Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 03-08-08, 05:03 PM   #16
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by XabbaRus
If that is teh case can't I download it compile it and then I have CFS3.

Still I think it is cheap that they are charging. If it was a donation for bandwidth like happened on subsim for the SHII mods etc fine but this sounds like a chance to make a profit.
Like I said, not 100% sure about the source code thingy. And yes, I have to say again, charging from it at this point is cheap-ish.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-08, 05:15 PM   #17
XabbaRus
Navy Seal

Downloads: 5

Can anyone confirm as i did a google search and nothing came up that was 100%
Old 03-08-08, 05:59 PM   #18
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by XabbaRus
Can anyone confirm as i did a google search and nothing came up that was 100%
What you on to, mate? :hmm:
Old 03-11-08, 08:38 PM   #19
Slice
Swabbie

Downloads: 0

yeah right, a few 100 orders divided by 10 or so guys makes such a huge profit. Give the guys a break it's not like it's a few textures, or the odd plane - it's a total change from a poor sim to a great sim with all the extra stuff. If you like WW1 then there is nothing else anywhere near it, $50 well worth it some people in that forum been there since the first Part1 released in 2005 and still playing.
Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-08, 09:01 PM   #20
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice
yeah right, a few 100 orders divided by 10 or so guys makes such a huge profit. Give the guys a break it's not like it's a few textures, or the odd plane - it's a total change from a poor sim to a great sim with all the extra stuff. If you like WW1 then there is nothing else anywhere near it, $50 well worth it some people in that forum been there since the first Part1 released in 2005 and still playing.
But the point is that with Phase 2, the game is pretty much complete, a total conversion. What one has to pay for with Phase 3, is few new features, not the whole mod. And the way they ask the money "for future developement yadda yadda yadda.", they've done the mod for years without financial support and I cant think of what those "developement costs" are.
Old 03-12-08, 02:17 PM   #21
Slice
Swabbie

The new features in the new list looks amazing - I'd say you could easily run up costs if you buy quality art programs for example, or better PCs etc. I don't be grudge a few dollars. 3DS Max, Photoshop, OS's to test etc are expensive. A 3D engine if it's a quality one will cost many 1000. Unreal 3 is about $1,000,000 so I guess that is out lol.

There's a clear choice it's not like they are saying hey that program you have
on your hard drive now, delete it, or pay for it --you can still play that for free forever.

Anyway we'll soon know if it is worth it when it comes out and people tell us what it is like.
Old 03-12-08, 02:29 PM   #22
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice
The new features in the new list looks amazing - I'd say you could easily run up costs if you buy quality art programs for example, or better PCs etc. I don't be grudge a few dollars. 3DS Max, Photoshop, OS's to test etc are expensive. A 3D engine if it's a quality one will cost many 1000. Unreal 3 is about $1,000,000 so I guess that is out lol.
There's alternatives to many programs you mentioned, for free. And like I said earlier, why put a price tag to it now, after 4 years?

Quote:
There's a clear choice it's not like they are saying hey that program you have
on your hard drive now, delete it, or pay for it --you can still play that for free forever.
Yeh, that is if you have the mod saved somewhere as they took it off the site.
Old 03-12-08, 06:21 PM   #23
Slice
Swabbie

Of course if there was little new that's true, but even so it's up to them, they made it. But looking at the list there is a load of godo new stuff so for me well worth it (for AI changes alone for me lol!)

They want to buy a NEW game engine, then they can make a whole better game. I guess they work for a living not work for a big publisher who has a few million to buy engines, and programmers etc.

I never saw files hosted on other sites though? There is a message just a reminder that the files are theirs , which is true, they made it. I have no right for example to demand a download. All along they carefully retained copyright and that's their right at the end of the day. Hell 2GB more of new skins according to the info there on Phase 3 so that will be 4GB of skins alone done by artists (2GB from P2 which also I guess some may have been redone, changed so on) - up to them what they do with that. For all we know each artist may have have retained copyright on their stuff. Hard to say who is right.

Yeah like you say each person has to judge what things are worth - some people in SOH forum cannot wait -but each to his own as they say.
Old 03-12-08, 06:48 PM   #24
Dowly
Lucky Jack

I'd be curious to know what kind of engine they are planning to buy. Obviously, if it is for a flight sim, there isnt that many around. They should then either get someone to build them one (several thousands of dollars) or to buy a good existing one (most propably tens of thousands of dollars or even hundreds of thousands). Let's face it, check any loooow budget game, a) they look usually crap and b) the engine is very limited, so thinking with those 2 points in mind, if they'd want an engine that is better than the CFS3's, it would cost them thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars. An amount they cant gather by making the Phase 3 payware, they'd need an publisher willing to support them.
Old 03-12-08, 07:03 PM   #25
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

My bets for this right now would be on "Merlin" which is owned by Shockwave, who inherited it from Rowan's BoB (and made BoB 2), and is presently being used and updated - allegedly both by Shockwave and another new developer - to make new sims. :hmm:

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-08, 07:10 PM   #26
Slice
Swabbie

Good point dowly, maybe if P3 is popular they can at least fund a start of development to take something along to a publisher.

Sounds good CCIP maybe that is so.
Old 03-12-08, 07:11 PM   #27
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCIP
My bets for this right now would be on "Merlin" which is owned by Shockwave, who inherited it from Rowan's BoB (and made BoB 2), and is presently being used and updated - allegedly both by Shockwave and another new developer - to make new sims. :hmm:
Aye, that one came to my mind the first too. Shockwave supports pretty openly modders and give few selected one's "inside info", like the BDG group for BoBII that has taken the control over on patching the game further from Shockwave. That would actually be pretty great engine for an WWII flightsim.
Old 03-12-08, 07:14 PM   #28
Slice
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhayl
Hell, modders selling their stuff is already mmmh "unusual" to say the least,
Team Fortress 2 started as a mod for Quakeworld, Red Orchestra started as a mod for unreal, you have to start somewhere I guess.
Firepower is a mod and not cheap when it came out either with not a lot different than even just the new stuff in Phase 3 list. There are no "rules".

Oh yeah I bought all of those yikes

Maybe someone's wife threatend to club em to death if they didn't recoup some cost for 4 yeras worth of evenings spent doing it ?
Old 03-12-08, 07:22 PM   #29
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCIP
Aye, that one came to my mind the first too. Shockwave supports pretty openly modders and give few selected one's "inside info", like the BDG group for BoBII that has taken the control over on patching the game further from Shockwave. That would actually be pretty great engine for an WWII flightsim.
Yea, personally I'd be surprised if it's something else. As far as I'm aware, Shockwave is actually quite happy to license out Merlin and they probably would not charge a terrible lot for it, seeing how they themselves are in the same market niche. And there isn't really any other engines going around that would work very well for it either. I doubt they would be going for either IL-2 or any of its successors/derivatives since Knights of the Sky is already covering that route. Third Wire have already done their own WWI game, their engine isn't complex enough for something like OFF either. And there isn't really any other engines on the market that I'm aware of.

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-08, 07:24 AM   #30
XabbaRus
Navy Seal

Downloads: 5

But how can they use a new engine when the Phase 3 requires CFS3, it is a MOD of CFS 3. So unless they are making a new standalone WWI flight sim I think they are trying to justify things.

It's not for download either so the money charged isn't for hosting costs which would be high, so with the price of DVD;s and postage not being much I see it all for profit.

They might own the rights to the skins and the models but seeing as it needs CFS3 to work I don't think they could do anything should MS come along and use it.