Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-23-19, 04:25 AM   #1
Strategun
Swabbie

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0
Default Plotting an attack - 1st mission

Hello there fellow subsimmers! I have a question for you more experienced captains out there. I used to play SH5 way back 8 years ago un-modded but never really got into it, nor have I ever played any other SH game. I played with map contacts on and all that and plotted the attacks through the map etc etc. Now, 8 years later I grabbed the game once more and installed TWoS. Disabled map contacts, but still playing without Real Navigation.

I'm on the first mission and I've spotted a destroyer and a minesweeper travelling in a relatively parallel course to mine heading roughly northeast, and through the stadimeter I've checked tey're 4000 to 3500 meters away.

I still really don't know how to use the RAOFB wheel and still plot the attack on the map, taking their positions in 3 minute intervals (was at periscope depth and they were moving away faster than I,they are travelling roughly at 11 knots).

Question: how can I intercept them? Is it best to abort the interception since they're moving away, or is it safe to be travelling at this distance during night time (0400) roughly 3500 meters away at decks awash, go full flank speed and try to be in front of them to intercept them? Or could I try attacking them while moving parallel to the closest ship to mine whilst moving, send torpedoes at roughly 150 degrees angle on bow?

Also, how do you set/calculate/decide on torpedo speed?

Last edited by Strategun; 10-23-19 at 04:52 AM.
Strategun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-19, 09:18 AM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

Strategun! UNLESS HE MISSION CALLS FOR IT, WHY BOTHER ENGAGING THEM; AND DON'T CHASE SOMETHING THAT'S FASTER AND MOVING AWAY TO BEGIN WITH...

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-19, 10:41 AM   #3
Strategun
Swabbie

Yes, true enough they are faster if I'm at periscope depth, altough I thought to myself if I can travel at 13-14 knots with decks awash I would be able to eventually intercept them. It's the very first TWoS mission so technically the mission is asking me to sink them too
Old 10-24-19, 08:04 AM   #4
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

@Strategun...

Click my signature. Any videos you need for calculating or attacking ships are there. Hope you enjoy them!

DISCORD
https://discord.gg/6tFeTSUmVc
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-19, 04:05 PM   #5
Tonci87
Captain

Downloads: 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strategun View Post
Hello there fellow subsimmers! I have a question for you more experienced captains out there. I used to play SH5 way back 8 years ago un-modded but never really got into it, nor have I ever played any other SH game. I played with map contacts on and all that and plotted the attacks through the map etc etc. Now, 8 years later I grabbed the game once more and installed TWoS. Disabled map contacts, but still playing without Real Navigation.

I'm on the first mission and I've spotted a destroyer and a minesweeper travelling in a relatively parallel course to mine heading roughly northeast, and through the stadimeter I've checked tey're 4000 to 3500 meters away.

I still really don't know how to use the RAOFB wheel and still plot the attack on the map, taking their positions in 3 minute intervals (was at periscope depth and they were moving away faster than I,they are travelling roughly at 11 knots).

Question: how can I intercept them? Is it best to abort the interception since they're moving away, or is it safe to be travelling at this distance during night time (0400) roughly 3500 meters away at decks awash, go full flank speed and try to be in front of them to intercept them? Or could I try attacking them while moving parallel to the closest ship to mine whilst moving, send torpedoes at roughly 150 degrees angle on bow?

Also, how do you set/calculate/decide on torpedo speed?

Those destroyers in the first mission will patrol an area of limited size, if you follow them they will turn back eventually.

You can also watch this for instructions on how to use the RAOBF:
Tonci87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-19, 04:57 AM   #6
Strategun
Swabbie

Thanks for all the input. Took a look at some of the tutorials and I'm starting to get it slowly. Guess I need to be a little bit more patient with my attacks hehe.
Old 10-28-19, 12:55 PM   #7
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

Patience....?
You have no idea!

DISCORD
https://discord.gg/6tFeTSUmVc
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote