. Calling their critics Nazis (and worse) is not indicative of professionals.

Quote:
One last question Herman - what is the best game of this type in your opinion? You are very clear in your criticism but which game wins and why? I'm sure others would be interested. You are very good at specific details so I'd be interested in specific details on what your favourite game is.
This game has potential. Anyone reading the review will see that reported. It is just very unpolished and user-unfriendly in its current state. This is poor design as opposed to the bugginess of Harpoon ANW.

An MNO player (who had never played Harpoon) dropped in on one of our MP sessions and just watched us play. He was simply agog at how fast and quickly we were able to move things, see things, find things, track things, add things, etc. He kept asking, "How are you doing THAT so quickly?" I didn't even have to play MNO to know that they were in trouble. If a twenty-yr. old game can do anything better than your new one, the problem does not lie with the older game.

Harpoon ANW is riddled with bugs, but that does not mean it doesn't have a whole lotta good ideas. MNO duplicated a lot of the functions and were given credit for doing so in the review. IMO, they need to duplicate a whole lot more of the good ideas instead of just trying to shoe-horn them into the present game.

I want to play MNO more. Unfortunately, I find it a chore to play instead of a pleasure.

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it
4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions
Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-13, 01:34 AM   #17
HM1969
Nub

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

You keep using the term illogical which explains everything that has happened in Harpoon community. Just because it is illogical doesn't mean it isn't happening.

You Also keep stating that you have nothing to gain financially and this means you have no vested interest. As I explained your interest is not financial but based on 20 years investment in the Harpoon system. This kind of vested interest is far more personal. Harpoon seems to be your entire life based on the amount of time you put in to it.

I still am of the opinion you want the game to fail because you do not want to lose your little empire and see it crumbling away. Quite frankly I do not believe you when you say you have nothing to lose. If you didn't you would not be pursuing this so vigorously.

Yes the devs did react badly when they first heard about your review and there were some knee jerk reactions which they seem to reject. Since then though they have been nothing but professional ignoring the stream of attacks fro some quarters. While I think their comments were wrong I can see how it happened when they were so invested.

On your comments about a 20 year old UI I have an alternative interpretation. Maybe, just maybe, the UI you have been using every day for 20 years is so completely 2nd nature to you that any other UI is hard to get to grips with. That doesn't make the new UI bad - that makes you inflexible.

On your comments about which is the best game I'm still unclear. You are very good at avoiding giving a hard answer so that you can't be held accountable for it later.

So maybe it is you who is the problem and not the game

As I said I have not played it yet but the attitude I see here makes me sick for the developers who have out years of work in to this labor of love. Maybe I am wrong and it's all conspiracy but enough of this just looks wrong to me to make me think at least some of this doesn't add up as you suggest.
HM1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-13, 02:05 AM   #18
Hawk66
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 36

Frankly, I do not understand this heated debate about a review. A review is a review and always reflect the author's opinion - so it is never neutral.

Look at the reviews of other games...you often find a rating range between 50 and 90 %...even for universal acclaimed 'good' games.

I've read his review and you can argue that he viewed the game with a bit of negative attitude but I would not consider it as unfair.
Old 10-03-13, 07:56 AM   #19
Herman
Ace of the Deep

The game cannot 'fail' since the developers have stated that they are not involved to make money. Therefore, no definition of failure is possible. Even if the game makes no money, they will continue.

And I see your agenda here. It isn't to see a response to an answer, but to find something to which I can somehow be held 'accountable'.

So maybe it is you who is the problem and not the review.

Since you are unclear, I'll repeat the answer. Harpoon is a good design that is plagued with poor programming, QA, and bugs. MNO is more functional, but has made some poor design decisions. When asked about games, I do not pick one over another. I point out the good and bad of each and allow everyone to make their own decision. I deal in facts and not innuendo.

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Old 10-03-13, 12:30 PM   #20
biosthetique
Lieutenant

Downloads: 652

@HM1969:
I did not read the Herman's review. But with you trial of intention, you seem suspect of a cover up, and I have re-installed Larry Bond's HARPOON Ultimate edition on my computer, and will indulge myself.

And if I need support, I will be glad to ask Herman's help to your great dismay!

So long bilge rat!
biosthetique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-13, 01:48 PM   #21
HM1969
Nub

Downloads: 0

It's not about the review it's about the clear attempt to blacken the developers name. He must have known the effect having him writs a review would have on them. He set the trap and waited for them to react and he assumed they self destruct and destroy their own community in the process.

When googling for other info on command I found Herman posting his review claiming some cover up on a Greek military site of all places. Does that sound rational and reasonable. All because a developer doesn't want a link to his review on their site . Hardly surprising considering the history. Somehow he's managed to convince people he's the victim of a corporate coverup.

Herman cleverly refuses to answer direct questions and gives carefully worded vague answers. He is clearly intelligent. Very intelligent. It's a shame the effort and ability is not put to something constructive.

He won't say which game he thinks is best for fear of being held accountable for his views. Have the guts to say what you really think Herman and stop hiding behind clever words!
HM1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-13, 11:27 AM   #22
biosthetique
Lieutenant

Downloads: 652

Excellent review Herman, as it is a strong CAVEAT EMPTOR, yet necessary for a $108,00 game.

I should have read it earlier, but with all the negative noise around it, it kept me away from it!...

I am glad I finally read it after returning the game, otherwise they would have blamed it on you!
biosthetique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-13, 02:14 PM   #23
Herman
Ace of the Deep

Some people read the review and hate it (and still buy the game).
http://www.wargamer.com/forums/posts...89&pg=1#642615

Currently, the video has as many Dislike votes as Like votes. That is about as fair as one can expect.

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it