SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-01-20, 02:18 AM   #1
thewiraffeko
Nub

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Nebie to SH 4 need help

As the title says. I redescovered a copy of SH4 and decided to play it because why not? Problem is I've never played a SH game before and I'm having a hard time understanding the mechanics of the game. open source software

I know how to move my submarine, how to plot a course and how to look for enemy ships (more or less, I've watched a video about it), problem is I always seem to run out of fuel pretty soon and I can't for the life of me complete my first mission to scout Hiroshima.

If you know of any good guides (preferably written, not a great fan of videos) I'd be very grateful. Obviously all the tips you can give are welcome!

If anyone wants to help I have some more specific questions in mind. Thanks in advance to everyone.

Last edited by thewiraffeko; 10-02-20 at 09:34 AM.
thewiraffeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-20, 06:23 AM   #2
mikesn9
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 68

see the stickies at the top of page? There is lots of help there in several discussions.
Important question you will get here.. what version of SH4 are you running?
On the splash page you see a version number : 1.3, 1.4, or 1.5

are you doing a single mission or career?

I spent the cold war under water.
mikesn9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-20, 12:06 PM   #3
wade88
Swabbie

Downloads: 31

You can turn the limited fuel off if you want, or if you want to use realistic fuel usage running at all ahead full and all ahead flank sucks down diesel like a top fuel dragster swills methanol. For economy try all ahead two thirds or all ahead standard.
Old 10-01-20, 12:08 PM   #4
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

thewiraffeko!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-20, 02:25 PM   #5
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewiraffeko View Post
As the title says. I redescovered a copy of SH4 and decided to play it because why not? Problem is I've never played a SH game before and I'm having a hard time understanding the mechanics of the game.

I know how to move my submarine, how to plot a course and how to look for enemy ships (more or less, I've watched a video about it), problem is I always seem to run out of fuel pretty soon and I can't for the life of me complete my first mission to scout Hiroshima.

If you know of any good guides (preferably written, not a great fan of videos) I'd be very grateful. Obviously all the tips you can give are welcome!

If anyone wants to help I have some more specific questions in mind. Thanks in advance to everyone.
welcome to subsim.

try reading some of THEBERBSTERs hints, etc.
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=219029

i echo what others have offered: use the Options to turn off fuel usage until you get more familiar with the mechanics, etc. that is what the Options are for.

also, keep in mind, that playing Single Missions and War Patrols use the Options on the Home Page.
if/when you decide to play a Career, there is a different set of Options. for US careers, use the Radio Set on the left when you are in port. For German careers, use the File Cabinet at the upper right of the in port screen.

also, start reading up on the advanced memory use tools. SH4 was written for a very different operating environment than we use today. Refer to CapnScurvy's Large Aware Address thread https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...35#post2452635 and NTCore 4GB Patch(https://ntcore.com/?page_id=371). You only need one of them as they provide the same functionality.

good luck.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-20, 01:26 PM   #6
jimmbbo
Run silent, run deep

Downloads: 59

Welcome!

As posted, the SubSim forum is chock full of great information from enthusiasts who keep the game alive. Also there are numerous great YouTube videos for playing SH4. Search SH4 on YT and check RockinRobbins 13's channel

As far as running out of fuel, I agree with setting the unlimited fuel option, and after you gain a comfort level with operating the boat, the sweet spot for long range ops is 1/3 power as the engines use progressively more fuel per mile.
When you remove the unlimited fuel training wheels, a good rule of thumb is to return to base (RTB) before the fuel level reaches 50% unless there is a refit port nearby. Running a productive mission and running out of fuel 15 miles from a resupply point or home port can ruin your day... don't ask how I know...
Good hunting, Kaleun!
jimmbbo is offline   Reply With Quote