Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Classic Subsims
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-12-09, 04:14 AM   #1
uk_John
Nub

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Weird Aces of the Deep DOS CD version problem

I have searched the threads to no avail, so I wonder if anyone can help with this problem I am having?

The only way I can get my CD DOS version of AoD (recently bought on ebay) to work is to install the game from CD within 0.72 or 0,.73 and start the game immediately. The game then works. If I close DOSBox and try to run the game again, whether from within DOSBox 0.72 or 0.73 (or 0.65!) or via my frontend D.O.G. I get the following error message:

HMI Error: sw_sound 'read_config_file' Failed to open C:\Dynamix\AODCD\resource.cfg

I have tried mounting within DOSBox and using frontends all to no avail. I have tried installing the game to different folders, I have tweaked memory, sound and graphic options, but at the end of the day, the resource.cfg file is there, it is not write protected, and after one initial game something happens to then get the above error on any subsequent try!

I have 23 games in my D.O.G games list, I have been with DOSBox since 0.61 and over the years have ran 100's of DOS games in DOSBox, I have never come across any problem even close to this!

Oh yes, and I have tried copying the resource.cfg from the CD again, I have tried deleting it, I have downloaded the floppy version and tried that resource.cfg, I have copied the CD files manually, I have copied the CD files over the floppy files and vice versa, and I always come back to the same problem!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
uk_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-09, 07:07 AM   #2
Shearwater
Captain

Downloads: 27

Could you send the command lines you used to mount your respective drives?
I think that memory and graphics are not the problem here. I can remember I had some troubles running the game myself (the very DOS CD version), but eventually I got it to run - I just don't know how I did it.
Shearwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-09, 08:18 AM   #3
uk_John
Nub

I am so so sorry to waste your time.I forgot I posted this thread and found the answer elsewhere.

My problem was that I was mounting to the game folder 'c c:\dynamix\aodcd' whereas aodcd only works if I just 'mount c c:\'

It the first game I have had to do that, as I usually shy away from mount c c:\ as both DOSBox and my front end D.O.G. complain if I use the root directory!

The reason I did the full folder\subfolder mount was because that what I have done for dozens of previous DOS games in DOSBox!

Anyway, you learn all the time, thanks for offering to help - you're a star!
Old 06-14-09, 10:51 AM   #4
Shearwater
Captain

Downloads: 27

You're welcome Since I've figured it out once, I have preferred to have some batch commands in the dosbox cfg file, mounting the folder in which I keep my DOS games as C:\ and mounting a virtual CD drive as D:\ - so far this has worked pretty well Happy hunting!
Shearwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-16, 12:04 AM   #5
green_abobo
Sparky

Downloads: 50

Id hate to dig this thread from the depths of davey jones ... but im having this issue, with the online manual 'gameplay' videos not working properly ?

Im using dosbox 0.74, windows vista 64 bit, & the retail cd rom version of aod, dos, which i just aquired.

my dosbox autoexec looks like:

mount c c:\
mount e e:\
mount d e:\ -t cdrom
c:\

An example of the error: the tutorial section...pops up this:

(error reading sct file: 31)

-warning file creation failed e:/\iscmprsd. $$$ db switched to max cycles, because setting = auto. If game runs too fast try fixed cycle amount in db options.

-Warning file e:/\ olm\31.sci exists & failed to open in write mode. Please remove write protection...

Thats what db status window reads. ^ whats causin it, how do i fix it?

Thanks.

edit =

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk_John View Post
All I can recommend is that you get a windows front end called D-Fend

Reloaded, as that provides quick and easy switching of various options rather than the cumbersome DOSBox
i did get er runnin with dfend reloaded. its still doing the same thing so far. basically any of the gameplay videos (in the online manual) are producing similar effects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
uk_John! After a long silent run! I'm playing Aces of

the Deep AWS!...I avoid the whole miserable issue by keeping up my old WIN 98 computer for that,

SHII and DC - a little stodgy but no headaches allowed in the mancave BBY! The 7 system is for SHIV;

V and newer stuff and I'm dubious about my free WIN10 upgrade on that one.
yes i want nothing to do with windows 10. seems like every version that comes out, is less & less game friendly.

im not too learned with virtualization, nor do i having a working windows 95 - 98 rig.

wonder if this issue exists solely with the cd dos version of aod, or the floppies too, in terms of trying to emulate older OSs.

also not seeing very much in the way of a google search regarding this. i think it has something to do with write protection, again judging by the messy db status window.

one of the main reasons i wanted to go out & get this (besides it being sweet ) was to have a working copy of the online manual. just my luck.

weird because the captain interviews & interactive maps function, just the gameplay video directory (& subsequent subdirectories) that are sketched out.

...endtransmission...

Edit = update. This was really aggrivating me. So ive been @ it ever since. I tried virtualbox vm ware, both windows 95 & xp, couldnt get it working.

Long story short, after alot of trial & erroring, it boiled down to adjusting the compatibility mode for dosbox, within dfend reloaded. I.e. not my default dosbos install location, but the one associated with the mounts for aces & dfr.

Anyway, set compatibility within dfends dosbox to full on windows 95, checked everything, including administrative privelages.

On a whim i tried it, for some reason right clicking each topic & voila! The historical & gameplay sections within the online manual are finally functional.

That being said, along with the update for boyancy guages, etc., i finally have aces of the deep running to full capabilities & im happy as a clam in a coral reef.

Not only have solved this conundrum, but also have tom clancys ssn running in full capability, thanks to virtual box in xp.

Two huge problems that have plauged me for awhile now, both finally solved within days of one another. Think im going to play the local lottery.

Thanks for the input gents. Hope this thread helps out fellow skippers in the future.

Last edited by green_abobo; 06-14-16 at 02:06 AM. Reason: to avoid multiple posts in the same thread
green_abobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-16, 05:54 AM   #6
uk_John
Nub

All I can recommend is that you get a windows front end called D-Fend Reloaded, as that provides quick and easy switching of various options rather than the cumbersome DOSBox
Old 02-12-16, 12:01 PM   #7
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome back

uk_John! After a long silent run! I'm playing Aces of the Deep AWS!...I avoid the whole miserable issue by keeping up my old WIN 98 computer for that, SHII and DC - a little stodgy but no headaches allowed in the mancave BBY! The 7 system is for SHIV; V and newer stuff and I'm dubious about my free WIN10 upgrade on that one.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-16, 04:18 AM   #8
foz
Soundman

Downloads: 220

Just an idea , but maybe vmware player or virtualbox with windows 95 on that .
foz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aod, aodcd, aotd, dosbox, problem