SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > Wolfpack
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-08-20, 09:28 AM   #1
RealMadDad
Mate

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 0
Default Wolfpack Modding?

When I recall Ubisoft´s Silent Hunter 5, which I loved, and the Wolves of Steel (TWOS) Mod and evaluate its adding of quality to the game, I strongly would advise the developpers to possibly allow Moddeling in Wolfpack too...

Last edited by RealMadDad; 01-08-20 at 10:20 AM.
RealMadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-20, 10:37 AM   #2
derstosstrupp
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 489

We’re doing it in Wolfpack BdU! Granted, we are focusing on low-hanging fruit at this point due to the fact the code is ever changing, but thus far we’ve got the following:

1. Torpedoes can now be duds, prematurely detonate and have the chance of losing guidance all with historical figures by day/month/year.
2. Torpedo ranges are now historically accurate.
3. Reload times are now in-between 10-20 minutes PER tube, sequentially.
4. Climbing down from the bridge is significantly faster (75% in fact) now. This is to simulate getting down the hatch very quickly in the case of a crash dive.
5. Attack periscope & observation periscope no longer have stabilization.
6. Binoculars may now be used in the sub. Note that this removes the "focus" feature implemented previously.
7. Friendly fire is now forced on.
8. Bots & Quick Encounter are forced off.
9. Dud and premature torpedo counter on end screen.

One-Stop Targeting Shop:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...WwBt-1vjW28JbO
My YT Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIJ...9FXbD3S2kgwdPQ
derstosstrupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-20, 01:00 PM   #3
Fidd
XO

Downloads: 10

Good to hear, but I see no virtue in having features "forced" if the possibility exists of it remaining a configurable setting. It just removes choices and makes the mod less widely appealing. There's lots of features I like in there, but almost as much that I don't. What we really need is a system by which settings of a game can be seen before joining the lobby, and universal changes to the game, so that all are playing on the same field/ I presume this mod would preclude players not operating the mod from joining a game that does use it. I would suggest that we do not have the critical mass of existing and new players that would permit the game's players being separated into two immiscible groups.

I may have read too much into this, but I think the game needs to be much more matured and complete before modding occurs...

That said, I applaud your abilities, and overall like the changes you are making as regards reload times, time to clear the bridge, end of periscope stabilisation. As someone who plays at atypical hours, when crews are hard to come by, the loss of bots would be a deal-breaker for me. A far better bot solution would be for the captain to be able to select which bots he wanted, imho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derstosstrupp View Post
We’re doing it in Wolfpack BdU! Granted, we are focusing on low-hanging fruit at this point due to the fact the code is ever changing, but thus far we’ve got the following:

1. Torpedoes can now be duds, prematurely detonate and have the chance of losing guidance all with historical figures by day/month/year.
2. Torpedo ranges are now historically accurate.
3. Reload times are now in-between 10-20 minutes PER tube, sequentially.
4. Climbing down from the bridge is significantly faster (75% in fact) now. This is to simulate getting down the hatch very quickly in the case of a crash dive.
5. Attack periscope & observation periscope no longer have stabilization.
6. Binoculars may now be used in the sub. Note that this removes the "focus" feature implemented previously.
7. Friendly fire is now forced on.
8. Bots & Quick Encounter are forced off.
9. Dud and premature torpedo counter on end screen.
Fidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-20, 03:06 PM   #4
derstosstrupp
Grey Wolf

Bear in mind this isn’t for the GP, but those participating in the campaign, used by members. We discourage use of it outside the campaign for that reason. As with any other subsim, mods provide options for people as regards realism etc. People take it or leave it. People sign on wanting the realism and challenge. Then again, I stopped playing in Wolfpack Discord with randoms after a month because I met organized flotillas that I played with (highly suggest you do the same, you’ll play either way, might as well be with a regular group), before going off on my own to create ours.

I can’t say I agree with the assertion it’s too early. That follows the presumption that mods divide the community. I’d sooner say the flotillas divide the community more than mods, but even then I don’t think they do - the flotillas and mods add depth and purpose.

It’s like flying around in Flight Simulator until you realize “how does this all fit together - where/why am I flying?”

One-Stop Targeting Shop:
My YT Channel:
Old 01-09-20, 09:58 PM   #5
Fidd
XO

Question: Does the campaign mod prevent normal play amongst "GP" players using an un-modded version of the game?

If the answer is "no", then I withdraw the assertion that it's "too early to mod". If "yes" then my concern is that if the experienced players gradually all bugger off and play in flotillas/modded versions of the game, leaving newcomers short of experienced players to teach them the ropes, then a case could be argued that mods are hurting the ability of the game to grow, particularly in the multi-player environment. My point being that nothing will burn out players training up new blood than having their mates leave the GP game - leaving all such training to them.

