SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-26-19, 08:03 PM   #1
Bayu Pamungkas
Watch

Downloads: 13
Uploads: 0
Default Is a Maritime Patrol Aircraft good at Anti Surface Mission?

1. Besides sub hunting, taking photos, or picketing (promoting link), is a MPA good at ASuW? It only has a few missiles (especially Viking), and attacking a surface ship with lightweight torpedoes is an easiest way to get SAMed.
2. Does in real life an MPA still be used to attack surface ships?
Old 08-27-19, 04:49 AM   #2
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58

The P-3 could launch Harpoons to good effect.

Think about the big picture, you're not going to launch an F-15 to fire AIM-7's at an aircraft carrier. That would be a waste of time and resources.
Rather, instead of hoping for "one platform, one shot, one kill", focus on a multi-layered attack using a mix of aircraft and missiles.

In LWAMI 3.11, they included the B-52 as a US air asset. This sounds odd at first since DW is primarily a Naval sim, but the B-52 could carry (and launch) up to eight Harpoons. P-3's and B-52's could be a very effective strike force when they worked together. Both planes had tons of loiter and search time and they carried enough Harpoons to get your attention.
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-19, 04:30 AM   #3
Bayu Pamungkas
Watch

Downloads: 13

Thank you. Once ago, I played some campaign missions with P3 (forgot the name) and for the ASuW part I just promoted the link and let the friendly ships did the dirty job. I played that mission when my game was vanilla, I am recently using RA.
Old 09-29-19, 10:14 AM   #4
tAKticool47
Bosun

Downloads: 1
Default P-3 is an amazing aircraft!

I know I am very, very late on this post but wanted to throw in a link

https://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/co...sub-1598415741

This is an AMAZING article of an interview with a career P-3C Orion pilot who goes into GREAT DETAIL about all the P-3s strengths, weaknesses, missions, even some comparison and info vs. the new P-8 Poseidon etc.

The P-3 was an absolutely amazing platform for maritime patrol and grew into a multimission, long-endurance, highly effective piece of military kit. And as the article explains, it was capable of unmatched versatility and endurance... I forget the exact example it used but it could load up with like 8 torpedoes, a bellyfull of sonobuoys, and do 8+ hours of antisubmarine warfare (using various sonobuoys, air and surface search radar, magnetic anomaly detection, etc.) -- prosecute the subs they found, then suppose an enemy surface action group is detected inbound, they could land, rearm with Harpoons, get back into the air as an anti-surface warfare platform, -- then the next morning they could rearm with AGM-65s (precision/ laser guided) and SLAM-ERs ( inertial, infrared, precision-guided land-attack missies) and go conduct ISR / Land-attack / command and control etc. over land.

Anyway it's a great article, that author now operates "The War Zone" at

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone

if you're unfamiliar, it's one of the best military news and info websites on the net (although increasingly extremely bleeding-heart liberal, but hey, that's very popular these days too lol.)
tAKticool47 is offline   Reply With Quote