SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-22-18, 07:43 AM   #1
kikinado
Swabbie

Downloads: 19
Uploads: 0
Default SH4 no run on WIN 10??

guys? any help? I cant, just cant start SH4 on win10, spent about 2hrs trying diff things. Any advise? thx a lot
kikinado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-18, 09:33 AM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

It runs rather well on Win10, but you do have to make some changes to a few things. The best all-round thread for info would be THEBERBSTER's SH4 <> TUTORIALS <> HOW TO DO IT <> INFO <> DOWNLOAD LINKS -STICKY INDEX - up near the top of that is his "banner" for "Important Information For Windows 10 Problem Solving". One of the pages linked to further down that page is CapnScurvy's Windows10; Large Address Aware; SH4 Install, which touches on a lot of subjects having to do with Win10 & SH4 - highly recommended for what you have now.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-18, 10:13 AM   #3
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikinado View Post
guys? any help? I cant, just cant start SH4 on win10, spent about 2hrs trying diff things. Any advise? thx a lot

Welcome to Subsim, kikinado. Happy to have you with us.

Other than having Win 10, tell what you have tried to do. Have you installed DX 9.0c? What type of computer are you currently using? Basically, we need more information. AS propbeanie mentioned, SH4 runs very well on Win 10.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-18, 02:27 PM   #4
kikinado
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post
Welcome to Subsim, kikinado. Happy to have you with us.

Other than having Win 10, tell what you have tried to do. Have you installed DX 9.0c? What type of computer are you currently using? Basically, we need more information. AS propbeanie mentioned, SH4 runs very well on Win 10.
I did install DX9, using mid tech comp now(Intel core 3.5Ghz, 16Gb Memory, 4Gb Nvidia 950M)
did follow instuctions on LAA, it show its running, but nothing happening.
Did install NetFramework too, game running in Task Manager, but thats it.
Just a noob, very dissapointed that windows not supporting this automatically backwards, spent 3 hrs trying to solve this, fed up honestlly.
Thx for Ideas thou guys
Old 08-22-18, 04:58 PM   #5
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default W

kikinado!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-18, 08:35 PM   #6
propbeanie

My post - it's gone...

That's what happens when you leave the computer and walk off, allowing Aktungbby to stick his foot in the door and post a greeting...

Anyway, kikinado - go to the game folder with SH4, and right-click on the SH4.exe file. On the resultant context menu, left-click on "Properties" at the bottom of the list. Click on the "Compatibility" tab. Down towards the bottom of that tab is a "Change high DPI settings" button. When you click on it, it will open a new little dialog. Click the lower tick box, "Overide high DPI scaling behavior." Leave the dropdown set on Application. OK, OK, etc., and try to run SH4 again. It might also be that if it is already ticked, you have to put it back. Kind of depends upon the card, the driver, Windows, and where Aquarius is in the night sky... tic - You could also try "Run this program as an administrator", but it will give you another UAC pop-up to deal with each time...

One thing about this 10+ year old game is that it is beyond "legacy" as far as Windows is concerned. You ~have~ to install the DirectX v9.0c that came with the game. The reason being, that DirectX10 and on do NOT have some dll file(s) that SH4 needs to run the 3D portion of its little world. Installing an older DirectX over what you have will not overwrite the newer install, but will put the needed file(s) in-place...

Not only that, but with an LCD display monitor, you ~should~ use its "Native" resolution in Windows, and hope that SH4 will display one that matches it in its Options menu. That way, all displays fine... usually... There are other little things to try in THEBERBSTER's link.

Now, as a little side note, my Win10 laptop updated today (does this ~never~ stop??). One of the newest "features" I've now found in Windoze, is that when I fire up SH4, Windows will now minimize the game (seemingly arbitrarily), and pop-up this little dialog in the lower-right corner that says "Hi! This is Cortana! While you were in the game, this happened..." What I wanna know, is who is this "Cortana" chick, and why is she shelling out to Windows with my "legacy" game running, thereby ruining its "environment"?? (Another little treat from "legacy" games is that they expect an uninterrupted "stream" of computer use - Win10 doesn't like that, I guess)...

Old 08-23-18, 11:51 AM   #7
kikinado
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
My post - it's gone...

That's what happens when you leave the computer and walk off, allowing Aktungbby to stick his foot in the door and post a greeting...

Anyway, kikinado - go to the game folder with SH4, and right-click on the SH4.exe file. On the resultant context menu, left-click on "Properties" at the bottom of the list. Click on the "Compatibility" tab. Down towards the bottom of that tab is a "Change high DPI settings" button. When you click on it, it will open a new little dialog. Click the lower tick box, "Overide high DPI scaling behavior." Leave the dropdown set on Application. OK, OK, etc., and try to run SH4 again. It might also be that if it is already ticked, you have to put it back. Kind of depends upon the card, the driver, Windows, and where Aquarius is in the night sky... tic - You could also try "Run this program as an administrator", but it will give you another UAC pop-up to deal with each time...

One thing about this 10+ year old game is that it is beyond "legacy" as far as Windows is concerned. You ~have~ to install the DirectX v9.0c that came with the game. The reason being, that DirectX10 and on do NOT have some dll file(s) that SH4 needs to run the 3D portion of its little world. Installing an older DirectX over what you have will not overwrite the newer install, but will put the needed file(s) in-place...

Not only that, but with an LCD display monitor, you ~should~ use its "Native" resolution in Windows, and hope that SH4 will display one that matches it in its Options menu. That way, all displays fine... usually... There are other little things to try in THEBERBSTER's link.

Now, as a little side note, my Win10 laptop updated today (does this ~never~ stop??). One of the newest "features" I've now found in Windoze, is that when I fire up SH4, Windows will now minimize the game (seemingly arbitrarily), and pop-up this little dialog in the lower-right corner that says "Hi! This is Cortana! While you were in the game, this happened..." What I wanna know, is who is this "Cortana" chick, and why is she shelling out to Windows with my "legacy" game running, thereby ruining its "environment"?? (Another little treat from "legacy" games is that they expect an uninterrupted "stream" of computer use - Win10 doesn't like that, I guess)...
You are a star mate, thx a lot for taking time to write this!!
Was enought to change the graphics settings to 640x480, aaaannnddd done lol!
Sunk first 4 merchants, spent all torps lol, not easy even on autosolution, forgot to play, played ages ago :-)
Thx a lot again
Old 08-23-18, 12:39 PM   #8
propbeanie

Are you stuck playing at 640x480? The "default" for the game is 1024x768, which for me, is still not good. I'm at 1280x1024 on a 4:3 LCD monitor, and it is fantastic. The laptop has a higher resolution, even though the screen is smaller, and I can't read the text, though the graphics are fantastic... Let us know about that, because several folks can help you there.

Old 08-23-18, 02:51 PM   #9
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > kikinado
Subsim <> Make A Donation <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
SH3 – 4 - 5 Tutorials > downloads > Other Useful Information > See Links in My Signature Below
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-18, 12:09 PM   #10
adrians69
Engineer

Downloads: 299

Set the game to run as admin as well in the .exe properties. This fixed it for me

Click here to view my MS Flight Simulator X, Silent Hunter, Space Shuttle Mission Simulator, X Plane 11 & Train Simulator 2020 screenshots!!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/adrians69/
adrians69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-22, 12:40 AM   #11
Vortex
Swabbie

Downloads: 41

I was also getting no response at all trying to run sh4.exe on Windows 10. What worked for me was first lowering my native desktop resolution down from '2560 x 1440' to '1024 x 768'. At this point I was then able to start the game > get into SH4 Options/Graphics settings and raise the game resolution (surprisingly 2560x1440 res WAS supported) > save the change and exit > then raise my desktop resolution back up again > and now restart the game (this time successfully) in its new higher resolution.
Vortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-22, 11:20 AM   #12
propbeanie

The SH4.exe Properties settings can do that to you. Refer to:
Post 194 & 195 in Silent Hunter 4 & Windows 10

Post 194 is what that user did, 195 has a picture.