So it all depends if the modded version of the game is compatible with the "out of the box version". In a year or two, with a much greater number of trained-up players, then this distinction will be less important, but at the moment it seems - to me at least - to be potentially very tricky as regards the wider health of the game.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for modding in the ordinary way, but there's a logical point where it does more harm than good, imho, we're not there yet, far from it in fact.
Old 01-10-20, 01:47 AM   #6
derstosstrupp
Grey Wolf

bullhorn

You make good and valid points. As our campaign stands, we only run four crews at a time, and so we are pretty limited in scope, as is necessary since not a lot of people enjoy this type of realistic play. And as far as I know, we’re the only ones doing it, so it’s certainly not pervasive, and really only caters to what we are trying to achieve specific to the campaign. Plus we’re offering nothing more beyond what other subsims already have in terms of realism, With the added benefit of real crew management.

And yes, we do need people in Wolfpack discord, in order to teach newbies the ropes. But Having a consistent, trained crew is where I see this game really shine. I do not see the way forward as a bunch of random people with no crew cohesion just playing randomly with each other in Wolfpack discord, I see the future in organized flotillas, where people form trained crews, who encourage each other to learn and teach each other. That’s what I miss from the military and I get that from this.

I myself am a good example, even though I am part of this campaign and run it, I post frequently in Wolfpack Discord, and although I don’t play there, I post my tutorials, videos, offer help, so people still frequent Wolfpack discord and just because they’re in a flotilla doesn’t mean they’re not active there as well. On the contrary, they recruit from there.

So my point is, there are several things that could be the demise of this game, and we are not one of them. If anything, we’re here to keep people interested in the game while they wait for the Dev team to bring out more content. I’ve had my ear to the ground almost since day one and have seen the calls for more content. The Dev team is small and I cannot fault them for their pace, but I can’t speak for everyone, and many want content and depth yesterday. And I’ll tell you the experienced players have indeed buggered off to flotillas, many of them are with us. That’s long since happened already. State of the game? Well according to Steam, pretty stable.

One-Stop Targeting Shop:
My YT Channel:
Old 01-10-20, 03:25 PM   #7
Fidd
XO

I hope I wasn't implying you'd "be the death of the game"! I was merely sounding a warning tocsin that mods incompatible with normal GP play are potentially a tricky area as regards the unmodded MP game. I hadn't realised how relatively small the numbers were involved in the campaign were.

Many thanks for a very reasonable discussion of what must have seemed to you, early on, as unwarranted criticism of the modding endeavours. Much appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by derstosstrupp View Post
You make good and valid points. As our campaign stands, we only run four crews at a time, and so we are pretty limited in scope, as is necessary since not a lot of people enjoy this type of realistic play. And as far as I know, we’re the only ones doing it, so it’s certainly not pervasive, and really only caters to what we are trying to achieve specific to the campaign. Plus we’re offering nothing more beyond what other subsims already have in terms of realism, With the added benefit of real crew management.

And yes, we do need people in Wolfpack discord, in order to teach newbies the ropes. But Having a consistent, trained crew is where I see this game really shine. I do not see the way forward as a bunch of random people with no crew cohesion just playing randomly with each other in Wolfpack discord, I see the future in organized flotillas, where people form trained crews, who encourage each other to learn and teach each other. That’s what I miss from the military and I get that from this.

I myself am a good example, even though I am part of this campaign and run it, I post frequently in Wolfpack Discord, and although I don’t play there, I post my tutorials, videos, offer help, so people still frequent Wolfpack discord and just because they’re in a flotilla doesn’t mean they’re not active there as well. On the contrary, they recruit from there.

So my point is, there are several things that could be the demise of this game, and we are not one of them. If anything, we’re here to keep people interested in the game while they wait for the Dev team to bring out more content. I’ve had my ear to the ground almost since day one and have seen the calls for more content. The Dev team is small and I cannot fault them for their pace, but I can’t speak for everyone, and many want content and depth yesterday. And I’ll tell you the experienced players have indeed buggered off to flotillas, many of them are with us. That’s long since happened already. State of the game? Well according to Steam, pretty stable.
Old 01-10-20, 05:11 PM   #8
derstosstrupp
Grey Wolf

No worries Fidd! Hope to play with you someday! I understand the limited hours thing, I tend to be in the same boat (wife/kids).

One-Stop Targeting Shop:
My YT Channel: