SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-18-20, 06:29 AM   #1
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 0

Default Animal Crossing? I don't get it

Yesterday was The Frau's birthday and I was grateful that she gave me a list. We are both far too old for this "surprise me" crap nor do we have any space for surprise gifts that we really can't or won't use.

Among some other stuffage, she asked for a Nintendo Switch. She is a bigger gamer than I am so this was not unexpected. Well gaming platforms are pretty boring without games so I asked what games she wanted. Only one (at this time). Animal Crossing.

OK, Her birthday, her gift, her decision.

I have to admit that the Nintendo Switch is pretty easy to set up. Normally I was anticipating an evening of juggling cables and running setups a million times. This was pretty smooth. Good on Nintendo.

So I sat back and watched her play Animal Crossing.

After an hour, I still did not get it. Supposedly this game has a large adult following and one of our friends is a fanatic about it. I don't get it.

Going around picking up stuff and shaking trees. It did give me a chance to use my ol' "Shaking the bushes boss" joke but she did not get the joke. She has no appreciation for classic movies.

I went to bed but she stayed up for about four more hours. I am looking forward to her telling me if the game got any more exciting.

The thing is that the game seems too complicated for little kids, but it seems designed for little kids.

But it is probably just me. Our grand daughter showed me Minecraft and I had a similar impression.

I guess I will just have to go back to my Zork game.

Is there anyone here who plays Animal Crossing?
Old 09-19-20, 01:53 PM   #2
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

No, but I played ArmA 3, which is in principle the same thing: trees, people, and social interacting.

Old 09-19-20, 07:05 PM   #3
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Downloads: 527
Uploads: 5

My 30 year old Youth Group leader plays Animal Crossing....

A game meant for 7 year olds.

I'm not very active on the forums anymore. If you have a question, please DM me and I'll respond ASAP!
Texas Red is offline   Reply With Quote