SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-20-21, 06:00 AM   #196
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

I think he pressed for a win at his home GP after the season has not gone so well for him and him not being in the fornt anyway. Shooting verstappen off may have been an expression of frustration and rage to enforce a scoring this time at the top. That Verstappen was additonally unable to score minor points him self, is an additional plus. That Hamilton afetzr the race posed and "celebrated"excessively again may be a result of human psychology: posing as the innocent man who knows of no own faults to send the message that everything is alright. But he may know himself that he did wrong there, pushed way too aggressively at least, and later again, I see in TV snippets, against LeClerk.

And no, I am not a Verstappen fan, that guy has drivenm me off long time ago already.

The whole F1 however is a joke nowadays. I do not seriously care.
Old 08-01-21, 10:47 AM   #197
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Alpine’s Esteban Ocon has claimed his maiden Formula 1 victory in what was without doubt one of the most thrilling Hungarian Grands Prix of all time, ahead of Aston Martin’s Sebastian Vettel – while Lewis Hamilton recovered from being last at one point to claim P3, as Max Verstappen could only take 10th after Lap 1 contact in a crash that triggered a red flag.

A wild and wet start to the Hungarian Grand Prix saw five drivers eliminated on the first lap, as Valtteri Bottas locked up and wiped out Lando Norris and Sergio Perez – as well as hitting Verstappen – while Lance Stroll also locked up and hit Charles Leclerc, who spun around Daniel Ricciardo, with Bottas, Perez, Norris, Stroll and Leclerc all forced into retirement as the race was red flagged.

Polesitter Hamilton had made it through unscathed, but Mercedes misjudged track conditions at the race restart, keeping Hamilton out for the standing start on intermediates as the entire rest of the field pitted for mediums, Hamilton forced to pit a lap later and dropping to the back of the pack.

That allowed Ocon to take a lead that he’d hold for almost all the 70 laps at the Hungarian, holding off the race-long advances of Vettel to take his first single seater win since 2015, as Vettel secured his second P2 of the season after a fine drive.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-21, 12:07 PM   #198
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

That was ugly and I was actually hoping Alonso and Sainz would keep Lewis off the podium although that would be punishing Lewis for his teamates huge error. A five place grid penalty is big but not as big as getting several cars to DNF and nearly putting Verstapen out. The Mercedes merely put Max out of the running this time and I hope they choke on their podium finish.

Mercedes is fast becoming my top choice for most disliked team.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie

Last edited by Buddahaid; 08-01-21 at 12:28 PM.
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-21, 06:41 AM   #199
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Aston Martin's Sebastian Vettel has been disqualified after finishing second in the Hungarian Grand Prix.

Officials were unable to take the mandatory one-litre sample of fuel from Vettel's car after the race.

The decision would promote Mercedes' Lewis Hamilton to second place and extend his championship lead over Red Bull's Max Verstappen to eight points.

But, unconventionally, for the time being Vettel has been left in the final results pending the appeal outcome.

Governing body the FIA said it was possible to pump out only 0.3 litres from Vettel's car, and that it was no defence to claim no performance advantage was obtained.

F1 rules dictate teams must ensure a one-litre sample of fuel can be taken from the car at any time during the event.

Running less fuel can give a performance advantage as each 1kg of fuel equates to an average of about 0.035secs a lap.

Hungarian Grand Prix stewards said: "The team was given several opportunities to attempt to remove the required amount of fuel from the tank, however it was only possible to pump 0.3 litres out."

Team principal Otmar Szafnauer and technical director Andrew Green said there was 1.44 litres left in the car, but they were unable to extract that much. https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/58050375

Old 08-02-21, 08:00 AM   #200
CheckSix
Watch

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
I see merit in all the posts above but don't think Hamilton acted as he did with dark motives in his head.
I would respectfully suggest that his entering the corner 20kmh faster than he had at any time previously during the weekend (according to Red Bull) is more than just a coincidental discrepancy.
CheckSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-21, 08:18 AM   #201
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post

Mercedes is fast becoming my top choice for most disliked team.
Welcome to the club

Nothing malicious in it, but that's two weeks straight where Merc took out the competition and then went on to score big points themselves. Surely the gods will be making good on what has transpired over the past two events.

Congrats to Ocon for his win. While events had to conspire to hand him the victory, he still took it with both hands and was relentless. A fantastic drive with the focus and pressure squarely on him. Vettel was nipping at his exhaust the entire way but Ocon didn't put a foot wrong and deserves his moment in the sun.

And it wouldn't have been possible had Alonso not got his elbows out defending against Hamilton. Their battle was thrilling and I was on the edge of my seat. That was F1 at its finest. Ironically it was the fact that Hungary is such a lousy race track that we ended up with such thrilling racing. At just about any other track, save Monaco perhaps, Hamilton would have quickly gotten by I think.

That start. My goodness. Bottas got it all wrong after a terrible start and took out half the top of the order. I just couldn't believe it, as the broadcast view went wide and I watched as first Max then Perez were clobbered boom, boom. Real head in the hands stuff. Max had gotten a great start, not to mentioned Lando, and Bottas just bottled it and ruined all their races. That's two weeks in a row that Merc took their competition out of the race. Bottas is far too experienced for that. Max did well to at least finish in the points, but with that massive damage on a track with little overtaking he was doomed. Beyond the race, the cost of these repairs is a killer, as we are under a spending cap and that's a few million in damage over the past two races. Money Red Bull cannot now spend on 2022. And two ICE's which are limited to three for each car for the season, likely leading to some grid penalties down the line for Red Bull. None of it was intentional on Merc's part I don't think, but the damage is still done and it's massively frustrating. Stroll's spearing of Lerlerc was boneheaded, to add to the carnage.

Kimi finished 11th. Haha, see I told you. But that becomes a 10th if Vettel's DQ stands. Both Williams in the points! Both Alpha Tauris too.

Ocon's win was the first for a French driver, with a French car with a French engine since Prost in 1983.

But yeah, another day when I wish I were a neutral. Max has had horrible luck. First his left rear explodes in Baku from the lead. Then Hamilton punts him off the track at Silverstone. Then Bottas takes him out in Hungary. He managed to finish, but still. That leaves Hamilton leading the championship and it feels unwarranted. Here's hoping for better fortune ahead.

Last edited by Threadfin; 08-02-21 at 12:53 PM.
Threadfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-21, 04:42 AM   #202
Cyborg322
Scurvy Dog of the Deep

Downloads: 349

Best race of the season so far, can't help feeling sorry for Vettel this should not of happened the technology is there to allow less fuel consumption the pit control should of done that. Rules are rules tho.

Just as a point of intertest the Alpine is not strictly a 100% french car. Its Anglo-French. The factories are in Viry-Chatillon France and the Enstone factory in the UK . A lot of the chasis development for F1 cars are in the UK . It is of course a Renualt powerplant

Simon

Last edited by Cyborg322; 08-04-21 at 05:05 AM.
Cyborg322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-21, 01:55 PM   #203
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Red Bull's Max Verstappen was declared the winner of a Belgian Grand Prix that lasted two laps behind the safety car.

Heavy rain prevented any competitive racing at the Spa-Francorchamps track.

The start was delayed by half an hour before two attempts were made to start the race - with a gap of nearly three hours between them.

But conditions were deemed too dangerous and the red flag was flown after two and a half laps behind the safety car.

The result was therefore declared from the grid order, with Verstappen ahead of Williams driver George Russell and Mercedes' Lewis Hamilton.

Two laps was enough to award half points, according to the regulations, so Verstappen has cut Hamilton's championship lead to three points.
What a shambles

Old 08-29-21, 01:57 PM   #204
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 08-30-21, 07:29 AM   #205
Cyborg322
Scurvy Dog of the Deep

Downloads: 349

Ridiculous result, how is that fair ? Why start the race in the first place ?
Old 08-30-21, 09:40 AM   #206
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

You try one last time to start on the chance enough water will be dispersed. It wasn't.

Fair? As fair as any qualifying session can be considered fair. At least Red Bull didn't get taken out by Mercedes.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-21, 01:35 PM   #207
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 38

Not sure what the better alternative is to what was done. Zero points? OK, maybe. Hard to argue that it is better or worse than what was done. I don't know what the answer is frankly, but I'm OK with what was done. Max outscored everyone, so that's good from my point of view, but no one wants it this way.

If the race cannot be run but qualifying is complete I think this is probably the best way to go about it rather than just strike the event from the record. I can see merit in the claim that no points should be awarded, but they were forced to go with one or the other, and I don't have a problem with this decision on what was a unique set of circumstances.
Old 09-05-21, 09:50 AM   #208
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Max Verstappen has moved back to the head of the drivers’ standings, after winning the Dutch Grand Prix at Zandvoort over title rival Lewis Hamilton, sending his home fans into ecstasy, as the second Mercedes of Valtteri Bottas completed the podium.

In the first Dutch Grand Prix since 1985, Verstappen led away from pole, keeping Hamilton at bay throughout the 72-lap encounter around the sweeping Zandvoort track, to bring home his seventh win of the season, as Hamilton had to settle for second, the seven-time champion stopping with two laps to go for softs.

Bottas was a comfortable third, despite his own late stop for soft tyres, with Bottas appearing to then ignore team orders not to attempt to take the fastest lap bonus point away from Hamilton – only for Hamilton to claim it anyway on the final lap.

Old 09-05-21, 09:55 AM   #209
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 09-05-21, 10:05 AM   #210
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat