Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-08-20, 07:14 AM   #2836
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Found myself a new hobby.

There are two of them, the first one, in the first clip to be seen, still needs assistance to lead him to the good stuff (opened lid), the other (to be seen in the first clip before the night shot), after one week still does not get it, and does not get nuts form isnide the box.

Some squirrels sometimes find an empty nut, others have an empty nut from birth on.

Last edited by Skybird; 10-08-20 at 07:26 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-20, 01:23 PM   #2837
Skybird
Soaring

My little friends have gotten used to it. The brighter one with tail and body having the same light copper colour, is a male, I call him Kira, and the darker hazelnut-coloured with almost black tail, is a girl, maybe the mother, named Taro. I originally misindenjtife dboth genders, thats why the names are mistakedn. There is a third one which unfortunately never shows up, Sira. Could be the other kid of Taro.

They still do niot like the clapping sound of the lid when they move in and out, and alarm-start when it happens, thats why I have blocked it a bit, but rain and winds find easier way inside, thats why I want them to get used to the lid being fully rested in its defalt position so that the opening is as small as the design was planned.

Squirrel-TV, I could watch it for hours. Squirrels bring joy into your life. I smile and grin all the time. Would become a rehabber of lost baby squirrels myself if my living circumstances (flat) would be better suited, but they aren't, I cannot build an outside voliere and have no space in my appartement, unfortunately, while all other variables are met: I have the love for the animals, some needed knoweldge, plenty of free time (nursing young squirrels is incredibly exhaustive and demanding, if you had lets say four young baby squirrels, for many weeks your life runs in 100-minute intervals, and that means: each and every aspect of your life does, inclduign sleep).

Old 10-15-20, 01:03 PM   #2838
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

^ All very nice

BUT..... we must now gird our loins for the ordeal to come; something the likes of of which we have never had to put up with before and hopefully never will again... and no, I don't mean Covid 19. I mean:

"Look, Honey... on the Subsim channel... they're having a new game show called Whac-A-Dick! I'm calling the studio to see whether they'll let me join in"
Old 10-18-20, 05:42 PM   #2839
Skybird
Soaring

Let it be known to everybody: if anyone ever dares to whack my two lovely cuties, his will be my eternal revenge and doom cast down upon him, and I will not rest until his soul lies in shattered pieces and smoldering ashes until the end of time. I do not forgive whacking squirrels.

Except they vote for Trump - then send in legions of pine martens.

Names are Kira and Taro. Kira is the male, bright fur, and tail and body are of almost same colour, Taro appears to be a female, its the one with dark hazelnut colour, and tail almost black, darker than the body. Kira seems to be a youngling, born this year, I think, and acts quite unexperienced, Taro maybe could be the mother, she is at least more experienced. Winter is coming and I fear for them, death rate amongst red squirrels is heart-breakingly high. 80% do not make it over the first winter, 90% do not live to see their third birthday, not even 1% make it to their fifth year - and this although the species, if taken good care of, can live for 10, 12, sometimes even up to 15 years!

Every late morning I exchange the SD card, see for the nut bar, and a bowl of water will soon follow, I just hang up a box with capok fibres (soft botanic wool) so that they can cushion their dreys and seal them better. I really want to do what I can to help the youngling over the winter, becasue its the first years since very many years that we have red squirrels in our street. Red squirrels start mating season already in Decembre, so any mummy squirrel hopefully will make good use of the nuts and the wool as well. Wish them luck, they really need it. Food supply in nature is very bad for the third year in a row, becasue it were so terribly dry years, the trees formed less nuts and tree fruits and dropped them too early in the year so that there is not enough left now in autumn when the little animals collect.

We have completely derailed nature and its balances, we should not stand away from the damage, but in our little lives do what we can and what is in reach to help the many little creatures around us to get over the days and months and yeras of their lives, which are short enough. I always felt that treating well Animals is the same like treatign well your own soul and what you do for them, last but not least you also do to your own well-beeing. Try it, if you never have. You will see its true.

And hunting - do it if you think you must to get your food. Hunting for eating the prey I leave to itself and do not complain, maybe I would sometimes do that myself if I were living such a life in an according place. But hunting for "sports" and "entertainment" and "trophies" makes me furious, I am absolutely unforgiving about killing for joy or fame or scores.

I would be a rehabber, if my living place would allow it. I have the time, the knowledge and the love for the little creatures to take that effort on me (and nursing young squirrels is an effort, believe me, and can be quite exhausting, becasue it is a full time day and night job). But I do not have the space, and no option for an "Auswilderungsvoliere" ( a huge cage used to train them to alienate themselves form humans again and become used to the sounds and temperatures ands things of living free).

Oh, I just noticed I repeated myself. Sorry.

Last edited by Skybird; 10-18-20 at 07:30 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-20, 06:49 PM   #2840
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

You are so lucky to get these; I haven't seen a red squirrel in years

In deference to you and your kind efforts we shall postpone the whacking of squirrels for now
Old 10-18-20, 07:39 PM   #2841
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichhörnchen View Post
You are so lucky to get these; I haven't seen a red squirrel in years
Yes, I know the drama you have in England with the grey ones. But i fear for tbe reds on the continent as well, the small grey population in Italy has broken out, passed through switzerland and austria and nkw has reached the Bodensee region. At the same time the dryness is destroying the conifers over here which give reds a small advantage over tbe greys, but in mixed forests, the greys wipe the reds out. I fear in the comi g 30 years the reds will dissapear in germany, too. And then tbere is this damn pox virus that the greys bring in and that kills reds. Its a terrible death, the suffering lasts two weeks. Heartbreaking.
Old 12-15-20, 02:19 PM   #2842
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Default It's That Time Again...

"Hands off nuts and on mallets" it's...

CHRISTMAS WHAC-A-SQUIRREL!

(Friday 18th midnight GMT, for four whole days. Be there or be somewhere else)

Last edited by Eichhörnchen; 12-15-20 at 02:31 PM.
Eichhörnchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-20, 02:41 PM   #2843
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

Whack! Just practicing....

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-20, 11:53 AM   #2844
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

That's the wrong type of "whacking", young man...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-20, 11:58 AM   #2845
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Downloads: 527
Uploads: 5

what type of "whacking" do you think is wrong, PB?

I'm not very active on the forums anymore. If you have a question, please DM me and I'll respond ASAP!
Texas Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-20, 05:26 PM   #2846
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichhörnchen View Post
^ All very nice

BUT..... we must now gird our loins for the ordeal to come;
Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
That's the wrong type of "whacking", young man...
Quote:
Originally Posted by the beast View Post
what type of "whacking" do you think is wrong, PB?
One requiring the removal of one's codpiece...beforehand Henry VIII had issues with the concept as I recollect

When not judiciously whacking off the heads of Ms Bolyn or her cousin Ms Howard.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-20, 08:06 PM   #2847
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

I must be doing it wrong.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-20, 08:41 PM   #2848
Skybird
Soaring

Whoever dares to whack our cute tiny red squirrels will get a much bigger whack from me...! Whack the grey ones, if you think you must, but hands off our beloved cute red ones!

Two little friends in our garden, I am forming a slowly improving friendship with them, but their trust is hard to gain, and not in winter for sure. I hope that in spring, better summer after the younglings are out of the worst, I can train them better to get used to me: just the feeder, than empty chair with feeder, than feeder on empty chair, than human on chair with feeder in hand, frozen. Who knows. I call them Kira and Taro, a third one, Sari, unfortunately got killed already - and I needed to be the very unhappy guy finding her dead body, that was not nice, a bad day, I like these little creatures tremendously. 80% of our red ones do not make it over their first year, not even every tenth lives for its third birthday. The American grey ones are different in several aspects, but the most important one is they are social, the red ones are not, are isolationists. This makes the grey ones more clever ones (sociability needs smartness), and more daring ones.
Old 12-17-20, 09:14 AM   #2849
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Downloads: 527
Uploads: 5

I've been doing it wrong for a while now too. Weird.

I'm not very active on the forums anymore. If you have a question, please DM me and I'll respond ASAP!
Texas Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-20, 01:23 PM   #2850
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by the beast View Post
I've been doing it wrong for a while now too. Weird.
What exactly?

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote