SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-13-20, 02:05 PM   #1
4H_Ccrashh
Helmsman

Downloads: 472
Uploads: 0
Default Depth Control Bug solved, new issue.

Ever since I started playing TWOS I had a problem with my crew following orders regarding depth control.

I use Mintons Speech and when I give the order to go to periscope depth, the bells ring and the crew springs into action and takes me to periscope depth.

When at periscope depth surfacing the boat is smooth too.

Here is where the "fun" starts.

If on the surface I give the command to "crash dive" (the actual voice command is "DIVE DIVE DIVE") the crew springs into action and promptly takes the boat down to "Terra firma" smacking the sub on the ocean floor (if in shallow enough water). If you're in deep water they will take you down to below crush depth singing happily all the way. You can try to issuing a new depth on the way down, like give the command DIVE DIVE DIVE and as the periscope goes under say "new depth 50 meters". The crew will acknowledge the order and still take you to Davy Jones Locker.

Same with changing depth but only in going down. If you're at periscope depth and give the command to "make new depth 50 meters", they again bring the boat down to 50 meters and keep right on a'goin till we all become
"squishy" ..........

and very flat..........

A crab "delicacy" if you like.

Also coming up to periscope depth from below, the sub bounced up and down until settling at periscope depth.

Well I figured this one out. It was a mod I was using called "Real Environment Revision 3" Don't have a clue as to why a mod designed to make the world look pretty woud throw a monkey wrench into the workings of my boat. .....

go figure....

but we all move on and I removed this mod.

my crew now followed orders.

But................. (don't ya just love the dramatic pauses?)

Then I noticed a new problem.

Keep in mind that the boat is undamaged.

Previously when transferring external torpedoes I would routinely order my crew to man flak guns and are free to open fire if a plane shows up. After removing the Real Environment mod the crew would not man the flak guns. After looking around I noticed that although I had given the order to surface the boat, it would not come up to 5 meters depth. It would stay at 6 meters which does not allow deck guns to be manned. I guess they are afraid to get their ankles wet. In another save game (same mission earlier point in time but in this "save" the boat is already on the surface) I load that mission and the boat is no longer surfaced but in "decks awash" depth of 7 meters. Blowing emergency does not fix the problem. Nor does repeating the order to surface. The boat stays at 7 meters.

Now I will add for those about to ask,,,,, "what was the weather like?" It was glass smooth with a full moon and no wind.

As a trial I took my boat back to the nearest port and came to a complete stop. Gave the order to "arm fishing poles" and "issue the sunscreen."

Perfectly calm harbor. Boats Depth?... just over 6 meters.. The crew would not man the deck guns or flak. I'm using a type VII-A. I'm in the coastal waters mission (second one). As an experiment I started a new campaign, same boat and configuration and when I jumped in the boat it was at the correct depth.

The only thing I can think of is my saved games must be corrupted.

As a final piece of 411,, If I reload the Real Environment mod back up my boat will surface at the correct 5 meter depth. Which is pretty cool if you don't mind the small problem of not being able to control the buoyancy of your sub while diving.. It could be a small issue in a game designed to emulate under water warfare.

I'm hoping someone has had this same experience.

I did try dumping the game and reinstalling from scratch but loading my existing saved games. Same issues , same problems.

So I'm back at square one in Danzig Bay still sitting at the "Little Captains" table. Dreaming of the day when I can hunt convoys with the "grown-ups".

I was tempted to go all "Silent Otto" on this sucker and jump to "Happy Times" but I want to try and get through the entire war. From "soup to nuts"....

Last edited by 4H_Ccrashh; 04-13-20 at 03:24 PM.
4H_Ccrashh is offline   Reply With Quote